Meritor transmission problems

Theironmantools

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
My truck has a hard code , 20. In the Manuel one of the fixes is to take the tcu out and reinstall it. Has anybody ever done this.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Mayne only wet down what gets exposure to rain when driving.....but do it one section at a time to see if your problems come up.

Theironmantools

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
After fixing two bear wires and putting on a voltage doubler it works 80 percent better. But it still has problems. I've noticed that the the meritor guage light fades out. The intensity of the light in the gauge fades out.

Theironmantools

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I found one of the major issues with this transmission. Somebody put the wrong transmission fluid in it. I was focused on fixing the cheap stuff first hoping to find out he problem. It was right in n front of me the transmission fluid. I will not figured it out after I took the tcu out . I sent the tcu out to get looked at. So I won't know until I get it back.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Sometimes it's a very simple problem sometimes it's not ! Hope that does it
Who changed the fluid that you never thought of that?

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
I have a PDF titled "Maintenance and Diagnostics Manual MM-0150 ZF-FreedomLine Transmission". If you want this manual, shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I will send you link to the download from my DropBox, it is about 6Mb so probably will choke most e-mail clients.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I just bought this truck a couple months ago. And I've had problems with this transmission ever since.

That's what makes it so frustrating not knowing the history of the vehicle sorry that happened to you but it's better than buying a new transmission

Theironmantools

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I do have a manual but I do appreciate the offer. After I get my tcu back from the shop and clean out my transmission I'm hoping that will do the trick.but I won't know until then. I've learned even if it does start working I could work for a hundred miles or one hundred thousand miles. I can't wait to be able to put a different transmission in it. Any transmission that could go into system malfunction at anytime and make you set in the middle of a intersection is dangerous to have.

Reactions: TruckingSurv

Theironmantools

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
As suspected after having the tcu tested the problem is not with it. I'm going to put automatic transmission fluid in it let it idle for a hour. Then put the right fluid in it. Change the inline air filter. And see if it works. The clutch actuator works properly .so I can't think of any else to try.

Burldisco

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Zf service for Canada is the "Gear Centre". Oh it's Jan 2017. You can get a replacement from the factory for 8000 Cdn. They work on them all the time. Mine has 2million k on it and still original clutch. They checked it last year and said it only had worn by a quarter. So google the gear centre and no I don't work for them.

Reactions: scottm4211