MBE 900 EGR cooler leak

Caldonna

Expert Expediter
OK, I did a search on EO forums regarding this topic and the most recent posts were from a year and a half ago. Currently waiting in a hotel in Hagerstown MD with our 07 Acterra in the shop, diagnosis is at least a blown EGR cooler leak, waiting on final word. Scenario is like I read from the archives, multiple times in the shop with check engine/engine protect lights on, losing coolant, no obvious leaks, never ran hot, finally overheated. Was wondering if the lack of posts on this subject meant that, in general, the problem was addressed/solved at the manufacturer level, or did people quit asking about it online?

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
NEVER solved......common problem.....have to nail shop down when ep lights come on and no codes thrown.....seems to always be egr

-charlotte

Caldonna

Expert Expediter
How often is this occurring for y'all? How much is it costing you each time? Our truck is supposed to be ready at 5 pm and is covered under warranty but wondering if I should be thinking about trading. I think I read in the archives where this is something like $2K up.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
It has happened with 2 out of 3 new 07's and also on our 05 columbia. Once you tell the shop " I could care less if there is no code being thrown, the check engine light does not come on without a reason, and antifreeze does not evaporate....check the complete egr system." Then they usually fix it and *shock* no more problems. Only one we ever had to have fixed 2x was the 05 Columbia.

-charlotte

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Have them change the oil in the truck too. I didnt see this post when I was posting about EGR units. The coolant leaks out your tail pipe when the truck is running but can leak back into the clinders when the truck is turned off. That is what happened to one of our trucks.
Freightliner will tell you that doesn't happen. Cummins Came out with the 1st EGR unit and they are the ones that told me. Let me know if you have any problems it just took me nine months to settle with the dealer I dealt with.

Drive safe
Dave Mayfield
FedEx Custom Critical
14 years as an O/O in Expediting.

crazytruckin

Expert Expediter
Just had ERG and cooler changed on my MBE900 M2 for second time this year within 90,000 miles engine only has 260,000 miles). This engine has also had 2 turbos. Had to pay labor a little over $700 but not parts which was $2700. I don't have a lot of confidence this won't happen again before I sell this truck. Also, was in California with other drivers with same engine and two had theirs changed also. This is so wrong for us to have to put up with this. This proiblem is so common it seems Detroit Diesel should make repairs for nothing, but it would probably cost them a millon dollars!!