My new job: life after expediting..

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I'm posting their web page so you can get an idea of what I do. In a nutshell, I just take or pick up train crews to a train, from a train, assist conductors in what they do when they move train cars . Some trains are 10,000 feet long and shorter. I work the late afternoon to about 1am. I sit a lot, and then you don't. No, does not pay better than expediting, far from it, I call it milk and cookie money,lol, but I like it.:)

It keeps me busy and from becoming a couch spud...................

Homepage - Professional Transportation, Inc. da train boss, da train.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
oh..you are one of them guys...Kool!!.....I sat and had lunch with one guy in Portage Indiana he was between crews, killing time....

Now is it true?....you are to avoid backing up when a crew on board?....also speeding will get you fired if reported by a member of a crew?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
oh..you are one of them guys...Kool!!.....I sat and had lunch with one guy in Portage Indiana he was between crews, killing time....

Now is it true?....you are to avoid backing up when a crew on board?....also speeding will get you fired if reported by a member of a crew?

Yes and yes, no backing with the crew, but if one of them gets out and assist in the backing you are ok,,,lawsuits,lawsuits. On speeding, texting, yes u can be fired...We just had a guy laid off for 3 days for running 80 mph for 3 minutes. Our on board trip/gps unit transmits constant data tell management where we are and our speed at any time. We must have flashers on when on railroad yards. There are many sidings where we pickup crews in the middle of pasture land and rough roads in the middle of nowhere. I was told snakes are a factor in the summer, especially at night. That backing thing goes out the window when you are in a jam, we need 4 wheel drive stuff in places.imho.. We drive dodge caravans, they are loaded and comfy.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I've been told when a crew runs "out of hours" you take the replacement crew to wherever they decide to park it.
Guess they can't head to the nearest truckstop/ Walmart.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I used to run rail crews, some of the crews were very nasty on a personal level. They are paid very well for their work, and some had a reason to treat drivers very badly. Not all...some.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I used to run rail crews, some of the crews were very nasty on a personal level. They are paid very well for their work, and some had a reason to treat drivers very badly. Not all...some.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

So far I have not met any bad ones. Many now are Gulf war vets and such and we talk about the wars and such and seem to get along. I should have gone with the RR in 1970 , good pay and bennies. You can get on with the RR at 18, work till ur 60 and thats it. That train is your baby and it never sleeps.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So far I have not met any bad ones. Many now are Gulf war vets and such and we talk about the wars and such and seem to get along. I should have gone with the RR in 1970 , good pay and bennies. You can get on with the RR at 18, work till ur 60 and thats it. That train is your baby and it never sleeps.

I was once a "Gandy Dancer" I LOVED IT! Good pay and very interesting work. It required both physical strength AND the ability to think. I was laid off 20 hours shy of getting my DOT switchman's license.