My first major truck repair

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
I was at TA in Greenland, NH awaiting next load when my starter just wouldn’t crank over any more. I called CAT repair shop 50 miles away and they recommended National Wrecker Service who is located 5 miles away in Portsmouth, NH. So I called them and they responded towed me to shop and told they would get to it later in the day as all 6 bays were loaded up.

National Wrecker Service is a family run business with Mom, daughter and son handling most of the office duties with Dad doing a variety of duties in shop and operating one of many tow trucks. They are largest wrecker service north of Boston area. Their shop is the cleanest I’ve seen and they have two comfortable lounge areas to relax read or watch TV. The building looks almost brand new and they always have a fresh pot of coffee brewing.

As fate would have it they couldn’t get a replacement starter and I was to spend the night in Portsmouth. They gave me option of several hotels in the area and called the one I chose making reservation for me then drove me there. Rooms are usually $70 and they got me discounted rate of $50.

Next morning I walked around the local shops got a haircut and bought some gear for the truck and just enjoyed the time off.

I hung out at the shop watching their operation and talking with whoever would talk with me. They have a very friendly pit bull who will chase this rubber toy ALL DAY LONG. Just before they completed the repairs Landstar agent from Portsmouth called asking how soon I would be finished as he had a good paying load picking up 5 miles away going to VA. What perfect timing that was as they completed repairs within the hour. I accepted the load which covered the repair bill.

Not to wishing to hex anyone but if something happens in the Portsmouth, NH area I would highly recommend National Wrecker Service 800-457-0757.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
John just curious. If you want to divulge the info what did they charge you for the whole shooting match

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You may have been wise to not allow the TA to do the starter.

My starter was replaced by TA In Dallas. Work was satisfactory. The kicker was that the added a $90.00 core charge that they they said would be refunded as soon as they received credit from Freight liner.

It took 7 months,3 letters, 3 phone calls,and a complaint to TA headquarters before I got my 90 bucks back.

Oh by the way they also charged $60.00 to get the part across town. I am OK with that,but it would have been nice to know about this charge up front.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>You may have been wise to not allow the TA to do the
>starter.
>
>My starter was replaced by TA In Dallas. Work was
>satisfactory. The kicker was that the added a $90.00 core
>charge that they they said would be refunded as soon as they
>received credit from Freight liner.
>
>It took 7 months,3 letters, 3 phone calls,and a complaint to
>TA headquarters before I got my 90 bucks back.
>
>Oh by the way they also charged $60.00 to get the part
>across town. I am OK with that,but it would have been nice
>to know about this charge up front.

They should have no charged you a core charge for something that they kept. also I would think it would have been cheaper to get a taxi to pick the part up at $60, especially if they make this trip to the dealer as part of thier daily routine. T/A tried to pull that one on me - charging me $15 and then telling me that it was to offset the cost of them going there but I told the manager that they were already going there to pick up other parts for other orders and to pay for a delivery charge for something they said was in stock was not right and may be considered fraud.