More crap hitting the fan! Hoping this isn't a sign of the times!

tknight

Veteran Expediter
You all know I can get riled up on topics that invole my money, this one is the doozy!
Pa. Sales tax and use tax rules, I just got a 6 :mad:page letter from the revenue dept of Pa, saying if I do business in Pa, picking up/delivering I have to pay sales trax to them, even if Im not located in Pa. I have until sept 1, 2012 to get registered and begin collecting sales tax on all pickups in pa, and turn this money over to them cut throats in Harrisburg.

This is the tip of the iceburg on a lot of paper work and bull ****. I am going to give this to my lawyer and see if it's really legit or they are just fishing, probably going to cost me a few hundred, as he isn't a free lawyer. They have given me 15 days to turn over records and ifta forms from the last 4 years in order for them to assess me as to determine if I owe them $$$$$$$$$$$
They want to know all about operations, trucks, drivers, and a lot of other crap I don't even have to do in my home state, I wish I could scan this stuff so you all can read it too, WTF I am a 1 man operation, and get my jobs off boards, I'm not collecting this money, I get paid for my services of delivering goods to their stupid state!

They are calling me a remote seller, of goods and services. Hell does anyone know if Panther, landstar, Bolt etc.....or others collect tax and payt it to the state they deliver to or pickup from, what a can of worms this would be, I call FAIL!

Where did they get my info from even, that's what I want to know, it didn't come from my mc number , nor my ohio dot number because the letter was sent to an old address . The only thing I was thinking was big brother in Pa. is tracking entry and exit off the PA. turnpike through use of EZ pass, and is determining I am delivering goods and or/ services in their state.

Has anyone else gotten a letter such as this from PA, or anywhere for that matter. I can see the **** hitting the fan now!

Guess I'm gonna get riled up n

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I remember reading something on this from PA and I think NJ. If I remember correctly, it only pertained to carriers and people operating with their own authority. If your truck was leased to someone it wasn't a issue.
I would go with the advice of contacting OOIDA for all up to date information.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Could they be fishing to see if the Shipping & Handling tax was paid to the state ?
Since it looks like the do collect a tax for it .
With the tax on a mixed load being the worse , as on a mixed Taxable and non-taxable load , a tax is do on the whole load .
https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/214
Bandit2
sounds like another reason to stick to cv, boxtrucks under 10k and sprinters,imho. red tape will always be with us.lol

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I may be wrong, but--- isn't there a federal law that touches on this? Seems to me I dimly recall something, and if it is what I think it is--- PA and NJ can't do that. When it goes to court, they lose. It has to do with interfering in interstate commerce.

It's worth looking into, and while I'm not a member it seems to me that OOIDA probably has a handle on this.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
"dear PA tax collector. Loads picked up in your state are paid for in the delivery state. Loads delivered in your state are paid for in the pickup state. Sorry, you are due nothing as no money was collected in your state."

states are short on cash. They will lean on anyone/thing they can to ring dollars out of them.

This sheds some light on the situation. The bill has not past but it's an easy read with lots of information about what is currently going on with this. I'll admit I did skim some of it, but from what I read.. They can ask for the money.. demand the money.. but in reality.. they are not intitled to it.

http://www.trucking.org/AdvIssues/Tax/Documents/BATSA testimony 411.pdf

This is best dealt with your lawyer (you already mentioned) and accountant.

Last edited:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I suspect they can prove more than you think. if you billed a PA business that was audited. They know. If you paid IFTA tax for PA they know you where there....

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Problem solved ,yes it was Ifta tax payments that set them off ,made a few calls took forever to get to someone who knew their job ,wrote a letter saying I did. O commerce in pa just drove through their lovely seni state to get to Baltimore now and then a d faxed it to em
Stress avereted this time

Tk

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
About two years ago I received a similar letter from Arkansas wanting to know how many miles I traveled in their state a year so my tax could be properly acessed. I ignored the letter, deciding to wait for the second more ominius letter, which I haven't received yet. At that time I had my own authority and ran class 6 under 26001. I assumed this letter had to do with them wanting a bigger share of my UCR tax which was paid to Indiana. I doubt if I'll ever hear from them again.

rotcaal

Active Expediter
"as he isn't a free lawyer."

Check out prepaidlegal.com I use it. they also have a program for truckers.