Medical card?

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I have looked this up and keep getting conflicting info. Does anyone know if you are required to carry both long form and medical card? Will you get in trouble if carrier keeps your long form on file and only gives you medical card? I was always under the impression you had to carry both, but several other things I read say you only need the card. Confused now....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've only known the card as the only thing I've needed...the carrier keeps the long form on file...

What would be the purpose of carrying the card vs carrying the long form?....Besides the officer does NOT need to know all your personal medical info...on the other hand neither does your/my carrier but that is another topic....the card IMO should also suffice with my carrier as well...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My carrier just has a copy of the big form....I carry the card in wallet and long form in Van file box....but as of Jan. 1, 2014 new Fed. reg.s Your med. card info needs to be on drivers license. ....my state sent letter informing of this and within 3 weeks I will be upto new code....

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Carry the card on you a copy of the long form to the carrier.
A carrier is required to keep drug testing and medical records on file for D.O.T. compliance.

Bob Wolf.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In january I was given the card to keep along with the long form that the carrier made a copy of and another one to drop off at the DMV.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Medical Examination Report - the long form
Medical Examiner's Certificate - the "medical card"

Currently, you must carry an original or a copy of the Medical Examiner's Certificate (the medical card) with you in the truck and provide a copy of the certificate to your carrier. The FMCSR does not require an employer (your carrier) to have a copy of the long form, nor does the FMCSR prohibit them from getting it. It's up to you. The carrier can have it if they want it and if you give it to them. The carrier cannot get the report from the physician without a signed release from you authorizing the release of your medical records. They must in any case, however, follow all federal, state and local laws regarding the protection of medical information.

As of January 30, 2014, the Medical Examiner's Certificate will be transmitted to the FMCSA and to your State Driver's License Authority (SDLA) (or you must give a copy of the certificate to the SDLA yourself) and you will not be required to keep a copy of the certificate on you at all times. The exception to that is, you will be given a certificate (medical card) at the time of the examination and it will be valid for 15 days. After the 15 days it will become invalid and the only valid copy is the one on file with the SDLA and the FMSCA. The SDLA nor the FMCSA will receive a copy of the Medical Examination Report (the long form). The long form is to be kept on file at the doctor's office for three years, tho.

After January 30, 2014, the carrier can still request and obtain a copy of the Medical Examiner's Report, though frankly IMNSO they need to provide a reasonable explanation as to why they would need it since the FMCSA nor the SDLA wants or needs it. "We just do," "Because we want it," "It's policy," "Because I said so," and the ever popular, "That's the way we've always done it," are not examples of reasonable explanations.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
in that case neither does requiring van drivers to have a DOT card....maybe except if one does hazmat....MAYBE if only ONE carrier told the insurance companies to fly a kite when first came out....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Carriers requiring van drivers to have a DOT medical certificate is really a different issue. Wanting to ensure drivers, including van drivers, are medically fir to haul their freight isn't an unreasonable request. Wanting to have the medical information that makes up the basis of a valid certificate is.

I personally don't have a problem with the carrier wanting the Medical Examiner's Report, but they've got to treat it like it's the important personal and confidential medical information that it is, rather than just another piece of paper to keep track of. I still remember faxing my long form to Panther and getting electronic and verbal confirmation that they received it. Two days later I had to send it in again because they had no idea what happened to it. Unacceptable. Outrageous. Quite likely criminal.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I have looked this up and keep getting conflicting info. Does anyone know if you are required to carry both long form and medical card? Will you get in trouble if carrier keeps your long form on file and only gives you medical card? I was always under the impression you had to carry both, but several other things I read say you only need the card. Confused now....

You must carry the Card only Drivers have never been required to carry the long form.

Deville

Not a Member
Every state is diffrent. NJ requires the long form to be on file when a person renews their CDL. NYS just required a copy of the medical card at time of renewal. It's a privacy issue. I wish OODIA would take this issue up with the courts.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
IL sent the letter and now I have the Meds on the DL Card...with the Transport ID......its got so many bar codes and QR Codes and such that it looks like a ALIEN ID....

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
A question on this subject
I drive a vehicle over the 10,000#, but under 26,000# which requires a DOT med card.. I am non cdl operator. Is this DL requirement , for none CDL holders. (having medical info on license)?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A question on this subject
I drive a vehicle over the 10,000#, but under 26,000# which requires a DOT med card.. I am non cdl operator. Is this DL requirement , for none CDL holders. (having medical info on license)?
Your state DOT will answer all your concerns and questions....

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Ohio has no clue to this question
They only know what they can input on a form,there is no independent thought anymore. I'm sure pa dot is just as clueless!!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I never had a driver requested to provide a long form on either a roadside or a scale inspection. Only cards. I did have a driver lose his card and we faxed his long form. Of course it sufficed.