MPG sprinter info needed

dean07

Seasoned Expediter
Howdy all, i just bought a used 07 extended 3.0 sprinter diesel. was just wondering what the 07s are getting, economy wise, my first trip with the sprinter was a 500 mile run, and i didnt get 400 miles b4 filling up, i thought it would have gave me better then that, my load was only 300 lbs, and there wasnt any wind, and all flat driving, my ave speed was 65. all your help would be greatly appreciated.....

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Bad thing about the sprinter is the small fuel tank. You should be seeing somewhere close to 20mpg. Highest I ever gotten out of my 2010 was 21 and averaging 62-64mph.

My biggest thing I can't get a 100 percent true mpg cause always scared of running out of fuel so I often fuel up when I get near 1/4 of a tank. Next time out gonna try to time my fuel stops and fuel up at the same fuel level on the gauge and will report back

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Howdy all, i just bought a used 07 extended 3.0 sprinter diesel. was just wondering what the 07s are getting, economy wise, my first trip with the sprinter was a 500 mile run, and i didnt get 400 miles b4 filling up, i thought it would have gave me better then that, my load was only 300 lbs, and there wasnt any wind, and all flat driving, my ave speed was 65. all your help would be greatly appreciated.....

That would be about right for an 07 @ 65 mph....from full to a 1/4 tank.....
with my 05 I get about 350 miles to the first half a tank...then about another 130-150 to the next quarter...

Last edited:

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
Fuel tank isn't as big as my old chevy but my 2008 sprinter has a 26 gal tank I average 17-20 mpg at whatever the speed limit is my highest ever was 23.3 that was going 57-58 on cruise just see what I could get I have gotten 400 miles on a tank several times just not at the higher speeds most of the Time I get around 350-375 on a tank

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
For starters your best bet is to calculate the real mpg number by using miles driven and fuel put into the tank. There is too much fuzz in discussing range on a "full tank". That being said, for real rough estimates I use the rule of one eighth of a tank (one segment of the fuel gauge) equals one hour of driving. My fuel economy covers a range of 16-22 mpg dependent on wind, weight, speed, geography, season, and fuel quality. There is an assortment of finer details like a light, direct headwind has better mpg than a crosswind. Gentle rolling terrain is better than flat... I'm usually driving less than 60 mph to get anything that beats 20 mpg, and I lose one mpg to the equipment I have mounted on the roof.

Doing a forum search for something similar to--sprinter mileage--will bring up additional conversations related to this topic.

eb

Monty

Expert Expediter
I "usually" get about 400 miles on 22 gallons ... 18mpg .. ALWAYS use mileage, divided by gallons for mpg, otherwise you are just guessing.

I have done better, I have done worse .. depends on a lot of situations ...

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Heck, at a 1/4 tank I want to fuel. Leaves me with about 6 gallons in the tank but why take it to empty.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 07 -08 seem to get about the worst mileage in the sprinter line up. I have drove an 07 for over 3 years. At 65 mph and little wind you will average around 19 - 19-5 with a head or side wind it can drop fast you can lose 1 - 2 mpg in the wind. Go up to 70 mph and it only gets worse.

bill98

Seasoned Expediter
I use Kevin Rutherford - Trucking Business & Beyond progam at mygages.com free for fuel 30 days average 17.98mpg cost $0.21 on 2007 sprinter