My Battle of the Bulge

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
'Tis the season to warm up with a hot healthy drink...

I haven't really tried or made anything new for a while, so it was time to check another thing off my bucket list ;)

I've wanted to attempt making Bone Broth for some time, but not looking forward to a 36hr cook time, I tried some pre-made from Thrive Market.

Why You’ll Love It
Slow-simmered to perfection, our bone broth is made from the beef bones of certified grass-fed cows, raised without the use of antibiotics. This versatile product is considered a superfood thanks to nutrients like collagen, calcium, and essential amino acids. Heat it up and drink a cupful or add it to your favorite recipes!View attachment 16693
Well, I tried drinking 1 cup. Wasn't the most desirable drink for me. However, I did use the rest for a pot roast in the slow cooker. This resulted in the best tasting roast I've ever had.

For this Christmas I made a ham. I was about to throw out the large ham bone, when I thought I should try to make my own Bone Broth from it. With basic seasoning and water, threw it into the slow cooker, and 38hrs later was rewarded with a incredibility good tasting broth. Actually a little too good, I could of drank much more :rolleyes:

View attachment 16695

Now that I know I do like it. I saved the bones for a 2nd round. Next purchase I've been putting off on will be for a Instant Pot (pressure cooker).
This will cut the process down to 3 hrs. and suppose to come out even better.

View attachment 16696

Always wondered why Granny would boil chicken bones when she made chicken noodle soup.
I wonder if she knew about the health benefits :D
You will like this type of cooker.. my wife and i just did a pork & beef roast with beef broth ... hint : do the potatoes seperate after roast in the juices.. meals for 3 days now ..
I also carry 1 of these cookers in my van ... love it

another day .. another pond

Reactions: RoadTime

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You will like this type of cooker.. my wife and i just did a pork & beef roast with beef broth ... hint : do the potatoes seperate after roast in the juices.. meals for 3 days now ..

Yep, these cookers are great!
Not much they can not do.
I'm in Baton Rouge Louisiana and the Red Beans are cooking.
Throw a chunk of Pork Tasso in there and serve over rice, Yum!

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I've wanted one for a while, but since my slow cooker still works I kept putting it off. But is top of the list now.
I was wondering about using it in the van, but was concerned with the power draw. How have you been using yours in the van? Do you know the power draw it uses?

Reactions: ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I've wanted one for a while, but since my slow cooker still works I kept putting it off. But is top of the list now.
I was wondering about using it in the van, but was concerned with the power draw. How have you been using yours in the van? Do you know the power draw it uses?
I have tried to find out if a Crock-Pot would work in van with 1500 inverter?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You could run off generator ... but i carry into Driver's lounge and use someone else's electricity....

Also i bought mine Brand new for $20... at Laredo weekend flea market ( bordertown flea market)

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Just ran out of half & half for my coffee so I used MrsWornOut's "sugar free" creamer. Checked my glucose and up to 380. Double checked the creamer and it is sugar free EXCEPT the #2 ingredient is corn syrup

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Finally, after months of patiently waiting and to lose just a couple more pounds to reach my final target weight goal...

e29bcfd4a98a9ba7a856ece7ce12a63d.png

c3d76a128034393e80033f51535acb74.jpg

Breaking past my 100 pound weight loss goal was a added bonus

I believe two key factors slowed the final pounds to a snails pace.

1- My body's ideal weight was already pretty much met.

2-The gaining of muscle weight was at odds with my goal. Having now reached my goal, I don't mind adding more weight. As long as it comes in the form of muscle weight

26f7cf018ea1a87dbf75342ace6633fc.png

703d8e537155a7e7e337f8e6579a1308.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great Job .. i would like to lose 25 lbs ... but about 1 salad a week is all I can Choke down .. and Cooked carrots or green beans is my vegetables taste limits ... the breaded food items and fast foods are at a minimum... i just like steak , roasts , pork chops , loins , hamburgers and grilled chicken too much ... so 193 to 195 lbs is my balance , i guess ..

All aboard the Freight Train

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Great Job .. i would like to lose 25 lbs ... but about 1 salad a week is all I can Choke down .. and Cooked carrots or green beans is my vegetables taste limits ... the breaded food items and fast foods are at a minimum... i just like steak , roasts , pork chops , loins , hamburgers and grilled chicken too much ... so 193 to 195 lbs is my balance , i guess ..

All aboard the Freight Train
FB_IMG_1518123442272.jpg