Making The RIGHT Moves! NEW TO EXPEDITING, Ready to begin! Seeking Advice! OHIO

P1985Elliott

Rookie Expediter
Hello all! Thank you for reading this!

My name is Elliott and I would like to join the cargo-van expediting career field! I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to offer some advice on which company to work for? What to expect for pay rate, etc? What is high vs whats low? What insurance companies offer the best commercial insurance or should I wait on this until I sign on with a company? I'm ready to get to work!

DETAILS:
I live in NE Ohio (Youngstown to be exact). I own a super reliable 2006 Ford E-350 turbo diesel extended cargo-van equipped with all tools, GPS, tie-downs and e-track. I can drive for many hours at a time and am perfectly fine actually living out of my van. I'm 28 years old and I have a completely clear driving record, I'm willing to drive ANYWHERE in the country (or will obtain passport to drive into Canada) and be away from home for weeks at a time. I would prefer to drive every day all day, with rarely requiring a day off from driving.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How do you feel about driving all night?

tumblr_mv33piKyiu1r3mvp0o1_500.gif

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
First thing you'll need to do is find a carrier who will take on a 2006 van. Not to be demeaning at all, but some will not put on anything under 5-6 years old. Now, if the van is super condition, looks good, and seems sound....exceptions can be made, methinks.

Second thing to do is take a peak at some threads on here to find out other tendencies in Expedite. Third thing to do IMV......is take some of the comments with a block of salt (a grain often will not do) and learn what matches up with your current enthusiasm, and what needs tempering for reality.

If you can indeed; run all night, stop for quick refreshers, be tolerant of jerks on the road etc.....don't let anyone here discourage you from going for what you know can be obtained. Learn the negatives, go hard on the positive.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Running all night then get 1-2 hours of sleep at the consignee before dispatch calls and wants you to drive somewhere else for another pickup. You can turn it down but what if it's a really good run? Even if you're dog tired some part of your brain is like take it take it. Not to mention the hot and cold of sleeping in a van. And many many more things about being a vanner than will come up.

Still beats working in a factory

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Low pay will be a negative number.
Unfortunately there may be weeks where for numerous reasons your fixed costs, insurance, plates, etc will exceed your net after fuel, tolls.
Weather delays, bad luck, Laredo, rookie mistakes may all play into this number.

The high number is hard to determine also. Who you run for, how smart you get, how lucky you get will all come into play.

I can't be more specific as I don't van.

P1985Elliott

Rookie Expediter
Hello all! Thanks for the great replys and please keep them coming. I drive long distances regularly as I collect antique cars and other antique items and they're vastly spread amongst the country. I can definitely put up with traffic and any road hot heads. My van looks new is meticulously taken care of and is 138k miles. No rust dents or flaws. I'm a neat freak.