motor opinions

jasimps

Seasoned Expediter
Hello,

I own a motorcycle shop, and we need a new tow rig. We keep breaking our 04 F350 with 6.0L diesel. I was thinking of upgrading to a more heavy duty truck so it wouldn't be working as hard to pull our trailer (14-18k lb loaded). Then hopefully we will stop breaking down. I would like to have close to 400 hp and 700-800 ft lb of torque from the motor, and for it to be reliable. I want that much power stock, not with a chip, etc.

I have heard that the Cat 3305e is a good solid motor. Is the newer version of this motor called the C7?

I have also heard that the International DT466 is a good motor that meets my requirements.

I really like the look of the Ford F650 and the fact that driving the truck without a trailer doesn't requre a CDL. But, I have yet to find one outfitted with the 2 motors listed above.

I have found one with the 5.9L Cummins 24V, but I can get that motor in a regular Dodge Ram 3500.

Any opinions on the reliability of this cummins in the F650 towing around 15k lb? We will probably put about 1000 miles a month on the truck?

Thanks for your time,
Alden

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
jas
Don't be taken in by the 400 hp claims of the -400 inch diesels. 18,000 lbs would easily be managed by the 466 you mentioned. Not sure what type trailer you are using but wind resistance in many cases is as consuming as weight.

btw.....do you have any 2007+ suzuki injected 750 engines laying around?
Tink'in bout repowering my pulling tractor.

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
Have you done any mods to the 6.0L and what problems have you had? Anything in addition to the egr cooler and head gaskets?

To roughly quote Smokey Yunik, "Horsepower sells engines, torque wins races". I'd be watching the torque more than the hp.

I've talked to a few tow truck operators that have the F650. Most said to stay away from them on the basis of handling and repair costs. At that time I was also considering the FL-60 and FL-70's with the 8.3 Cummins. But they also have their shortcomings - plastic dash parts, gearing etc. Depends on what you want.

If you have deep wallets, check out the Supercruzer that Ford made a while back. That is one cool looking ride.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Stay away from CAT engines unless you don't care about warranties. They are a dishonorable lot and will not take care of warranty issues. You will be screwed by them if you have a warranty claim. Cummins is a far better company to deal with and makes a better product that gets better fuel mileage besides. Caveat Emptor was never more accurate than when discussing CAT.

A

athurart09

Stay away from CAT engines unless you don't care about warranties. They are a dishonorable lot and will not take care of warranty issues. You will be screwed by them if you have a warranty claim. Cummins is a far better company to deal with and makes a better product that gets better fuel mileage besides. Caveat Emptor was never more accurate than when discussing CAT.

Thanks for sharing.

Towin2Long

Seasoned Expediter
Internationals.. lets see.. I am in the towing field..
I have a 07 4300 466 eaton ultra shift 6 auto..
the last two months i have replaced...
king pins, drag link, water pump, alternator, front abs sensors, front shocks, and it need soon, a new fuel tank (rust), air tanks for the air brakes/service tools ( rust ) etc.. drive in boston.. truck has 55K miles.. so they all suck.. all of them.. this USLD, EGR, DPF crap is killing the motors..
good luck with what ever you choose...