Massachusetts Does Not Play Around!

Peace2All

Expert Expediter
We all have had that chance of driving through horrible weather or have been through the occassional tornado, right? Well, I just got pulled over the other day in Massachusetts and have to say the police there do not like excuses. I proceeded to tell the officer why my plate was in my side box when he interjected that he did not care to hear any of my lies. While in Harvey, LA I sat through a tornado, and believe it or not when I did my pretrip inspection I noticed that my plate was barely hanging there. Instead of having it blow off onto someone's windshield I took it off and placed it in my side box. Now, I never gave it a second thought after that. You know that old saying "out of sight, out of mind". Well, it eventually got forgotten. I was reminded by the nice police officer about it and he gave me a $35 ticket just for explaining. Next time, I will not explain. It was my fault so I hold no grudges, but I will definetly be on my p's and q's the next time.

On most expeditors this license plate problem is because of poor design. On my expeditor there are only two nuts and bolts that hold it onto the truck. The wind whips the license plate every which way and it eventually will break free. This is why it is now bolted on my back door. The nice officer told me this was fine for daytime, but I could possibly get another ticket if I am caught in his state at night. Why? Because it is not illuminated. So, depending on who pulls you over and the day he/she is having those that are driving around with the plate on the back door can possibly get cited. Be careful, be safe.

A learning experience.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>You don't have to tell me about MA . I grew up there but left in my 20's and will only go back to visit . I've seen MA police write a ticket because a hitch ball obstructed the license plate . I've had them check my vehicle inspection sticker on a POV to make sure it matched the plate number . Vehicles in MA have an emissions and mechanical inspection and get a windshield sticker . If you buy a used vehicle and it has a current inspection sticker you still have to get insopected to match the new plate number . If you forget to pay your insurance and it is canceled your registration is revoked . You can go to the insurance company the next day after cancellation and you'll still have to go through the whole registration process . If you sell a vehicle and don't transfer the plate to a new vehicle you better turn the plate in . If you don't they will continue to tax you for the vehicle . If you don't pay the tax they will refuse to title the vehicle the next time it is sold .
The officer was correct in saying the plate has to be illuminated but you'd better remove the old license plate light or keep it working . I was ticketed in MA because the plate was bolted to a door and illuminated but the light on the old bracket was burned out . If there's a light somewhere on the vehicle it better be working . We all have had that chance of driving through horrible
>weather or have been through the occassional tornado, right?
> Well, I just got pulled over the other day in Massachusetts
>and have to say the police there do not like excuses. I
>proceeded to tell the officer why my plate was in my side
>box when he interjected that he did not care to hear any of
>my lies. While in Harvey, LA I sat through a tornado, and
>believe it or not when I did my pretrip inspection I noticed
>that my plate was barely hanging there. Instead of having
>it blow off onto someone's windshield I took it off and
>placed it in my side box. Now, I never gave it a second
>thought after that. You know that old saying "out of sight,
>out of mind". Well, it eventually got forgotten. I was
>reminded by the nice police officer about it and he gave me
>a $35 ticket just for explaining. Next time, I will not
>explain. It was my fault so I hold no grudges, but I will
>definetly be on my p's and q's the next time.
>
>On most expeditors this license plate problem is because of
>poor design. On my expeditor there are only two nuts and
>bolts that hold it onto the truck. The wind whips the
>license plate every which way and it eventually will break
>free. This is why it is now bolted on my back door. The
>nice officer told me this was fine for daytime, but I could
>possibly get another ticket if I am caught in his state at
>night. Why? Because it is not illuminated. So, depending
>on who pulls you over and the day he/she is having those
>that are driving around with the plate on the back door can
>possibly get cited. Be careful, be safe.
>
>A learning experience.
>
>
>

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
Get one of those metal license plate frames at Wal-Mart or ?- about $6-7. They keep the plate from getting bent up on the bottom on those brackets that only hold the plate at the top 2 holes. Police officers like all people are like the Forrest Gump quote a box of chocolates- some are good, some are horrible you never know what you are going to get. And to HE-double hockey sticks about the attitude of those being pulled over garbage officers talk about, I have had officers take an offensive attitude with me when pulled over even before I said word one to them on a few occasions. Most of the time it has been pleasant though, I noticed the youger kiddie-cops seem to be more agressive than the older ones but maybe that's because I'm old myself.:) Denny

Peace2All

Expert Expediter
The license plate bracket is a good fix. You know what I did to pi*$ them off? I went out and bought neon fluorescent paint and painted over my letters and numbers. Hee hee. It worked. That was my work around the issue of illumination.

My license plate now glows in the dark. How is that for illumination? I will never do another load to Mass. I made up my mind that if they are that anal I don't want to take a chance at them scrutinizes my truck to the point of a tow or them putting me out of service.

I recognize that I was at fault, but I had the plate in my truck. I think that I should have gotten the chance to put the plate on and a warning; however, I understand the law is the law. I am a law abiding driver for the most part, but everyone should be given a chance to explain. Notice I said explain not lie. I don't make it a habit to lie to officials that have the upper hand. I am with you with the box of chocolate statement. Sometimes you get a winner and sometimes they are just in a bad mood to begin with.

Lessons learned, bridges burned.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Most states, AL & NC for sure you are not allowed to change the plate with any stickers, markers, etc... And those plastic lens that cameras cannot photograph is a big NO NO.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
How do we know if the plastic cover can be photographed through? I don't have one on my van, but I did on my car, to keep it clean. I'd like to put one on the van, so I don't have to buy new plates every few years, but the camera issue is a pretty new thing. Is there a way to know that the cover is legal?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
A clear plastic cover is probably o.k. . The ones that can't be read by cameras are darker and more costly .