NCAAF 2019-2020

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Big Ten Football hot takes:
Ohio State looks to be the best team by a little over Wisconsin and Penn State.
We'll see though. They play each other in a few weeks. Michigan's defense played very well and should get better as the season progresses.
Michigan's offense is discombobulated. No signs of improving. Starting QB has played poorly in this new spread offense and looks broken. They should just go back to last year's version of offense. But probably not doable scrapping in midseason. They have a lot of talent on offense but it is being wasted.
Minnesota is still undefeated and may pose a challenge to Wisconsin in the West division as well as Iowa. Wisconsin seems to be the prohibitive favorite in the West though. They look like a possible playoff team.
Regarding SEC: Orgaron and Mullen appear to have LSU and Florida relevant again.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
SEC needed a little shake up .... agreed, dogs are out.
I think ...
GA plays FL & Auburn over the next 2 weeks. GA could still find a way to face Alabama or LSU in the SEC Championship Game ... or dare I say Auburn! Auburn's next 3 games: LSU, GA & Alabama!!! Wow ...
If Auburn wins those 3 games, they would still have to play in an SEC Championship game. Is there a schedule in any conference like that?

We'll see ...

My Top 5 teams currently ...

Alabama
LSU
Oklahoma
Ohio St
Clemson

Last edited:
Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
While not a 3 game gauntlet like Auburn's, part of Michigan's remaining schedule includes Penn State, Notre Dame, and Ohio State. *They also play their instate rivalry game. While MSU is having a down year, it is still will be a tough Hatfields against the MCoys type game. And oh yeah, if they make it thru all of that, they'll probably have to play Wisconsin again in the BT championship game. Good luck with that.
Very unlikely given Michigan's current level of play.

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Top 5 teams in no order:
Clemson
Wisconsin
Alabama
Oklahoma
Ohio State

2 teams from the Big10 ..... ??

Ya left out the team I currently think will win it all. LSU finally has a quarterback and can score points. Gone are the days of being a one dimensional defensive juggernaut and winning games 14-10. They've followed Alabama's lead and can now put 40 up on anybody. LSU plays Alabama on Nov 9th ... it's a national championship level game! College Gameday will be there for sure ...

How many losses would Ohio St or Wisconsin have playing in the SEC?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
2 teams from the Big10 ..... ??

Ya left out the team I currently think will win it all. LSU finally has a quarterback and can score points. Gone are the days of being a one dimensional defensive juggernaut and winning games 14-10. They've followed Alabama's lead and can now put 40 up on anybody. LSU plays Alabama on Nov 9th ... it's a national championship level game! College Gameday will be there for sure ...

How many losses would Ohio St or Wisconsin have playing in the SEC?
One maybe or two.
You listed a top 5. I just listed a top 5 too. All five could beat each other. It should just be the top four since there are only 4 teams in the playoffs. Which if it were up to me, should be an 8 team playoff. Because you do have teams like LSU, OSU, or teams like maybe Auburn, Ga. or some other team like ND that if they win out should be in the playoff.
I would like to see some of those SEC teams though, who get to play in the fall sun, come up north and play some of the Big Ten teams like Wisconsin and OSU in early November when the weather starts to change and there is freezing rain, wind, and snow. Some of those SEC teams would probably tap out without too much fuss.

Reactions: Treadmill

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One maybe or two.
You listed a top 5. I just listed a top 5 too. All five could beat each other. It should just be the top four since there are only 4 teams in the playoffs. Which if it were up to me, should be an 8 team playoff. Because you do have teams like LSU, OSU, or teams like maybe Auburn, Ga. or some other team like ND that if they win out should be in the playoff.
I would like to see some of those SEC teams though, who get to play in the fall sun, come up north and play some of the Big Ten teams like Wisconsin and OSU in early November when the weather starts to change and there is freezing rain, wind, and snow. Some of those SEC teams would probably tap out without too much fuss.

