Cargo Van Minimum Age to Expedite with O/O Cargo Van?

SDC

New Recruit
Hi,
I am 21 years old and curious if there is a minimum age of entry to expedite O/O with a cargo van/ sprinter?
I currently hold my own commercial insurance policy for my property management and inspection business, so I am able to hold commercial insurance ay my age of 21. Does each company vary in regards to age?
Just trying to get a feel for if this is something I can pursue at this time.

Thanks in advance.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Carriers probably differ on minimum age somewhere between 21-23. Best to start calling carriers and ask.

SDC

New Recruit
Thanks for the input. I've found some carriers are willing to hire on 21 year olds. However trying to acquire the commercial auto insurance that I will need is the next challenge. I thought since I currently have commercial insurance on my business that I could reasonably attain a commercial auto policy but it seems to be my age is a bigger issue with regards to an auto policy. My record is clean with the exception of one speeding ticked earlier this summer that was reduced to only 5 mph over the posted limit. Having no previous commercial driving experience seems to be an issue along with my age. If I can find a company that will insure me I'm worried about unfeasibly high rates. I am in NH so rates aren't normally horrendous here to start so I am trying to be optimistic. I found that paying for the policy upfront at once apposed to monthly payments can save quite a chunk of change so I may go that route. I'm going to dig into the insurance more tomorrow and call around to get some quotes. I'll post back with the results.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I am confused. if you lease on to a carrier do you not run under the carriers commercial policy?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am confused. if you lease on to a carrier do you not run under the carriers commercial policy?
That's what I was thinking of. A whole cheaper to run under Carrier ins. I would rather pay $20/wk to a carrier instead of $500/mo to commercial ins co.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerzyVan79