My Battle of the Bulge

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Happy Friday update :) 30 pounds down, 19 to go to original target. The last few weeks activity level has increased. I even took up in-line skating of all things. I actually love doing it and it burns a ton of calories. I was able to do about an hour of skating yesterday but stopped due to right ankle pain, which started a week ago but I thought it was better. I will have to look more into the cause as I would be really bummed if I had to give it up.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Happy Halloween, well kind of. Halloween has never been the same for me since this marks the 7th year anniversary of my Dad's death, I could not forget this day if I tried.

On to better news, after a 5 day plateau of weight, I finally broke through at this morning’s weigh in. 41 pounds now lost, with 9 pounds left to first target. This is now the lowest weight I have been since December 2011. Even I have to admit that the last 10 pounds literally melted off very easy. I contribute this to calorie control, increased activity, better food choices, and my new friend on the road and home Subway.

Now that I have lost 41 pounds, I'm a little more at ease at revealing some numbers and info. When I started this journey back in June, I peaked at an embarrassing 270 pounds. At 6'3 I could hide that fact, at least in my mind, to some degree with baggy clothes. But that was just a poor illusion. Now at 229 pounds, I have dropped out of the BMI obese category and now listed as overweight.

What was the final straw? One of the most embarrassing and disappointing days of my life. Back in early June I took my 6 yr old daughter and my ex to a local carnival. Since my ex was not feeling well, I was the primary rider with my daughter. I was refused entry on several rides due to my weight, and actually had to leave a ride with, the walk of shame, because they could not lock the safety harness around my gut. This ride was particularly a crushing moment. It took a lot of convincing to my daughter for her to get up the nerve to go on the ride. When we walked off the ride before it started, my ex asked my daughter, "what happened, did you change your mind?", my daughter looked up disappointingly and said, "No, it was Daddy". I'm still trying to remove the knife from my heart over that moment, but vowed it would never happen again.

With 9 pounds left to go towards my original 50 pound 1st target, I indicated in my first post that I would reevaluate going for my idea weight range at that time. I now know that 9 more pounds will not put me where I want to be, and will be shooting at getting me below 200 pounds. This 2nd target will be about half way to my idea weight range and I will be in uncharted waters, as I do not know the last time I was under 200 pounds, but it’s been a very very long time.

Reactions: Boatcat

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you.....I bumped into Road Time last week...he was looking a lot trimmer as well.....the world is a little lighter and spinning a little faster.....LOL

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Whatever I weigh when my thighs quit rubbing - that's my goal.:D

This might help until then. :p
Body-Glide-Main.gif

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Its real. Lots of runners and cyclists use it.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update:

It’s been a rather slow month of weight loss for me so far, but still heading in the right direction. Currently down another 6 pounds for a total of 47 pounds lost to date. The psychological 1st goal of 50 pounds lost is close, but at times seem so far away. With the cold weather and holiday season upon us extra diligence will be needed to meet my goals.

Exercise has been down this month. The cold weather has sucked the motivation to walk or do anything right out of me. Even going to a warm facility has not been appealing. I really need to get refocused on exercise, especially considering I have a free exercise room just a couple of blocks from my home. Hmmm, I think my motivation meter just went up by 25% by writing this.

I also took 3 weeks off from (in door) in-line skating, due to reoccurring right ankle pain. Thinking it was healed, I tried again only to have the pain immediately return. On a good note, I did discover the cause to be an over tight ankle strap, so now I can skate pain free. However, on my last outing, I ran into an old friend at the rink who was with her 13 year old grandson. He skates much better than me and was sporting a new cast on his arm. He broke it two weeks ago skating at the place I go. Even though I love in-line skating, this really got me thinking. Am I putting too much at risk by continuing? What if that happened to me? What if I broke my leg? I would be so screwed. Even though I knew the risk starting out, something about actually seeing the possible results made it real. So I don’t know if I will continue with this venture, a tread mill seems a whole lot more appealing now haha.

