Cargo Van Need advise

sarniko

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I decided to go with new sprinter but do not want to Waite months to get it build and delivered. I found one with all the options I want but it is passenger van. I am thinking this might be good idea as I can remove the seats and convert it to cargo and back to pass when needed for family and friends. Do the companies require it to be named as cargo van or does not matter as long as u move the loads.
Thanks

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To answer your question, some do and some don't. If you can visit with drivers at a truck stop and check out the different setups, as well as read the vast history of posts here on EO, the answer's will be clear.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A plywood deck and E-track are not going to be all that easy to rip out in order to put the seats back for the weekends.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I decided to go with new sprinter but do not want to Waite months to get it build and delivered. I found one with all the options I want but it is passenger van. I am thinking this might be good idea as I can remove the seats and convert it to cargo and back to pass when needed for family and friends. Do the companies require it to be named as cargo van or does not matter as long as u move the loads.
Thanks
My current van is a window van, seats removed and sold, wood floor and e- track installed. Once you turn it into a cargo hauling van you can't go back.

sarniko

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
My current van is a window van, seats removed and sold, wood floor and e- track installed. Once you turn it into a cargo hauling van you can't go back.
Why just lay down pre cut plywood pieces on the floors temporary so it won't move and do the same with Windows to protect it from braking?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When a nail sticking out the bottom of the skid, or a bolt on a crate, or anything else gets caught in the floor, when is dragged to the rear of the van instead of cutting a groove into the wood deck, it just drags the whole thing out the back door.

Awesome.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why just lay down pre cut plywood pieces on the floors temporary so it won't move and do the same with Windows to protect it from braking?

Back in 2008 I drove a cargo van for an owner and that was the set up. It is possible to do that, but it was a huge pain in the butt. Besides what Turtle said, the other problem I had was when the high low would push the skid forward for a 2nd skid, plywood pieces would move also. Sometimes a piece would raise up from the weight and slide over the 2nd piece or go under and knock it out of position. If your going to do this, don't skimp on the most basic necessity of a secure floor.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When a nail sticking out the bottom of the skid, or a bolt on a crate, or anything else gets caught in the floor, when is dragged to the rear of the van instead of cutting a groove into the wood deck, it just drags the whole thing out the back door.

Awesome.
You just described a self-unloading walking floor, kind of.

Reactions: Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you size the plywood side to side a secure with a few well placed screws The fact the wood is much wider then the door it shouldn't slide out...

sarniko

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
So there is no requirement from logistic companies to have no glass cargo van, what about the big guys like fedex, Panther bolt?
Do u think a crew sprinter would be more appropriate than pass? I need 2nd row seats for family. I think I can put seats into cargo but do not like no window look. AdventAge for pass van is the insulation and rear comp heat and condition and versetality at the same time

BigBadBen

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I realize I'm new to the boards and my comments wouldn't carry a ton of weight yet but...You're going to kill your carrying capacity by adding a row of seating in my opinion. Is this to be your families only vehicle? I think you'd be better off taking the $50k and buying a sprinter with 100k miles on it AND a sedan to drive your family around in.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well I welded my e-track to the floor, it's more important for freight to stay put, than taking the wife and kids to DQ, the side windows I don't worry about, if you worry about breaking side windows then you might just be driving a tad unsafe. My van was bought to haul freight and that's what I use it for only.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I need 2nd row seats for family.
How large is your family? I'm on my 3rd van. The last two have had the passenger seat removed. When I haul passengers they can sit on my bed or get strapped to the E-Track on the wall. Their choice. For kids, 55 gallon drums with interior padding and air holes would work fine. For larger families or the IIE (Illegal Immigrant Express) just pack them in until all available cubic space is used. Be sure to crack the front windows or open a roof vent for fresh air.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think you'd be better off taking the $50k and buying a sprinter with 100k miles on it AND a sedan to drive your family around in.
See? Doesn't matter how long you've been here or how many posts you have - that's the right answer. :)

So there is no requirement from logistic companies to have no glass cargo van, what about the big guys like fedex, Panther bolt?
I don't know it any of them have a requirement, but most or all of them will strongly recommend you cover the windows. You'll want to cover the windows for three reasons, one, so the world doesn't have to be subjected to your nekkid glory, two, for insulation purposes, and three, if people can see that (a) you are hauling freight and (b) what that freight is, you stand an excellent chance of having the freight or the van stolen.

Do u think a crew sprinter would be more appropriate than pass? I need 2nd row seats for family. I think I can put seats into cargo but do not like no window look. AdventAge for pass van is the insulation and rear comp heat and condition and versetality at the same time
Go to a hardware store, maybe Home Depot or Lowes, and ask for a Screwhammerdriver. It's a screw driver and a hammer in one! If they have one, you'll find that it doesn't really work very well for either. Use the right tool for the job.

One immutable truth in expediting is, the learning curve takes a path right through the wallet. And you will undoubtedly gain some very valuable, and very expensive learning if you try and use a van for part time freight hauling and part time people hauling, because it won't be very good at either.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Ok i cant listen to this any more. Its a bad idea. If you try make your truck a freight hauler that can be easily converted into a family hauler on the weekends you'll eventually find out its just gonna have to be a freight hauler only. Your plywood and E-track ect has to be properly secured in order for your freight to be properly and safely secured. That's all there is to it.