Misdemeanor conviction

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I understand a conviction will keep you from qualifying . I had a conviction in '70 . Does that mean I can forget about getting into expediting ?

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
The carriers will tell you no,and from there end of it that's true cause they only go back 7 or 10 years.If the carrier requires you to apply for your cdrp or fast card it might be,at the expo i talked to Deborah Dent [customs help] she said there's a program in the works to address this issue i would talk to her or her people www.customsHELP.com

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Generally a felony may prevent you from getting into Expediting. Most Expediters require drivers to enter Canada thus the need for a clean slate. Misdemeanor convictions are usually acceptable.
Thanks,
JM
HotFr8Recruiter
:+

rhagan

Expert Expediter
I am a university professor. Some of my best students are felons. They are thinking "you ain't gonna get me back there". Check with an attorney, sometimes a felony can be reduced to a misdemenor, particularly after 30 years. Good luck.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
It can sometimes depend on the nature of the offense - but most generally it will interfere with the Canadian process. Some companies do not require you to go into Canada, so it would be worth your while to make some phone calls and research the situation further.
Best of luck - X1_SRH

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for all the replies . I figured it had something to do with going into Canada . I wondered if they went back 30 years .

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
Went into Canada last week with load, the usual, inside see broker and then customs. Agent told me to go over to immigration office.
There I was told about 'FBI file' that showed a record of mine back in 1978. Told officer about what happened, he told me that Canada will make me pay $200.00 for reabilitation fee, thus making the crossing easier. But he let me make run this time. My owner understands and I'm going to clear matter up.
Only thing I'm worried about is the Fast application.
In your case, when they call you in, you maybe refused entry and have to return to US. Best thing to do is to try.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Also depends on what the charge actually was, as pertaining to Canada. A misdemenor DUI/DWI in the states rates as a felony there, and you'd have to contact someone for the rehabilitation thing, like jrcarroll mentioned. Other things, such as assault (or possibly domestic violence), I believe are treated as a disqualifying factor. You'd be better off to check this out with Canada before signing on. You could always get stopped at the bridge while they turn your truck inside out because of something lingering in your past.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Ref: Misdemeanor conviction lets be real about this!!!!!!!!

I know a man who started to haul freight with a misd and had nothing but trouble trying to get into Canada. "He could not get into Canada without paying an Attorney big money to fill out special papers to get reviuwed by the Canadian Government." (BIG MONEY GRAB HERE)

This guy than was told he would have to get a pardon from the Canadian Government only to be considered after the Misd were over five years old before he could even qualify for a reviuw.

He was also told the money he would of spent on an Attorney would not make any difference to help him at all. Because he could of filled out his own paper work with out an Attorney.

Watch-out some dispatchers told him he could go into Canada while he is under reviuw. "Wrong," you cannot go into Canada period with out having the approved clear paperwork, "fastcard"

If you have a misd, good luck your going to need it.

MY best advise is to contact the Canadian Government and get the real deal on what they require before you can be considered for any approvals.

garman351

Expert Expediter
(Tennesseahawk) Is well informed in what he is saying. Any Misd for any violance is a big problem to deal with no matter how or what had happened. If you were convicted of that crime that is all the Canadians look at period!

mudtruck34

Expert Expediter
but with that i was told u have too pay anywhere from $150-700 dollars for that
got a dui 10 years ago and was told that was long enough
has heard different stories about that was told from someone at panterII that u cant have a dui 8 years or less or u wont be able too get into canda
but then was told by fed x cc that with mine having a 1 year probation i wasnt allowed too but called a lady and asked her she told me that was ok since i got the actual dui 10 years ago

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You can't count on the companies to give you the straight scoop on an issue like this, as it's not in their control. Canada seems to take each case individually. The only way to know for sure is contact Canadian immigrations.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Lets put this issue to rest!
As I have mentioned (Call) the canadian Government and get the straight answers directly from them ONLY! it will save you lots of pain and possibly losing your job over being turned away at the border for trying to haul freight in to Canada, or worse.

A teacher at Panther told the class if you have a misd and it's not for any violance convictions or dui's just to put down you have a clean record, "I heard that my self and so did other people in my team. Boy was he ever wrong, that was the first thing that was brought-up asking the driver why did you not put that misd conviction down on your application? They will find out everything you were convicted for trust me, no matter what year it was.

Under reviuw you can still go into Canada, wrong. Again a dispatcher told this driver to accept a load, but he knew better and denied her load offer. Because the driver called the Canadian Government and was told the real story totally different than what everybody else was saying. Pardon consideration, after five years of the conviction depending on what you were conviced for? a lenghty application that will cost you a few hundred bucks non refundable each year you make another attempt. Does it sound like I might now a little about this? I should it was my brother who works for me that I helped go through this mess. We finally leased onto a company that does not go into Canada. I have heard if you go into Canada with a load you can expect to waste your whole day going into and back out of there for what might seam a small run etc, is it worth it I dont think so. Money is time and being a truck driver you need to be a business man first other wise you wont be driving long making bad decisions on lenght of deadheads with no pay diesel costs etc.

Good Luck, Be safe.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There seems to be a long standing misconception here about criminal records.
IF you have a criminal record...no matter how old...it is still on file somewhere.
Canadians with old convictions on their records are often prevented from entering the US.
This "fee" is from a private company who will complete and submit your forms. That is not a government fee.
There are no guarentees that you will be approved for (I believe it's called) a Ministerial Waiver.
If you have any apprehensions about your ability to enter Canada DO NOT let the dispatcher persuade you to go. Dispatchers have only one function; to move the freight. They will say things to get the load covered but it will be you stopped at the border.