Eating on the road, once my down fall, has been kept in check. 90% of the time I’m eating at Subway. Home, has been no problem either, until I go out to eat with my daughter and ex. Which despite my good intentions, turns out being an over indulging trip to a buffet that I always end up regretting. I always start out saying No No No! But then that Buffet part of me screams Yes Yes Yes! And I return to old eating behaviors. This is still my biggest down fall area.

Well, I accomplished my goal with this update. I feel more motivated now. I will be hitting the gym and subway today. I hope everyone can enjoy the holiday where ever you are, and be safe out there.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update:

It’s been a rather slow month of weight loss for me so far, but still heading in the right direction. Currently down another 6 pounds for a total of 47 pounds lost to date. The psychological 1st goal of 50 pounds lost is close, but at times seem so far away. With the cold weather and holiday season upon us extra diligence will be needed to meet my goals.

Exercise has been down this month. The cold weather has sucked the motivation to walk or do anything right out of me. Even going to a warm facility has not been appealing. I really need to get refocused on exercise, especially considering I have a free exercise room just a couple of blocks from my home. Hmmm, I think my motivation meter just went up by 25% by writing this.

I also took 3 weeks off from (in door) in-line skating, due to reoccurring right ankle pain. Thinking it was healed, I tried again only to have the pain immediately return. On a good note, I did discover the cause to be an over tight ankle strap, so now I can skate pain free. However, on my last outing, I ran into an old friend at the rink who was with her 13 year old grandson. He skates much better than me and was sporting a new cast on his arm. He broke it two weeks ago skating at the place I go. Even though I love in-line skating, this really got me thinking. Am I putting too much at risk by continuing? What if that happened to me? What if I broke my leg? I would be so screwed. Even though I knew the risk starting out, something about actually seeing the possible results made it real. So I don’t know if I will continue with this venture, a tread mill seems a whole lot more appealing now haha.

Eating on the road, once my down fall, has been kept in check. 90% of the time I’m eating at Subway. Home, has been no problem either, until I go out to eat with my daughter and ex. Which despite my good intentions, turns out being an over indulging trip to a buffet that I always end up regretting. I always start out saying No No No! But then that Buffet part of me screams Yes Yes Yes! And I return to old eating behaviors. This is still my biggest down fall area.

Well, I accomplished my goal with this update. I feel more motivated now. I will be hitting the gym and subway today. I hope everyone can enjoy the holiday where ever you are, and be safe out there.

so exactly what do you order at Subway?.....going to call you Jarrod the 2nd.....lol

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
so exactly what do you order at Subway?.....going to call you Jarrod the 2nd.....lol

Funny sometimes I think that, especially when I see how big my pants are now haha.
Normally a foot-long from the 6 Grams of Fat or Less choices. I'm partial to the club and black forest ham. Depending on the calories for the day, will have it on wheat or Italian Herbs & Cheese with either mustard or Chipotle Southwest sauce.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At Subway.com you can build your submarine online and it will tell you how many calories and how much fat

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanksgiving Aftermath:

I had a nice Thanksgiving feast with family. A great spread prepared by a great women. At 80 years young, I really don't know how she does it. Everything home made, as always, right down to the cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie.

I can't say I held back too much, but did limit myself to just one brownie cookie. It was delicious, but very heavy in weight. Needing two hands to eat a cookie sent up a red flag :p

I am glad that I finally got motivated to hit the gym again the day before and got in a good workout. Working out is a strange beast. I normally roll my eyes and look for any reason not to do it, but then enjoy it and glad I did.

The aftermath weigh in resulted in a +2.4 pound increase, that was not too alarming as I know that will fall off pretty fast. I was surprised that it happened by the next day (today) with a -2.6 pound drop. That puts me right at 49 pounds lost with one lonely pound to shed to hit my first target of 50 pounds lost :)