mileages

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Are you having a problem with the correct mileages being paid?I'm running a little over 40 miles extra per load,thats between 2 and 3%.Doesnt seem like much at a glance,but put that over 150 loads a year and thats quite a sum of money,not just for the contractor,but for FECC too.If your having a problem with this,be sure to let dispatch know about it,enough complaints and something can be done

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Steve I ran a quick calculation on my spreadsheet and I am not seeing but a couple miles difference on most of our loads. I usually chock that up to getting of for fuel and rest areas. I am going to keep tracking these figures to see if there is a trend. I have always felt as if the miles were very very close.

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Steve I ran a quick calculation on my spreadsheet and I am not seeing but a couple miles difference on most of our loads. I usually chock that up to getting of for fuel and rest areas. I am going to keep tracking these figures to see if there is a trend. I have always felt as if the miles were very very close.
i would have agreed with you til this year,since january,evey load ive done has been at lest 20 miles off if i took their routing.last year,i could run a load and either it wooudbe less miles or at least the miles were right

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Steve, thanks for mentioning this. We'll keep an eye on it. We use a Garmin GPS and we have noticed that it is off in number of miles quite often. The time is usually correct but the mileage is off. Thanks again for pointing this out. We'll keep an eye on it also.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Checking our most recent run, we find the quoted miles and odometer miles to be close enough to not be an issue. Take out the turn we missed and the numbers are nearly the same.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Phil,
check your odometer.make sure its accurate.mine use to read off,made all the loads look like i was saving mileage,for instance,pa showed up as 305 miles accross I 80 we all know its 312

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have found it to be off from time to time. Sometimes longer sometimes shorter. I think it has something to do with how FedEx figures things, must be new math or something. Seems to be evening itself out. We will keep closer track to see what is going on. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
On this last load I tracked the DHPL and FCC said we needed to drive 4 miles further then we drove, the DHPU was exact ( we made no wrong turns!!) then on the actual run we drove 7 miles further then FCC said we should run putting us at driving 3 miles longer then the acual load paid. During the run we stopped for fuel twice and numerous rest areas. I will once again check my figures on the next load and see what happens.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Our last load the clink claimed 450mi, Delorme said 450 mi. We ran 453, couple of stops in there. This one was close. layoutshooter

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
i cant believe im the only one having mileage issues,I dont bother the runs that i run my own way,but everytime i do the routing,i loose at least 20 miles.

Reactions: 1 person

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Mileage is figured from Zip Code to Zip Code. Often the Zip code provided is not the correct one for the address for the PU/Del. In this case the Zip is for the Mail P.O. Box they use that may be as much as 20 miles different.

Reactions: 1 person

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Since it is zipcode to zipcode the mileage should go both ways with over time a 50/50 split on if the miles are long or short. So far tracking our miles I am still finding them close enough to say that us getting on and off the highway are what causes the difference.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
i understand zip to zip,but how when you are routed across the whole state does the state become shorter,the zip codes are at pick up and delivery,not in each state as you go coast to coast

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Most recent run:

Deadhead from a town in Maine, west on U.S. 2 to a town in Vermont to pick up. Drive loaded to a town in Upstate New York to deliver. (A delightful New England summer drive, I might add.)

Miles on offer: 405

Miles on FedEx-recommended route as calculated by Delorme: 395.

Miles on FedEx-recommended route as calculated by CoPilot Truck: 409

Odometer miles: 415

Off route includes a fuel stop, driving in and around facilities at shipper and consignee, and driving past the gate by mistake at the shipper and having to go a ways before we could make a U-turn and go back. Odometer may be off a bit due to tire wear. Have not checked it in a while.

This run took us through Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and into New York mostly on back roads with lots of hills and curves. We are on an 1,844 mile (per offer) run now, mostly freeway. I'll check the numbers for that run after delivery.

Our conclusion so far is the same as before; offered miles are close enough to actual miles to not worry about the difference.

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
im on a run picking up monday 1681 miles,my strets and trips calls it 1685,no argue for 4 miles but look at it this way,1500 miles time 4 time 48 weeks thats lots lost revenue