My Air compressor governor keeps freezing (3126 setup)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Quite often the governor he is talking about is mounted in an easier to reach location ; often on the firewall.
Just follow the small airline from the air compresser.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Quite often the governor he is talking about is mounted in an easier to reach location ; often on the firewall.
Just follow the small airline from the air compresser.

I think he has found it..He stated he has been thawing it out for a few days now on a cold start.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
As I Blackhawks fan I can't have you correct me.

I know he found it. I was letting others
know it won't always be mounted to the compressor. Go Hawks !.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
My governor is bolted to the compressor good spot for it.

Bob Wolf

Wish mine was but even at that it looks like that could be a pain by looking at the placement of the A/compressor.
My gov. is tucked down on a bracket coming off the motor with a frame rail in the way. Kinda pain in the butt on those days ya cant find your third hand.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The toughest part was keeping the light hand required for aluminum parts.

Bob Wolf.

Deville

Not a Member
Nope, it is an adjustment for the air governor, and youre air pressure. By loosening the nut, and then turning the stud the nut threads on to, You can raise or lower the air pressure limit.They usually are pre-set from the factory.120-130 psi is the norm.They are cheap and easy to replace, under 20 bucks.

Ok, that's what I thought. So if it's loose the air pressure goes up? Tight it goes down? I'm rocking over 130 psi now.

Deville

Not a Member
Sounds like the governor on the back of the compressor. 20 - 30 bucks at NAPA or Car Quest
Spend the couple extra bucks for the Halidex or Bendix try to stay away from the knockoff brand. Its a ten minute job
They are a simple animal and the Halidex units can be rebuilt if you can get the correct size O-rings and the bore and cylinder are in good shape so keep the core. Its easier to swap it out especialy on the road. Also when was the last oil change you need good engine lube if you want good air.
In a pinch you can tap and I mean TAP the governor with a hammer handle to get the cylinder to move. if it works its thegovenor.

Bob Wolf

I've been tapping it with a hammer as well. Duct tape & a hammer, a truckers two best friends.

This morning it was about 28* & was ok after sitting all weekend. I just did an oil change the first week of January so the oil is fresh. I'll switch it out next PM which will be in April.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Glad to hear your running.
You might be able to run the old govenor for a couple weeks if it improves as it warms up. Keep an eye on it and keep the tanks drained.
There should be only a couple screws holding it on so changing it is somthing that can be done at a truckstop. Also I recomend servicing the dryer canister not a tough job and allot cheaper than buying one. Give me a PM and I can walk you through it.

Bob Wolf.

Deville

Not a Member
Glad to hear your running.
You might be able to run the old govenor for a couple weeks if it improves as it warms up. Keep an eye on it and keep the tanks drained.
There should be only a couple screws holding it on so changing it is somthing that can be done at a truckstop. Also I recomend servicing the dryer canister not a tough job and allot cheaper than buying one. Give me a PM and I can walk you through it.

Bob Wolf.

Thank you Bob, I will take you up on that offer.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I've been tapping it with a hammer as well. Duct tape & a hammer, a truckers two best friends.

This morning it was about 28* & was ok after sitting all weekend. I just did an oil change the first week of January so the oil is fresh. I'll switch it out next PM which will be in April.

Not trying to tell you what to do and Bob is right it May last for a few more weeks. But I think your setting yourself for a failure that could be avoided. Your putting several months between you and the repair..At the very least I would swing in somewhere and p-up a new part, It just may save you from sitting on the side of the road in rush hour waiting on a hook. A gov will fail regardless of the the weather once it goes bad.. This isnt a costly repair.I would get it done asap.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
Not trying to tell you what to do and Bob is right it May last for a few more weeks. But I think your setting yourself for a failure that could be avoided. Your putting several months between you and the repair..At the very least I would swing in somewhere and p-up a new part, It just may save you from sitting on the side of the road in rush hour waiting on a hook. A gov will fail regardless of the the weather once it goes bad.. This isnt a costly repair.I would get it done asap.
I second that!

Deville

Not a Member

Really? I figured if it was warm enough it would only be an intermitent issue. I don't have much experiance on how these things work & what not. What will happen when it really starts to go on me?