My Air compressor governor keeps freezing (3126 setup)

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Really? I figured if it was warm enough it would only be an intermitent issue. I don't have much experiance on how these things work & what not. What will happen when it really starts to go on me?

Doesn't matter what will happen when it goes. It will be "where you are" when it goes. Guarantee it won't be at a repair shop. And it will probably be when you are under a load and running a tight schedule. At least that is my luck. It is such a simple and inexpensive repair that putting it off for me, would be scary.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Really? I figured if it was warm enough it would only be an intermitent issue. I don't have much experiance on how these things work & what not. What will happen when it really starts to go on me?

Well we don't really want intermittent problems do we? Especially under a load.
But you are correct in thinking this maybe caused by the cold weather this time, but that Governor is sticking for a reason, whether it is moisture,oil, carbon built-up, bad parts inside the gov.. The cold is only giving you a heads up that she needs some attention.

As far as what will happen,,least case senerio..You will be left with no pressure.The gov is the brains so to speak for the A/C..It tells it when to compress air and when to stop compressing it.

Last edited:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I'll pick one up on Friday. Anyone have step by step instructions on how to install it?

With-out knowing where yours is mounted but since you been heating it up all week you should have a good idea where it is..:)
Usually 2 mounting bolts and several air lines going to it..Drain air system..Note location of all air lines and disconnect em..New Gov will have new brass fittings,install them in the same locations as the old ones,,plug any open holes with plugs provided in new kit. Attach air lines..Mount gov to its original position. Sometimes it may be better to put some of the air lines on last depending on mounting location.. If mounted on top of air compressor there should also be a small gasket involed..Clean mounting surface then bolt new one in place..
Tools required should be 2,,7/16 wrenches and an set of allen wrenches for the gov itself. ..I forget what size wrenches for the airlines. 1/2 or 9/16 ???
Just look it over and if you feel comfortably doing it get er done and save some money. If all else fails the Shop @ the TA should get her done in under 1 hour.

(Oh yeah...Dont forget your safety glasses and to crib your tires :))

jt1980a

Active Expediter
All week it's been freezing up. I thought I had a small air leak that was causing condensation, now i'm not so sure. The air system is dry. I've been draining the tanks & i'm not getting any mositure. The air dryer isn't spitting out excess water either.

After the truck warms up it's defrosts & works fine, but i'm impaitent in the cold weather & have been using a heat gun to warm it up.Only takes about 5 minutes.

Anyone have any thoughts about why this is happening & how I can correct it. It's never happened before

A comonly overlooked problem is a missing wet tank between the pump and drier. Some trucks, especially those bought farther south, often don't come with one. While changing the compressor will solve the problem, it will be a short lived resolve. I have bought two trucks that I had to ad an air tank between the compressor and drier. Otherwise the air going to the drier is too hot creating condensation beyond the air drier once it cools.

Deville

Not a Member
A comonly overlooked problem is a missing wet tank between the pump and drier. Some trucks, especially those bought farther south, often don't come with one. While changing the compressor will solve the problem, it will be a short lived resolve. I have bought two trucks that I had to ad an air tank between the compressor and drier. Otherwise the air going to the drier is too hot creating condensation beyond the air drier once it cools.

Hmmm not quite sure if I have one. My truck was orginally from Canada so it's possible it is there.