My Battle of the Bulge

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
6e23e9a994560fa25512418ebfe70ee5.png

Even though my craving for ice cream passed by the time I got back home, I still wanted to give the blueberry ice cream recipe a try.

As mentioned in the tips section, I did substitute with raspberries to keep the carbs lower.

I must say this was delicious

78fe54539b25e86fe22d3ec7c36c177d.jpg

The hardest part was finding the mascarpone cheese. I never heard of it before. Finally found it at Meijer. Never realized how many specialty cheeses they have, until your looking for just one

d68adb694b491c00a859b9e3bc4f5106.png

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Greg and FlyingVan

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got a pleasant surprise today while doing some work on the van. I needed to wear my dreaded now oversized jeans. I had to tighten my belt 7 notches from last known location, to keep my pants up :D

I'm getting real close to attempting something I said I would not do again.
Return to the crawl space from hell, and check out/repair (if needed) my duct work.
I gave up on 3 prior attempts. The last time time I barely was able to get through the access point and pulled about every muscle in my body.

But, with my thinner size, I keep asking myself...

1083932.png

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not much weight change in the last 5 weeks. Been staying pretty consistent as I near my target weight. But a new low anyways. Continuing to work on flexibility and strength building exercises. Also, Body fat measurement updated.

84b8b06e3933624d01c4893e34ea9896.png

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Last edited:

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Congrats to those of us who are winning the battle and resisting the temptation that is Everywhere.
Comfort food is comforting, in moderation.
Comfort food can also make you uncomfortable... putting on your socks!

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's been a year since my last doctors visit. Had a 6 month appointment back in April but I cancelled it. Mostly because the main reasons for the follow up had changed. Since being on a Ketogenic diet, I have got myself off all prescription medications. I no longer needed blood pressure medicine and blood sugar handling issues were well under control without any medical intervention. Which he was very hesitant at the time, to let me leave, without putting me on something for blood sugar control, but I refused. Another reason to cancel, was any lab work at that time may appear a little wacky or misleading being in active weight loss mode on a Ketogenic diet. I'll spear you the explanation why;)

With my "Adult annual preventative visit" due, and the fact I'm paying for this service anyways, thanks to Obama care :rolleyes: I might as well use it. The visit with be covered, but any lab work will be on me with my plan. Which is ok, since I am curious how my lab tests would look now. Last time I was there, I was obese with high blood pressure and sugar control issues, so this should be a nice surprise for him. And I would be lying if I said it would not be a little self serving for myself, by showing off my accomplishments :D

Looking to schedule appointment during the week of Halloween. At least the appointment should not be scary :JC-hysterical:

I did come across this reference to help understand how to make sense of your cholesterol levels.
I already knew that the total cholesterol number was pretty much useless, without understanding the ratios. Something I didn't know how to calculate. Pretty easy to do. Looked up my last test results and did the simple calculation. Another reason I want updated labs to compare results. Judging from my last labs, I'm surprised he didn't try to put me on a statin drug also :rolleyes:

cholesterol-levels-infographic.png

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Sugar sux! Hard to find foods without it when you look at all the things that are sugar that aren't called sugar. Like going to Walmart and buying a gallon of iced tea with a huge red sticker that says "sugar free'. Thought it tasted sweet and looked at nutrition lable, it listed zero sugar but 38 carbs per serving. Scratched my head because I know tea isn't a carb. Looked at ingredients list - #1 water, #2 high fructose corn syrup

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Odd weight plateau...

For more then a month my weight has stayed within 3 pounds as I get closer to reaching my final target. That part isn't very odd.

What is rather interesting to me, is for the last 5 days in a row, I've been the exact same weight, and 6 of the last 7 days the same. The longest prior streak has been 3 days.

a0ac07c5ebf1cb7893db22e64b75e84e.jpg

Will be interesting to see which way this streak brakes.

2faed0c4d9755fcff27ba3d5441ce185.jpg

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When perception catches up with reality...

It took longer then expected for my self image to catch up with reality. About a month ago, my mind finally accepted the fact that I am now thin. Finally gone is the self conscious impulse to wear baggy clothing. In fact, I now despise baggy clothing. Unfortunately, 85% of my clothing is still way too big. But that's a problem I don't mind having

I pretty much got the summer/warm weather clothing updated, but heading into the colder winter months, time for some more upgrading, or rather down sizing.

Reading the book "Undoctored" last night I came a cross this quote that got stuck in my mind. Rather simple and ambiguous, and could be interpreted at first as a little condescending for the masses. But for anyone following a Ketogenic lifestyle, it really hits home.

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are". —Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Shopping for kids cloths...

That's what it still feels like while looking at cloths. Thinking there is no way I can fit into this. As I slowly update my clothing, I finally got a new pair of jeans last night.
Seemed like a simple task, but several trips to the fitting room proved otherwise :rolleyes:

My original pants size was 42 with a stretchable waist. Those became way too big so started wearing older jeans that were 40. Then they became too big and started wearing sweat pants since.

3 months ago, my recorded waist size was 38, so I figured that would be a good place to start.
Nope, too big. Tried a 36, getting closer. 35 (surprised they had it, but nope). Tried a 34, a tad large but close enough thinking they might shrink with washing. By this point I was sick of searching through the maze of pant sizes and got them.

After last nights surprise sizing, I thought I would check my current body stats.

Since 3 months ago...

Waist decreased 4 inches to 34 inches.
Neck size decreased 1/2 inch to 14 1/2 inches.
Total body fat decreased 1% to 13%
Weight decreased by 6 pounds to 98.4 pounds lost.

Weight chart.JPG

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
'Tis the season to warm up with a hot healthy drink...

I haven't really tried or made anything new for a while, so it was time to check another thing off my bucket list ;)

I've wanted to attempt making Bone Broth for some time, but not looking forward to a 36hr cook time, I tried some pre-made from Thrive Market.

Why You’ll Love It
Slow-simmered to perfection, our bone broth is made from the beef bones of certified grass-fed cows, raised without the use of antibiotics. This versatile product is considered a superfood thanks to nutrients like collagen, calcium, and essential amino acids. Heat it up and drink a cupful or add it to your favorite recipes!Thrive Bone Broth.jpg
Well, I tried drinking 1 cup. Wasn't the most desirable drink for me. However, I did use the rest for a pot roast in the slow cooker. This resulted in the best tasting roast I've ever had.

For this Christmas I made a ham. I was about to throw out the large ham bone, when I thought I should try to make my own Bone Broth from it. With basic seasoning and water, threw it into the slow cooker, and 38hrs later was rewarded with a incredibility good tasting broth. Actually a little too good, I could of drank much more :rolleyes:

Ham Bone Broth.JPG

Now that I know I do like it. I saved the bones for a 2nd round. Next purchase I've been putting off on will be for a Instant Pot (pressure cooker).
This will cut the process down to 3 hrs. and suppose to come out even better.

Instant Pot.jpg

Always wondered why Granny would boil chicken bones when she made chicken noodle soup.
I wonder if she knew about the health benefits :D

Reactions: ntimevan