michigan hang outs

spiderwebbj

Expert Expediter
im just wondering where in michigan do expediters hang out, certain truck stops, towns, around the thumb, anywhere? i'm bored and wondering where i could find some comrades to talk with? also do you folks find that most frieght dont move until night?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you go to front page of eo and go to truck stop guide that will
give all the places where you might find others hanging out
i made it , a few years ago for aboout the same reason wanted to
know where truckstops were with in 25 miles of our express centers
it made for fedexcc but everybody uses it give you alot of place to hang out in
also have to update it abit to

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My question to you is why are you hanging around the thumb area? It must be assumed that you live up there! It would seem that if you are looking for more work, that you should be nearer to traffic lanes. I would think that you would be better off closer to Midland/Saginaw/Bay City or Flint or near the auto plants in Sterling Heights or Warren. I do no not know who you drive for, but if you are driving in Michigan they must be focussing on automotive freight. If you are not staying busy you may consider another carrier. The two that come to mind would be HELP out of the Flint area or First Class Expediting out of Rochester Hills (248-844-1944).
There are also some other small companies in Macomb County.

Good Luck and Drive Safe.

Larry

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The good 'ol Detroiter in Woodhaven seems to still be a big hangout for van drivers. I have been staying at the Pilot at exit 5 off US23 lately with my D unit when near Detroit as I don't care for places that make trucks pay to park, plus its easy to cover either Detroit or Toledo from there. For some reason the Detroiter gives me the "creeps"- I've heard some old war stories and tall tales about the place. I always think of the movie "Robocop" when in Detroit :)
-Weave-
Long live the 6000 SUX

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
i like the ta in monroe,we get alot of loads from the northern burbs so i will pick the bp at 696 and mound or kmart on rt 53 i think its sterling hts.the detroitor give me the creeps to,i would be interested in the tall tales or war stories.

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When hanging out in Warren or Sterling Heights, MI. Becareful around the K-Marts, Wal-marts and Meijers. The managers might call the police on you for parking in their lots, even if your in the store shopping you might come out finding your trucking being towed away. I post about this before sometime ago.

The one K-Mart we had a problem with was on 14 mile road and Schoenher. Stopped and talk to with manager just to let them know we are stopping to shop and will be on our way. We where told to move! So we did.. thats to bad, that K-mart just lost a customer, you see that K-Mart is in my neighborhood.

That BP is always filled but there is another truck stop up the road. There is no sign telling you its a truck stop. There is a store/small resturant but no fuel station. I believe its just past 15 mile road on Mound on the west side of Mound road.. about 4 miles north of the BP. Also at 13 mile and Mound about 2 miles up from the BP is a shopping mall on north west corner. Parking has been allowed in there with some 18 wheelers.. there is also a small resturant in the mall.

I hope this helps.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There are a couple of other truck stops in the Detroit area. I-275 and Ecorse Rd (Exit 20).1 blk west) is a small truck stop with showers, Burger King. There is also an old truck stop at Ecorse Rd & Inkster (1st light west of I-94)(Exit 200) not far from Metro Airport. There is a truck wash, oil change and restaurant there. (Make sure you get directions back on to I-94 west)(via Middlebelt Rd). I think there is also another truck parking area near the JB Hunt Terminal, west off of I-275 south of I-94(Exit 13 or 15). There is a Pilot on I-75 (Exit 18) and the TA on I-75 I believe is exit 16 or 17???. There are 3 truck stops on I-94 (Exit 167) west of Ann Arbor. Pilot (Subway), TA and one other (Wendy's). Just a note on the Pilot/Speedway on the north side of I-94, exit 167; during morning and evening rush hour it can be a bit difficult making the left hand turn to get back to I-94. They need to put a light up for trucks trying to pulling out.

Drive Safe.

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks Larry, we where not aware of a few of those stops. Those are located on the "west side" of Detroit. On the "east side" of detroit, there is very little parking between the Detroiter and the BP. Some of those area's you really don't want to be at.

From what I have heard the Detroiter has really cleaned up the last few years. But like all truck stops, you still have to watch your back!

gump

Expert Expediter
a couple other good stops might be the exit 82 miejers off 75 near great lakes crossing mall and in flint area the walmart at I 69 and belsay rd.