Maybe It's Time For FedEx......

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Maybe it's time to consider a different approach to the contractors. It's obvious to everyone here in the forums that FedEx has been bleeding contractors, many of them long-time, excellent people.

We're offered bonuses for a lot of things, recruiting others, getting clearances, seeking and winning four-star status to name a few. None of these seem to be helping the company maintain a fleet with a high percentage of long-time contractors. Everyone knows what happens to companies that find themselves in the position of having too many new people, the brand gets watered down.

What if FedEx offered a certain amount of higher percentage of pay for each year that we stayed? I'm not saying that this would solve all of the problems that others have had that made them decide to leave but if you've been with any company long enough to see that pay percentage climb, it might come into consideration.

Sometimes it seems that companies put too much emphasis on recruiting and not enough on maintaining. Why not try this or something similar? Give your contractors more reasons to stay instead of focusing on replacing them.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Increase pay 0.5% per year of longevity. Decrease qualcom usury 20% annually. Excise major warts like the ridiculous check in/out procedure and non-QC departure notification. That will reduce the desire for greener pastures. Oh, and make a welcome area with access to the cafeteria and a lounge that doesn't require national security to access so contractors don't feel like unwelcome undesirables when near Green.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Increase pay 0.5% per year of longevity. Decrease qualcom usury 20% annually. Excise major warts like the ridiculous check in/out procedure and non-QC departure notification. That will reduce the desire for greener pastures. Oh, and make a welcome area with access to the cafeteria and a lounge that doesn't require national security to access so contractors don't feel like unwelcome undesirables when near Green.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

That is one thing that has always bothered me about the Fed, when you think about all of the things other smaller companies offer their drivers ( truck washes, laundry facilities, lounges ) and then here we are confined to a space about the size of a closet.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Like Not allowing you to park in their lot. Even when you have AM Business to conduct.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Like Not allowing you to park in their lot. Even when you have AM Business to conduct.

My understanding is that that is based on a city ordinance and not a decision by Fedex.

Fedex is an excellent company from a business standpoint. They are only a fair company from a driver relations standpoint. Other companies beat them by a mile when it comes to being a place drivers want to work for reasons other than a solid company with a solid business base. Other companies make drivers feel valued and important, or at least not unimportant. There are many many things Fedex could do that would generate large goodwill benefits but would also cost small amounts of money. I don't know if it's the expense that stops them or if it's that they don't value us enough to bother. Either way, the damage is done.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I asked about it 3 years ago before many of the changes we've seen. I was told at that time it was a city ordinance. I didn't query the city or the police though so I can't say for a certainty.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I don't think most people leave over money issues. It's surprising to me that there is not an exit interview to find out why people that shouldn't be leaving are leaving. Most companies focus on recruiting than retaining the present people. My biggest frustrations are 1) the critical check out calls (especially when they come 3 or 4 hours early). Remove my name from that computer until I oversleep once. 2) The inability to get a directional dispatch when I REALLY need one. A nice bonus to me would be to once a quarter be awarded a "Find a load to ____ " note in the computer. 3) Can't think of a third one. I really like the diminishing QC rental idea. Little things,like $50 for a clean roadside inspection, seem bigger to me than getting an extra $50 dh added to a load.

Last edited:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Little things,like $50 for a clean roadside inspection, seem bigger to me than getting an extra $50 dh added to a load.

I think a higher percentage of pay would add up to more than a bonus for a clean roadside inspection, how many of those do we get per year?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
My biggest frustrations are 1) the critical check out calls (especially when they come 3 or 4 hours early). Remove my name from that computer until I oversleep once.

My biggest peeve right there!

Dale

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Another thing I'd like to see them do is make FedEx Frt terminals more available;particularly in areas with poor truck facilities. Oakland Ca comes to mind.Some terminals have beautiful showers and laundry facilities.

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
Maybe it's because you are contractors and not employee's.

Excellent point. I believe that if you are under a load and can't find parking at a decently safe location, then it should be opened up for us to park. When I did ask at a cross dock about parking there til the other truck arrived. They told me where to park BUT "if the other truck doesn't arrive by 2200, you will have to park somewhere else til we re-open at 0500. This is due to a fire code that prevents you from being trapped behind a locked gate and no way for you to exit the premises." "Also, its got to do with insurance reasons". This is why I was told we couldn't park at most facilities.