Mileage vs Percentage

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Jimmy Carter, actually. The Motor Carrier Act of 1980.

In addition to trucking, railroad, air and other industries were deregulated in the last 70 and early 80.

Basically, it allowed carriers to set their own pricing instead of industry standard pricing controls (where the costs of wages and operating costs were passed to the shippers). It also lowered the barriers to entry and resulted in a doubling of licensed motor carriers from 20,000 in 1980 to 40,000 in 1990. Deregulation resulted in a general price reduction for consumer packaged goods, greater price competition, lower profit margins, along with dramatically lower freight rates and driver compensation, with most of the decline in consumer prices coming from the reduced income of truck drivers.

"I guess it's something Trump did." When in doubt, blame Trump? That's funny.

Despite deregulation, trucking is currently one of the nation's most overregulated industries.

Reactions: RoadTime

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jimmy Carter, actually. The Motor Carrier Act of 1980.

In addition to trucking, railroad, air and other industries were deregulated in the last 70 and early 80.

Basically, it allowed carriers to set their own pricing instead of industry standard pricing controls (where the costs of wages and operating costs were passed to the shippers). It also lowered the barriers to entry and resulted in a doubling of licensed motor carriers from 20,000 in 1980 to 40,000 in 1990. Deregulation resulted in a general price reduction for consumer packaged goods, greater price competition, lower profit margins, along with dramatically lower freight rates and driver compensation, with most of the decline in consumer prices coming from the reduced income of truck drivers.

"I guess it's something Trump did." When in doubt, blame Trump? That's funny.

Despite deregulation, trucking is currently one of the nation's most overregulated industries.
I stand corrected.