The Canadian Immigration Department has, to the best of my knowledge, offices in Canadian consulates that are loacted in the major cities.
Check with them first.

They have offices in Buffalo, Detroit, New York, Seattle and Washington.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/offices/missions.html

I hope this information helps.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
I've had this lady's nane and address in my Palm for some years now. I recall speaking with her at a truck show or on the phone at one time or another. Her company assists drivers with criminal backgrounds and the Minister's Pardon.

Hopefully nothing has changed with her address, phone or fees.

Lucy Perillo
Canada Border Crossing Services
Founder

Work: 800-438-7020
Fax: 204-489-0657
Other: 204-453-0099
E-Mail: [email protected]

Work Address:
103-B Scurfield Blvd
Winnipeg, Manitoba ...
Canada

$50 fee for Minister's Pardon

Hope this helps anyone attempting to be able to enter Canada.

Thanks,
HotFr8Redcruiter

wolfen

Expert Expediter
RE: Misdemeanor conviction-our recent experience

My husband and I started in expediting a few months ago with one of the Big 3. My husband had a DUI in 1985, also a misd. marijuana possession from same time period. I had only the misd. marijuana possession charge on my record.

The company told my husband he would have to apply for a Canadian pardon or rehabilitation and gave him Lucy Perillos number to call. She told us it would cost $800? to get the pardon, of that I assume approx $200 goes to the Canadian authorites for the pardon.

I had made calls to Canada seeking info before this and was told it was judged on an individual case by case and from the sound of it we could both be approved for CDRP and FAST without a pardon because it had been so long since convictions.

We decided to give this a try, the CDRP app is a free one and we had the company send off both of our CDRP apps in orientation to see what would happen before spending money to apply for FAST.

The results were like this, I got a letter saying I am approved for my CDRP (note my misdemeanor marijuana charge, 1985 which was fully disclosed on the CDRP app). My husband was disqualified because he had TWO convictions, the poss. and DUI.

I called the number on his letter to discuss applying for pardon. I spoke with the officer who reviewed his CDRP app and she told me he would simply need to complete the pardon paperwork and submit to them with $180 Canadian or approx $200 US and if all was complete on the app it should take about 2-3 months for approval. She said she saw no need to hire an attorney and pay the fee for that as long as we could complete the paperwork and gather the needed records to send along with the app.

We are still in the process of doing this. Here are the things you will need in addition to app and the obvious like forms of ID, etc.

1. Copies of your court records from the courthouse where the conviction occurred (i.e criminal records check), when they are this old courthouse may have on microfilm or archived out somewhere like his was, took them about a week to find records.

2. Proof of some kind, letter, etc. showing all fines, sentences, etc were completed after conviction. In his case courthouse did NOT have this so visited probation/parole office who handled his probation. They had no paper records either after so long but were able to look him up on their computer and could simply show dates he was released from probation. They gave us a print out of this but would not sign or notarize or make it official in any way so dont know if this will work or not yet.

3. 2 sets of inked-rolled fingerprints from your local sheriffs dept., should be free for use in obtaining criminal background checks

4. state criminal background check, submitted $14? money order along with set of fingerprints and necessary ID info and cover letter to SBI. We have that back, ironically showing no records, lol.

5. FBI criminal background check, submitted $18?? money order with the other set of fingerprints and another cover letter, still waiting on them to process, website says allow 6-8 wks. We have, so I sent them an email and they assure me the info is on the way but we still wait.

Once we get all those in hand I can then submit app and more money and wait some more. But its still cheaper than the attorney. All that records gathering is what you paying the attorney for, although I was told by others the attorney will hand carry your app to various offices to get faster approval so your app wont just lie on a desk up there. We will take our chances however. In the meantime our company doesnt send us to Canada and havent reduced the per mile rate for the truck since we are working on the pardon.

Almost forgot, another thing u will need is a copy of the applicable U.S. laws or statutes pertaining to your conviction, can be found online or obtained at a public library usually but in our case the law has changed since his conviction and I cant even find the exact crime (misd. violation of drug laws) online or the library. I will have to got to a law library to find copies of the old laws or so I was told by a lawyer in my state.

Hope this helps.

ron

Expert Expediter
I got a "Misdemeanor Conviction" in Sept 2005. First major accident I have ever been in 38yrs.of over the road driving. I learned that you don't file complaints against the Ohio State Police for favoring one local driver over and out of state truck driver. He ran a red light into the rear of my truck.The Ohio State Police retaliated by requesting to my State of Michigan,that I not be allowed to have a CDL again.I can't even drive in the US,let alone Canada. "Just because the Police say your a crimminal,doesn't make you one". The Police got the only job I know where you can tell a lie about someone,and get away with it. They can hide their dishonesty behind their badge. Misdemeanors are major convictions to trucking companys,as their insurance will go up.

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with you. I am thing than in USA existing a law from 200 years ago , when the England get in and di the war with a Native. This is radiculase if some oen have a just a little misteke or somthing happend bad - don't mean that this person is bad and he/she is a criminal. In Europa after 10 years in most country this criminal record it is clesr, but in are country stay forevar like you are now from other planet or some special religion. I don't like this law this is aginst the freedom of people and we talk - free country, no is not , even the air in this country is not a free we pay for brithing............Godd luck for all of this , but this is only the money and problems to inosent people, tahy have to go over the real criminal not only in the small inosent people...........