Need advice on D unit

omalljd

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I currently run a B unit and I have hired a driver to run this unit. I have been doing research on D units and I have been reading quite a few horror stories on these forums. I have looked at Kenworth T300's and Freightliner FL70's and 80's. Could someone give me some good advice on which direction to go and also what equipment is practical and not a waste of my money. I am looking to make a good business decision not impress the crowd.

Thanks,

Jeff:)

Bigtyme

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well Jeff, whatever you do don't buy an FL70 with a 3126 Cat with a Spicer 7 speed behind it... If I were to buy another D unit it would probably be an FL106 with that Detroit 50 series 300 horse four cylinder and 8 speed Eaton behind it.I have heard good things about the Detroit engine...Kenworths sound like a good truck too, but anyone I met who had one just got it, and their only complaint was the cab is kinda small. Also I hear Peterbuilt makes a good one. If you plan on running a team make sure you get an air ride sleeper. If your truck purchase is going to be a used unit check the warranty with the manufacturer before you agree to purchase it. I learned that lesson the expensive way :( :( .. Good luck on your new journey, Andy .. [email protected]

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i would go with a western star d unit tsi in north jackson oh
i76 ex 57, has a couple in stock and there at a good price
and have factory mount sleeper, there in 76inch sleeper range
ride good, they have cat engine , eaton slect auto shift,
with a genset on it be a great unit
ask for bill moore 800 388 3850,

i have a western star c unit and getting 9.64 per gal
it is over spec c unit, but if it's not a star it not a truck

binkleylane

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Jeff, you just ask the $64 question. I have researched this for about two years and purchaced a Kenworth in June.

There are several schools of thought about the whys and wherefors but in my opnion it comes down to dollars out vs. performance. Of course there are many other factors to consider but the bottom line is going to be how much truck you can afford to buy and operate vs. the type of operation you do. Ie. If you are going to team operate then you will want comfort, warranty and operating cost to be a major considerations. Operating solo changes these factors some, ie operating cost becomes more imporatant.

I run solo, about 10K per month. My income goal is 7/8 k. The Kenworth meets these needs ( operating cost, truck payment, insurance ect. ) the best for me. If I were running a team I would go Class 8 for comfort and operating costs. I would NOT go to a fl 70/80 class truck because your operating costs will more and comfort levels the least. Truth is that they were not designed for this type of application and will not provide long term satisifaction in either of the two catigories. In fact you can purchace the Kenworth for about the same money as the FL 70/80.

These are just some of the factors involved and it is not a easy decision, especially when you consider you will be living "in" that decision for a next three to five years.

Let me know if you need more info, I'll be glad to go through the whole routine.

Bob

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The KW T300 and its brother Pete 330 are definitely a much better bet than the FL70/80. The KW/Pete have class 8 chassis and powertrains without being stretched tractors. I run an older FL70, which has been decent for the most part, but the newer FL70's are total junk. I recently tested the T300 as a replacement D unit with a Cummins ISC and super 10. The cab is smaller than the FL70 but its quality is so much better. This truck doesn't have the junky feeling to it that the Freightliner business class trucks do. Plenty powerful (315 HP) and the Eaton super 10 speed is much easier to shift than a straight 9 or 10 speed. Has engine brake too. I tested this truck at Ft Wayne truck center, where they can equip the KW to your needs for around the same price as an Alumi-Bunk FL70/80. If I decide to "take the plunge" and replace my FL70, the T300 will be the ride.
-Weave-

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am in 100% agreement with Weave re the Kenworth T 300 vs the FL 70/80.Freightliner had a good thing going but their corporate German Parent wanted to squeeze a few exta bucks out of each sale so they went to junk engines and transmissions.The truck is not what it was,but having worked for a German Company (Siemens) for several years in the past,no American will tell them anything they don!t want to hear .Sales are down this year so lets get rid of the CEO Jim Hebe who was a Owner Operator guy. Anyway I have also been in a T 300 and was impressed,the only thing I could not get out of Ft Wayne KW was a clear warranty statement.The salesman was vague,all I wanted was what does KW warrant and for how long.I could not get a good definitve answer..but other than a small cab I think it!s a good truck.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I recently purchased an FL70. To be honest, the reason for choosing this truck was strickly economical. The truck will be used 6 months for my "other" business and then 6 months for expediting. If things work out, I will replace this truck in about 2 years and would probably go with another make (Pete, WS, KW or Freightliner 106).

The truck is a 1998, with a 22.5' box, 60" sleeper, Cat3126 and a 6 speed Eaton trans. It has 375,000 miles, and everything (engine, trans, drive train, electrical etc.) was checked out by my mechanic.

This was a repo, and I picked it up from Mercedes Benz Finance, through a Freightliner dealer, for $16,000+. That included new windshield, complete detailing, and every item on DOT test that required repair, was fixed.

Freightliner is currently stuck with a lot of used and repo expediter trucks. If you shop around, there are great deals out there for a first truck.

With the reposessed truck, it appears to work this way.

The Freightliner dealer is paid storage for keeping the trucks on their lot. When the bid is accepted, the salesperson gets about $200 for selling the truck. If you are purchasing a repo, you want to find out if the dealer made a rejected bid to Mercedes Benz, and find out what the amount was. Ask the dealer what they had requested Mercedes Benz to repair, replace etc. on the truck, when the bid was submitted. That way you have a chance to find out (maybe) what the dealer felt needed to be repaired. You can then put all of that together and make your own bid for the truck. They will probably make a counter offer.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Larry

omalljd

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the advice on the Western Star. I spoke to Bill Moore and we had a good discussion about the unit. I am going tomorrow to look at the units he has in stock. Can you give me any advice as to what they are discounting these units or how did you negotiate a price?

Thanks again,

Jeff O'Malley:)