need advice on tweener truck

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
gracie and i are talking more about teaming. she is d trk shy. we have discussed an aerocell van at 17' or more with a gvrw 12k to 19k#. ramps used for dock high. we would carve out 5 ft in the box for sleeper space. this would get us b and c loads ans still be a relatively small vehicle not much larger than a sprinter which she has driven.

open to all thoughts.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Well for one thing, you will not really be a "C" unit so i don't see any company paying you C rate. However I can see them expecting you to carry C freight. The second thing is your empty weight. Even with a GVW of 12,500# you wont be able to carry much more then 3000#

I know that logging won't hinder you that much comming out of a D unit but remember, every mile must be logged even when one of you comes out of the truck for a week or so.

Don't expect to get over 10 or 11 mpg, I don't care what the dealer says.

All that said I would never return to a regular van. If I was not able to keep my aerocell, I would just find something else to do. The condo cut and stand up sleeper is worth every dime of the cost.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a friend that recently had one of those Areocell's built. He's a team with Landstar and downsized from a D-unit. It's a Ford E-450 with a V-10. 14k and change GVW. It was a big mistake! He's sitting and doing nothing. Something like 3 loads in a month or 6 weeks. The gas mileage is terrible, my M2 D-unit with a Mercedes gets better mileage. Not a good idea, IMHO.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Well for one thing, you will not really be a "C" unit so i don't see any company paying you C rate. However I can see them expecting you to carry C freight. The second thing is your empty weight. Even with a GVW of 12,500# you wont be able to carry much more then 3000#

one of the trucks available is 12k another is 14 and change which shoould carry 4500 lbs. anything over 3k with bolt is a c rate.

I know that logging won't hinder you that much comming out of a D unit but remember, every mile must be logged even when one of you comes out of the truck for a week or so.

Don't expect to get over 10 or 11 mpg, I don't care what the dealer says.

would like a diesel. the 14k truck owner claims 18.5 mpg with the d-max.

All that said I would never return to a regular van. If I was not able to keep my aerocell, I would just find something else to do. The condo cut and stand up sleeper is worth every dime of the cost.

the ability to stand up and put on your pants.......priceless.

highway star...thanks.