Motion sickness for a newbie team

Trucker1776

Expert Expediter
I've come across several people who've asked me the question: " what do you do for motion sickness (attempting to sleep) while team driver is driving. And tips on staying awake during those long drives. Anyone out there have any remedies? Helpful hints? Thanks.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Don't use a mattress with springs in it. That ends badly especially for your wrists,face, elbow, hip, and pride. Just my personal experience

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
We use a memory foam mattress, still get a little bouncing, but not as much as an interspring mattress. I also use ear plugs to help drown out the noise. My wife uses ear plugs and found a real comfortable padded sleep mask to cover her eyes. Try to cover your sleeper windows and close the curtains between the cab and sleeper, for us the darker it is, the easyer it is to fall asleep. We also have nice bedding, overstuffed down pillows and a nice comforter, and a plug in air freshner. It will remind you of "home" and help you relax.

Getting used to sleeping in a moving vehicle will take some time. The key thing is to have confidence in your co-driver, that they will be able to handle anything that is being thrown their way.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Only problem with memory foam is they will freeze solid in cold weather till they warm up!

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I have severe motion sickness. If I qm in a car and not in the front seat i will end very badly. At first I had a hard time with the air ride seats. I learned I had to keep it so it didnt move at all. I have a sleep mask I got at Target that has a little extra pillow on the inside at the bottom to block the light vs a regular one. Ear plugs also help greatly.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Tylenol PM and earplugs. Make the bed like you like it best at home. We used a latex solid pillow purchased at Home Bath Beyond. Go to Bath and Body and get a small can air freshener in the aromatics section - there are some made especially for sleep. If you use it every night an hour before you lay down, the scent will tell you subliminally that it is nite nite time. But, YOU HAVE TO TRUST YOUR CO_DRIVER- just as everyone has said.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Unisom sleep pills if you want help to sleep. They are same as Tylenol pm and Advil pm with out the pain killer. We keep them in truck but usually don't need them now that we are used to sleeping with the vehicle in motion. I only use when I've had a bad night or 2 and need some good sleep. We also purchased sleep dog memory foam mattresses, www.sleepdogmattress.com. It's really comfortable even though it's kinda pricey. Also changed out shocks and cab airbags and shocks and that made a huge difference.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Either Tylenol or Advil PM ”without the pain reliever" would be just diphenhydramine (Benadryl) which is commonly used as an occasional sleep aid, because it makes most people drowsy. As a regular thing, it's not good to use drugs for getting to sleep - you may well feel fuzzy headed on waking, and the long term effects can damage the liver.
As others said, make your bed as comfortable and stationary as you can, use the earplugs, mask, and scent, if it helps. If motion sickness persists, maybe Dramamine - but I'd check with my doctor first.
Staying awake is easier: combine music, (especially if it makes you feel like dancing!) talk radio, audio books, and crunchy snacks. Get out and walk on a regular basis, it helps. You may also get a network of friends who may be driving at night, text them to call you later if they're up too.

Sent from my XT907 using EO Forums mobile app

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
If I ise the unisom I use the unisom sleep gels which are just Diphenhydramine. The regular unisom tablets are a different drug. I also just have bought the walmart off brand.

kme0518

Rookie Expediter
Just a tip. When I started out 16 years ago I found it best to take and listen to music using headphones to help block out outside sounds. Also try sleeping with curtains closed and turn your head towards the wall to try blocking out your view of the outside. Once last thing is to try a sleeping aide like melatonin to help sleep and dremamine for motion sickness. But get these items at Walmart because you will pay a arm and a leg at the truck stops. How this helps. Stay safe!

Sent from my LG-VS410PP using EO Forums mobile app