Does cold weather really affect the outcome of games? Is there the belief that college rosters are made up exclusively of players from the home state? Those days are long gone. Here's the link to Michigan's current roster. https://mgoblue.com/roster.aspx?roster=3609&path=football Oh, wow ... look at that, players from the southeast. The most dominant team in the NFL for the past 10 yrs?.... yep cold weather team - Patriots. NCAA & NFL players can play anywhere.

Can you provide any evidence to suggest the Big10 is as good as the SEC or is this drivel?

Wisconsin - 23
Illinois - 24

WI would have 2-4 losses playing an SEC schedule, don't delude yourselves. Ohio St? .... we'll never know. They're out of conference schedule is so pathetically weak each & every year. Ohio St should have the guts to schedule an SEC opponent for the first game of the season, like other's have done. It would be a tremendous way to kick off the season. Nope .... they're too scared.

As for the playoff ....

People that want more teams in the playoff want less compelling football.
People that are ok with 4 teams in the playoff want more compelling football.

The fewer # of teams that get in, the more interesting it is. I realize it's difficult for most to understand this because we are a consumption society. We want more yards gained, more points, more goals, more ... more ... more. In this case, more is less. Are the NBA playoffs better since they increased the first round of the playoffs from 3 games to 5 games? Nope. Conference Championships will mean less if more teams are allowed into the playoff? Does anyone care about Conference Championships anymore? I do. For the past couple of weeks people have been talking about an unbeaten Clemson missing the playoff because they didn't look dominant & they're schedule is pathetic. That's compelling! If an big program went unbeaten and missed the 4 team playoff, that would force teams to look at their strength of schedule and improve.

How many games do people want these kids to play? The majority of these kids are not going to the pros. Keeping safety in mind, adding more games to the schedule doesn't make sense to anybody.

Lastly, if your team isn't good enough to get in .... too bad! No participation trophies.

There's lots of excellent college football to appreciate.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Does cold weather really affect the outcome of games? Is there the belief that college rosters are made up exclusively of players from the home state? Those days are long gone. Here's the link to Michigan's current roster. https://mgoblue.com/roster.aspx?roster=3609&path=football Oh, wow ... look at that, players from the southeast. The most dominant team in the NFL for the past 10 yrs?.... yep cold weather team - Patriots. NCAA & NFL players can play anywhere.

Can you provide any evidence to suggest the Big10 is as good as the SEC or is this drivel?

Wisconsin - 23
Illinois - 24

WI would have 2-4 losses playing an SEC schedule, don't delude yourselves. Ohio St? .... we'll never know. They're out of conference schedule is so pathetically weak each & every year. Ohio St should have the guts to schedule an SEC opponent for the first game of the season, like other's have done. It would be a tremendous way to kick off the season. Nope .... they're too scared.

As for the playoff ....

People that want more teams in the playoff want less compelling football.
People that are ok with 4 teams in the playoff want more compelling football.

The fewer # of teams that get in, the more interesting it is. I realize it's difficult for most to understand this because we are a consumption society. We want more yards gained, more points, more goals, more ... more ... more. In this case, more is less. Are the NBA playoffs better since they increased the first round of the playoffs from 3 games to 5 games? Nope. Conference Championships will mean less if more teams are allowed into the playoff? Does anyone care about Conference Championships anymore? I do. For the past couple of weeks people have been talking about an unbeaten Clemson missing the playoff because they didn't look dominant & they're schedule is pathetic. That's compelling! If an big program went unbeaten and missed the 4 team playoff, that would force teams to look at their strength of schedule and improve.

How many games do people want these kids to play? The majority of these kids are not going to the pros. Keeping safety in mind, adding more games to the schedule doesn't make sense to anybody.

Lastly, if your team isn't good enough to get in .... too bad! No participation trophies.

There's lots of excellent college football to appreciate.
It's about teams that play in warm weather climates that have to play in the elements. It does affect the way a team plays. Big Ten teams have to play nearly half their schedule in usually bad weather. SEC teams don't have to worry about that. They have it easier.
It's fairly common to see warm weather teams( the NFL as well)that have to play a team in a cold climate and not do as well. Some SEC teams play in dome stadiums.

