My joke too colourful?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Guess I was a bad boy...my Road Closure joke was removed?

I suppose Santa will leave me a lump of coal in my Christmas stocking...:rolleyes:

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Guess I was a bad boy...my Road Closure joke was removed?

I suppose Santa will leave me a lump of coal in my Christmas stocking...:rolleyes:

:eek: NOPE! He's not gonna leave ya a lump of coal! Well, maybe he will, but he is gonna leave ya a bundle of switches! :D

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
HMMMM Got a road closure joke as a text on my cell phone the other day. That road closure wouldn't happen to have been in South Dakota would it? lol :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
HMMMM Got a road closure joke as a text on my cell phone the other day. That road closure wouldn't happen to have been in South Dakota would it? lol :D

That was the one....:D Did you think it was untasteful? Maybe I should do a poll?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It wasn't removed, it says it was MOVED. I'm assuming it was MOVED to a more appropriate forum, but for the life of me I cannot fathom a more appropriate forum for it.

That joke didn't even begin to come even remotely close to violating the Code of Conduct. The four people currently on the face of Mt Rushmore are four of the whitest people in the history of white people. Even Canadians say, "Wooo weee, those are some white white people on them mountains!" That's why Borglum chose the white granite of the Black Hills Mountains to carve them out of. It would be silly, and stupid, just to carve an Obama likeness out of the same white as rice granite, not to mention someone would call it racist for carving a black man out of white granite in the Black Hills. It would likewise just as silly to have a road closure joke about hauling a 300 ton lump of Vermont granite to South Dakota. So somebody makes a joke about putting Obama on Rushmore, and it's a racist joke. You have got to be kidding me. Sheesh. I got shocking news for ya folks, Obama is a tad bit darker than them white folks up in them thar hills. Pointing that out isn't racist. Removing the joke, on the other hand, may very well be, if you think about it for a minute.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would assume it's in the car wash or whatever the mods call it.....parked there while it is under review....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And after further review, according to the rules, it's supposed to be put back where it was, or a note left behind in it's place explaining it's deletion or any edits that a moderator made. According to the rules, each individual post that was moved, and thus deleted, should have its own note explaining the edits and/or deletion. Often an entire thread gets tossed, even the posts that weren't even in the least bit in violation. Moving an entire thread to the Truck Wash and then left there to die, which has happened a lot, is nothing more than deleting an entire thread, not merely the offending post or posts, without being accountable for deleting it. It's the Wimp Loophole that moderators use so they don't have to be accountable in not following the same rules that everyone else is expected to follow. The Code of Conduct is quite specific in how the rules are to be enforced. Either the Code needs to be rewritten to reflect how the rules are being bent, twisted and interpreted, or moderators should play by the same rules that everyone else is expected to play by.

I know of at least four separate threads that were deleted, not merely moved to the Truck Wash, but outright deleted, with no notes or explanations of any kind. Poof, gone. The person who deleted them is no longer a moderator, but it illustrates why even moderators need to play by the rules and be accountable. In this case, all we know is the thread is gone, and we don't know why or who did it.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It wasn't removed, it says it was MOVED. I'm assuming it was MOVED to a more appropriate forum, but for the life of me I cannot fathom a more appropriate forum for it.

That joke didn't even begin to come even remotely close to violating the Code of Conduct. The four people currently on the face of Mt Rushmore are four of the whitest people in the history of white people. Even Canadians say, "Wooo weee, those are some white white people on them mountains!" That's why Borglum chose the white granite of the Black Hills Mountains to carve them out of. It would be silly, and stupid, just to carve an Obama likeness out of the same white as rice granite, not to mention someone would call it racist for carving a black man out of white granite in the Black Hills. It would likewise just as silly to have a road closure joke about hauling a 300 ton lump of Vermont granite to South Dakota. So somebody makes a joke about putting Obama on Rushmore, and it's a racist joke. You have got to be kidding me. Sheesh. I got shocking news for ya folks, Obama is a tad bit darker than them white folks up in them thar hills. Pointing that out isn't racist. Removing the joke, on the other hand, may very well be, if you think about it for a minute.

Yeah. moved to somewhere we can't view it...

BTW, you have a way with words....funny

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
That was the one....:D Did you think it was untasteful? Maybe I should do a poll?

Are you kidding, I laughed till my belly bounced! heeheehee! :D

Well, If it wasn't deleted I must be too young to read it causin when I clicked on it, it say "Yesteryear, you don't have permission to veiw this thread." Hmmmm yep, must be too young! :D

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
What? Even jokes are being deleted now, and with no marker to explain? :confused:

Well PJJJ in all fairness to the moderators, the joke is a wee bit racial. Somein bout a lump of coal and ahhh higherups in our good old whitehouse. heeheehee! Not really a bad joke, but just a wee bit ahhh racial! heeheehee! :D

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Being a moderator is a duty to keep it all running smoothly, and within the bounds of good taste. You can`t open the mod`s decisions to debate, because what one person finds offensive, the other person doesn`t, so the mods have to go with what they think is the right decision, and accept the ridicule, praise, and/or wrath of the readership. It all shakes out in the end, but, even Disney has found out over the long haul, that in this day and age "squeaky clean" doesn`t make money. You have to throw some, sex, violence, and strong language into the mix or not only will you not have a bottom line, you won`t have a bottom. This site starves for good solid humor, because of the tight restrictions on language and topic. It doesn`t at all reflect the real life world where truckers gather, and say things like "golly", "schucks", and "aww phooey".
On this particular topic, if there was a racist point of view, i don`t see where it was. Isn`t Obama, just as white as he is black? But, no matter what the point of view, I don`t think the readership stats have suffered. Have they?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It could be construed as such.....

But when I erect...a cement statue in his honour do I add a bit of black paint to it?:eek:

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Just another form of sensorship. If you would have done a joke about Bush being a white cracker from Texas that would have been all right. Or a joke about Chaney and his shooting ability people would have laughed and laughed.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
New Title - My joke too grayish?

Thought that title would fit better, since the issue seems to be about white and black, which makes gray. Plus, with it kind of being in the middle of being racist or not, it sorta falls into the category. :D