Motorola Droid Bionic

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Verizon just put up a Droid Bionic "sign-up" page so you can "Sign up to receive details and launch dates so you can be one of the first to get the Droid Bionic by Motorola on Verizon." It's the clearest sign that the Bionic is finally near its release. It'll probably happen in the next 2-4 weeks, since that's the norm when the "sign up" page goes up (see below)

Verizon also quietly added the Droid 3 to their smartphones page. Lots of very Bionic-like specs, with one glaring exception - no 4G LTE support. The Droid 3 does have the much improved physical keyboard, tho.

AndroidCentral got a hold of a leaked screen shot last week that showed the Droid 3's release date to be July 14th (which it turned out to be) and the Bionic's release date as August 4th.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's the plan. I'm eligible for the discounted upgrade as of a few days ago, so when the Bionic comes out I'll be looking to upgrade. Maybe not immediately, but within the next few months, for sure.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I have the Original Motorola Droid and find the keyboard useless since I can't use the top line, therfoe I never use it.
Does the Bionic have a keyboard or just the screen?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I use the physical keyboard once in a while, mainly the cursor thingy, and for selecting text, but I use the sandard on-screen keyboard most of the time. The Bionic doesn't have a physical keyboard. At least the prototype at CES didn't have one. The specs haven't been released yet, so no one knows for sure. (The cursor really comes in handy to go back up and fix auto-corrected words: ) )

The Bionic does have the ability to use an external physical keyboard, or so they say.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I have the Original Motorola Droid and find the keyboard useless since I can't use the top line, therfoe I never use it.
Does the Bionic have a keyboard or just the screen?

The keyboards on the Droids that came after the original are supposed to be improved. The Droid3 comes out soon, maybe that keyboard would work better for you.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I went from an LG that wasn't a smart phone but had a wonderful keyboard, but have become so used to the onscreen not having a keyboard is not a big deal at this point
I would liketo stick with Motorola though

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
We'll take a look at bionic but the DroidX is working well for us. We like the screen size, the familiarity, etc. 4G would be the only reason we'd switch.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
We'll take a look at bionic but the DroidX is working well for us. We like the screen size, the familiarity, etc. 4G would be the only reason we'd switch.

I agree but I think it also has a faster processor and in this day and age, we're all for faster!! ZOOM ZOOM :D

Camper

Not a Member
For those of you who made the leap to 4G, I'm curious to know how much of a difference you're seeing in speed and overall performance compared to 3G.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The difference is about 10 times faster. A good 3G signal will get you between 800k and 1.6 mb. A good 4G signal is 8-11 mb.

I downloaded a TV show that used to take 45-60 minutes on 3G, that took about 4 minutes on 4G.

Camper

Not a Member
The difference is about 10 times faster. A good 3G signal will get you between 800k and 1.6 mb. A good 4G signal is 8-11 mb.

I downloaded a TV show that used to take 45-60 minutes on 3G, that took about 4 minutes on 4G.

Good to know..So are you watching these TV shows on your phone or are you uploading them to the laptop for viewing?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
To the laptop. My 4G is the aircard, until the Bionic comes out.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Got the Bionic last week. I'm learning. It's a slow process for me being that this is my first smartphone of any kind.

I've read through the droid related threads here and picked up on some great apps (thanks guys and gals!! ) along with several I had already. I think I'll like the smartphone ALOT when I finally get all the apps I need and learn how to use it.

One HUGE problem I have is the keyboard. I despise typing on the thing. I did download a keyboard app and that has helped some, but it's still not good. I haven't tried to adjust it yet (as I understand, it has some adjustments..height, width, etc). I would just like to have bigger keys. I had a Samsung phone once with a slider keyboard and I loved typing on that thing. I wish this phone had that.

For the most part, I like a flip phone better as far as just talking on the phone. Maybe I'll get used to holding a brick to my ear, but it just doesn't seem right. I'll use the bluetooth while driving, so it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Got the Bionic last week. I'm learning. It's a slow process for me being that this is my first smartphone of any kind.

I've read through the droid related threads here and picked up on some great apps (thanks guys and gals!! ) along with several I had already. I think I'll like the smartphone ALOT when I finally get all the apps I need and learn how to use it.

One HUGE problem I have is the keyboard. I despise typing on the thing. I did download a keyboard app and that has helped some, but it's still not good. I haven't tried to adjust it yet (as I understand, it has some adjustments..height, width, etc). I would just like to have bigger keys. I had a Samsung phone once with a slider keyboard and I loved typing on that thing. I wish this phone had that.

For the most part, I like a flip phone better as far as just talking on the phone. Maybe I'll get used to holding a brick to my ear, but it just doesn't seem right. I'll use the bluetooth while driving, so it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Phones take some getting used to especially all the changes you are trying to adjust to. Depending on how far along you are there are some videos on the Verizon Wireless website for some of the basics and YouTube is another source for some good videos.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Phones take some getting used to especially all the changes you are trying to adjust to. Depending on how far along you are there are some videos on the Verizon Wireless website for some of the basics and YouTube is another source for some good videos.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Thanks, I'll check them out. The phone itself has quite a few help videos pre-loaded. I've got most of what I need figured out now. I've learned the phone is very basic "out of the box". If you want to do something (pretty much anything) well, there's probably an app for that! lol