Max weight loaded on a "C" truck?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Is there a max weight that CC will load on a "C" truck?

I am talking about a 16 foot box on a three axle truck that could take 22,000 pounds.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
What is the truck registered to carry?

A heavier load may be placed on a D, C, or B vehicle if they are registered to carry more weight. If your truck is legal to carry more weight you can call in and have this changed by your CC. It can help you to get loads at times.

This is the simplistic reply as there is a bit more to just registering your vehicle to carry more. First make sure your vehicle is capable of carrying more weight before proceeding.

We have our truck registered to carry 15,600 lbs with FCC and our Missouri IRP Apportioned Cab Card says we can gross out at 48,000 lbs. We do not want to have freight on the truck to max us out so the 15,600 for FCC.

Another thing that has to be watched is how much you can haul on your axle weights. We could not haul 22,000lbs as we would go over on our Axle weights and gross weight we are legal to haul.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
This is on a tractor conversion a friend is doing. He wants to join CC when he gets it done. The front axle is 12k, the drives are 34k. It is expected with a 16 foot box and some frame lengthening this will weigh in at around 24k. Realistically it should be able to handle 18k of freight with no problem.
I just wasn't sure if CC had a limit that they would put on a "C" truck.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The truck needs to be weighed with personal and cargo related gear, full tanks and two drivers on a scale, that weight subtracted from GVWR will indicate the capacity. When he brings that scale ticket to orientation, they will use the capacity as his available weight in the computer unless he indicates otherwise. The C minimum is 5000# but dispatch will offer greater weight if recorded in the computer. He should consider the weight willing to take under ALL normal conditions, if he's willing to take max weight (18K) over flat interstates, but only wants 10K over the Rockies, he should list the lesser weight.

There is a lot to consider when we decided to up our weight on what we were willing to haul over the mountains.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is on a tractor conversion a friend is doing. He wants to join CC when he gets it done. The front axle is 12k, the drives are 34k. It is expected with a 16 foot box and some frame lengthening this will weigh in at around 24k. Realistically it should be able to handle 18k of freight with no problem.
I just wasn't sure if CC had a limit that they would put on a "C" truck.

I would want to know how a heavy load would effect the front axel. Just because the drives might be able to scale six pallets at 3000 lbs each doesnt necessarily mean the 12000 front axel would.

Last edited:

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
if you are a c, 5000# , if you take anything over that keep in mind you will not be paid the d rate-even if you can carry it or even if it's over 12 ft and you have a 16ft box,

Wolfie62

Seasoned Expediter
Besides weight on axles, your box length is a limiting factor. D trucks are required to have 22' boxes. C trucks are assumed to have 12' boxes. I drive a C unit now, so I have run into this limit, even though my box is a 22' full-size. Dispatch screens show all C units as 12'-box units.