Metal detecting

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Was wandering if anyone carries a metal detector for those weekends of layovers.

Seems like it could be a fun hobby.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I never did it but thought about it at times. We had detectors about 30 years ago. They have advanced a LOT since then. There are some good forums for it I think.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I have been looking at this one. http://www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett/garrett-ace350-holiday.php

Been lurking on a couple of forums. Watched some u tube vids. Got some good reviews. Not bad for a starter.

It comes with a state guide, but all the forums say check first before digging. Some allow detecting but no digging in certain areas.

Just looks like something interesting to do. Get some exercise and pass some time. Get out of the van and parking lots! Lol

Some of those guys do pretty good on the beaches and parks. Enough to pay for the detector and some beer money. I can handle that. ;)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have been looking at this one. Garrett Ace 350 Holiday Special Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

Been lurking on a couple of forums. Watched some u tube vids. Got some good reviews. Not bad for a starter.

It comes with a state guide, but all the forums say check first before digging. Some allow detecting but no digging in certain areas.

Just looks like something interesting to do. Get some exercise and pass some time. Get out of the van and parking lots! Lol

Some of those guys do pretty good on the beaches and parks. Enough to pay for the detector and some beer money. I can handle that. ;)

It does sound like it could be a good way to get some exercise.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I never did it but thought about it at times. We had detectors about 30 years ago. They have advanced a LOT since then. There are some good forums for it I think.

Yep, got a lot lighter and smarter.:)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Geocaching doesn't offer the possibility of financial gain that detecting does but it definitely offers the exercise potential and at least in some instances more mental challenge I suspect.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't go to beaches, unless the surf fishing is good! :cool:
Looks good to me!
th_excited_smilie.gif

fishing20071large.jpg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Looks good to me!
th_excited_smilie.gif

fishing20071large.jpg

That is not surf casting, that is boat fishing. Nice dolphin. VERY good on the grill. I would LOVE to know where they can get dolphin inshore to get them in that small of a boat.

Last edited:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Harbor Freight has one for $45. With a 20% coupon hard to pass up as a beginning detector. Got some good reviews. Also the pin pointer is ok, $16. Might need to replace the switch for $3. Not bad for under $60 compared to $300. Can always upgrade later or if it breaks.

mx377

Rookie Expediter
Go with a fisher F2 good starter.... I carry mine with me when I'm on the road. It is allot of fun.

Don't expect to find enough to pay for itself in a short time. I have been using mine for about 2 years & have only found about $8 in change. Ton of "junk" Just remember to take everything you find with you. Even the "junk"

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I've looked at the Fisher 2,4,5. They seem ok.

Where do you normally hunt when on the road?