need advise on something

wombat4412

Seasoned Expediter
ok here is the question in the next coming months will be replacing my truck with a new flying kangaroo but here is my differ medium duty etc freightliner M2 or simplier or a tractor VOLVO KW PETERBLIT or maybe a freightliner OR WESTERN STAR but i will say this most of my 36 yrs out here i driven KW in australia but over here in snowy usa been freightliners but getting back to the point here i know where i can get a good deal on a 04 VOLVO but then it got to be strecth and a box put on it but i am thinking that a full size rig will give me better service than your normal expediter out there any suggestions
wombat ..:)

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
wombat,
you going to have to stay in 40'max bumper to bumper length.whether you pick any of the top trucks,its the truck that will make you more compfortable,remember yor going to live in it.

if yo go with full size truck,your cost will be more,but the longevity of the truck will be much better

as far as brand name,at present i'm driving freightliner,tractor,of course its an E unit,but i've owned petes and kws,for your best resale,pete then kw,for ride freightliner,and as i'm told volvo

the western star lomax truck with short hood makes nice looking sraight truck,and the star has pretty big sleeper

so what I'm saying,its just gong to be what you want to pay

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I met someone with a western star straight truck. The turning radius is attrocious! I've found my Int7500 is very good for turning. Cabover straights are also very good. The Col's Argosy turns on a dime.

For income potential, stay in a t/t. Straights can't measure up (pun intended).

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Tennessee,

Do you think t/t is better than straight if your running single, or just if your team?

Jay

wombat4412

Seasoned Expediter
well after 30 years of tractor trailer work include in that 27 years of road trains in the outback trying to hit mistake ok trying to miss the roo,s that one is for the animal lovers ok and trying to miss the emu camels wild horses and these annoying city slickers in there so call toorak tractors as we call them you know the land rovers toyota cruisers etc that the only dirt they see is when they pull into there drivway at home in the city them they come into the outback and when you roaring down the track hauling 298000 lbs and these toorak tractors gets in front of you well most of you guys out here have heard of these road trains and the bloody big roo bar in front of the grille well you are really temped to ok never mind back to my reply is medium duty or tractor the better choice currently in a fl70 but i am thinking tractor converted to straight is better ??
wombat ( pete )

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Jay, I shoulda been more specific. If you run independantly, a tractor is the way to go, solo or team. If you're with a company, it depends on that company... what their rules are, what their rates are, what they charge for trailer use, etc. There are so many variables to look at with companies. Some may do better in straights, some as team. Everything there revolves around the company.

Wombat... if you choose to go straight, I would get a stretched tractor. The engine is built to go longer, you can carry more, you can put more accessories on it and not worry about weight, maintainence is more accessible, etc.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

wombat4412

Seasoned Expediter
i already gone straight been straight now 5 years or so fl70 but now it is time to update ouch !! more payments to the bank but i am wondering wondering tractor strecth or medium duty expeditor and if i should get a tractor and get the work done myself or find one already done actually found a nice volvo today but single axle now i am trying to find out info on putting a tag axle on it if i choose to go with this unit as the weigh of unit is already 20980 lbs being with fedex i want to say as a D unit and current weigh of this truck would drop us into a C unit no way but back to searching the world wide web
pete ( wombat )}>

Jayman

Expert Expediter
If I do the Straight gig and I buy versus drive for somebody else, it will be a stretched tractor. They give a better ride, have a longer life, and have more power. There are a few advertised. Or, you can buy the tractor and have the stretch done your self. If you have it done yourself...talk to somebody at Frame & Spring located in Columbus, OH. 800.422.0031