Mobil 5W ESP Formula motor oil being discontinued ...??

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My ride: 2008 Sprinter 2500 170" 3.0 turbo diesel

I've been using Mobil 1 5W 40 ESP Formula .... it's the right stuff - MB spec 229.51.
I purchase it through Napa Auto Parts when it goes on sale every 3-4 months - $5.99 a qt ... great price!
Issue: I called up my local guy to get several boxes & he informed me Napa was completely out of stock. His Mobil rep informed him that Mobil won't be producing it anymore. Only gonna have 0W available from now on. I know the zero weight oil is also MB 229.51 approved.

Any thoughts ...?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is a darn good price! Wonder if you can call someone at mobile and ask about it.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Napa Auto, when it's on sale .... is the deal!! It's not a secret either. Whenever it goes on sale, if I don't get some early in the month ... I'm SOL.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mobil ...? I guess ....
Was hoping something would pan out on the grapevine ....

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You name brand guys just make too much $$ to be concerned with operating frugally ... lol :D

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I've been using Mobil 1 5W 40 ESP Formula .... it's the right stuff - MB spec 229.51.
I purchase it through Napa Auto Parts when it goes on sale every 3-4 months - $5.99 a qt ... great price!
Issue: I called up my local guy to get several boxes & he informed me Napa was completely out of stock. His Mobil rep informed him that Mobil won't be producing it anymore. Only gonna have 0W available from now on. I know the zero weight oil is also MB 229.51 approved.

Any thoughts ...?
What?!? First I've heard of that. I order my Cases annually through a local Freightliner Shop.
But the best price they can give me on the quart is about $7.05.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's the info I got. No more 5W 40 or 30 .... just 0W
Can someone speak to the potential, if any, ramifications of going to a 0W oil?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
That's the info I got. No more 5W 40 or 30 .... just 0W
Can someone speak to the potential, if any, ramifications of going to a 0W oil?

The switch to lighter weight oils has been going on in the trucking industry for awhile because it helps with fuel mileage. There have been no issues that I have heard about and the oil is MB approved so I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Reactions: Grizzly

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1928 Ford Tri-Motor visited The Wayne County Airport while I was waiting for my jet to arrive with freight. Beautiful wood interior.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: paullud

Hamman77

Active Expediter
Driver
Amsoil has a 5/40 MB 229.51 for $11.20/ qt. Even less if you become a preferred customer or a dealer.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Any thoughts ...?

I talked with my local NAPA store recently and was told that the 5w40 esp oil was discontinued but to use the 0w30 esp oil. The new oil has the mb229.52 rating also. It is compatiable with our sprinters and is $8.99/qt. I also understand that they wanted to make it a more lower ash and to be used in the newer sprinters.