MBE 4000 Head Gasket Replacement cost?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
It looks like I may have a head gasket leak on a 2006 Mercedes 4000 MBE. Does anyone know what it will cost to have it replaced?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not familiar with that engine but I would say somewhere around 8 to 10 hours, plus parts. I would probably confirm as well it isn't a EGR problem. May be a good time for a rebuild if they are going to go that far into it and being a 06.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How many miles on it? I am wondering if it is time for me to worry about that on my engine. I think I would be really upset if I had a repair like that this soon. 551 thousand and change.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
It started leaking at 779k. Could also be a de aerator line that runs from head to head and would drip down looking like it was a head gasket leak.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We got it home yesterday and are putting it in the local shop tomorrow. Hopefully it is not a head gasket.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I think I found my leak(s).
One is in a metal water line that runs to the EGR, drips down on the motor and runs all over the engine.
The other is at the water filter shut off valve.
Hopefully when I take it into the shop tomorrow they agree.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think I found my leak(s).
One is in a metal water line that runs to the EGR, drips down on the motor and runs all over the engine.
The other is at the water filter shut off valve.
Hopefully when I take it into the shop tomorrow they agree.

That would be a LOT better than a head gasket!!

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Got the leaks fixed. Three of them. The valve at the water filter was replaced. The upper radiator hose had a pin hole and the coolant line that runs just above the heads had a pin hole. Also got the fuel gauge fixed, it needed a new sending unit. And they steam cleaned the engine. Total cost was $357.67.
I was told in California at Burns truck repair next to the Speedco in Ripon that it was a head gasket and would cost between 3 and $6000.
Need repairs in North Florida go to North Florida Truck Parts in Lake City.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Got the leaks fixed. Three of them. The valve at the water filter was replaced. The upper radiator hose had a pin hole and the coolant line that runs just above the heads had a pin hole. Also got the fuel gauge fixed, it needed a new sending unit. And they steam cleaned the engine. Total cost was $357.67.
I was told in California at Burns truck repair next to the Speedco in Ripon that it was a head gasket and would cost between 3 and $6000.
Need repairs in North Florida go to North Florida Truck Parts in Lake City.

That is GREAT news!!

Reactions: Action Jackson

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Gotta love when the repairs are less than thought. ALWAYS be leary of a snap diagnosis, as a former tech, it is rarely what you think it is at first glance. Quite a bit can be learned by a good cleaning and a 2nd look. And in your case a pressure test of the cooling system. There are a multitude of shops out there that will see us (expediters) pull in and see $$$$$ and know it is likely they will not see us again when the problem returns. A tip to try to keep shops honest, tell them you want to see the parts they are replacing or have replaced and ask to see where the part goes on the truck.
I have seen people say to steer clear of dealerships on here and want to say this about that. While I agree that they tend to be more $$ it can actually save you money in the long run by using them. You have more recourse dealing with them and are able to get refunded on labor cost associated with BS "repairs" or misdiagnosed repairs that havent fixed the problem. The paper trail can be your best friend.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Head gasket replaced by Stoops Indy on MBE900 Estimate was $4200. Actual bill was $2000.
For once repairs were less.