I mentioned arguably the two top teams in the conference (Wisconsin and OSU) and stand by my statement that they may have one or two losses. They could go undefeated as well. The SEC teams don't play all the teams in their conference. Look at Alabama. Western Carolina? Riiight. They don't play Florida or Georgia. They have the 44th ranked toughest schedule. Their non conference is a joke. And their SEC schedule has a bunch of middling teams except for maybe two.
Regarding the playoff system. In every sport, there are a larger percentage of playoff teams than college football. The pros have something like about 12 teams make the playoffs with a little over 30 teams in their league. College basketball has over 60 teams make the playoffs. (Tournament) Those are two examples. I'm just saying it should be expanded slightly to 8 teams. There are over a 110 teams that play division one football. In competitive fairness, there should be a playoff spot for at least one team from the power five conference. It's generally not realistic to expect even a high quality team from those conferences to go undefeated for the whole season.
No other sport expects that, nor is that realistic most of the time.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Alabama's only tough games on their schedule: LSU and Auburn.
Wisconsin and OSU can beat those teams.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's about teams that play in warm weather climates that have to play in the elements. It does affect the way a team plays. Big Ten teams have to play nearly half their schedule in usually bad weather. SEC teams don't have to worry about that. They have it easier.
It's fairly common to see warm weather teams( the NFL as well)that have to play a team in a cold climate and not do as well. Some SEC teams play in dome stadiums.

I mentioned arguably the two top teams in the conference (Wisconsin and OSU) and stand by my statement that they may have one or two losses. They could go undefeated as well. The SEC teams don't play all the teams in their conference. Look at Alabama. Western Carolina? Riiight. They don't play Florida or Georgia. They have the 44th ranked toughest schedule. Their non conference is a joke. And their SEC schedule has a bunch of middling teams except for maybe two.
Regarding the playoff system. In every sport, there are a larger percentage of playoff teams than college football. The pros have something like about 12 teams make the playoffs with a little over 30 teams in their league. College basketball has over 60 teams make the playoffs. (Tournament) Those are two examples. I'm just saying it should be expanded slightly to 8 teams. There are over a 110 teams that play division one football. In competitive fairness, there should be a playoff spot for at least one team from the power five conference. It's generally not realistic to expect even a high quality team from those conferences to go undefeated for the whole season.
No other sport expects that, nor is that realistic most of the time.

No evidence .... OK, thanks for the input and biased opinion.
The SEC schedule between the SEC East & SEC West rotate every year.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
No evidence .... OK, thanks for the input and biased opinion.
The SEC schedule between the SEC East & SEC West rotate every year.
There's about 5 teams in the whole SEC that are any good. Each division probably plays 2 or 3 games that are tough. As I said, Alabama has a weak schedule overall. They need to step up and play somebody other than Samford.
Looking over that Michigan roster, yes there are quite a few players from the south. But that isn't really my argument. I know there is a lot of talented kids that come from the south, and yes a lot of them play in the SEC. But that isn't the only criteria for having a good or great team. Michigan has been recruiting generally top 10 or 20 classes the past few years. They've been getting quite a few players from the south, YET they still aren't a very good team. Haven't been a great team for awhile too. Then you have a team like Wisconsin, that rarely has a top recruiting class. Not too may from the south either. But they recruit many instate large offensive linemen, and are able to recruit a competent QB and a great running back. They play well as a team because they're well coached and have a sound scheme on offense and defense.
They lost to Illinois because they were looking ahead to the OSU game and didn't play great. They had 3 turnovers playing on the road. But they still out rushed and had more passing yards as well as having nearly 40 minutes to 20 time of possession. That's why they play the game. Any given Saturday.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Me: Bama is out of the playoff this year.
My better half: Then who is Clemson going to play?

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: