Mail Forwarding Services

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A friend was interested in being a resident of another state without having to live there.
I called an old friend that used a place called Dakota Post very happily for 5 years.
Another biz, called My Best Address, looked like a place with a lot to offer.
Low vehicle registration costs, no sales tax, cheap mail forwarding to anywhere are some of the advantages.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A friend was interested in being a resident of another state without having to live there.
I called an old friend that used a place called Dakota Post very happily for 5 years.
Another biz, called My Best Address, looked like a place with a lot to offer.
Low vehicle registration costs, no sales tax, cheap mail forwarding to anywhere are some of the advantages.
Fraud...

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Helpful for full time travelers.
If you live in your vehicle are you going to get your CDL addressed to your PO Box ?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Someone will say you need an address to take per diem.
Show me that regulation.

And this service actually gives you an address if you desire to have one.

Renting a room at a relatives house seems like fraud to me. Similar to the home office deduction. Someone that works from home may have one.
A truckdriver with a desk in the Home Theatre doesn’t have a home “office”.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Someone will say you need an address to take per diem.
Show me that regulation.
From the IRS Guidance on What is a Tax Home?

If the taxpayer does not have a regular or main place of business, the tax home may be the place where taxpayer regularly lives. In these situations the taxpayer may consider their tax home to be their residence and then they travel to different job sites to perform their trade. Use the following three factors to determine where the tax home is located.

• The taxpayer performs part of his or her business in the area of the main home and uses that home for lodging while doing business in the area.​

• The taxpayer has living expenses at the main home that are duplicated because the business requires him to be away from that home.​

• The taxpayer has not abandoned the area where both his or her historical place of lodging and claimed main home are located; the taxpayer has a member or members of the family living at the main home; or the taxpayer often uses that home for lodging.​

If all three factors are satisfied, the tax home is the home where the taxpayer regularly lives. If only two factors are satisfied, the taxpayer may have a tax home depending on all the facts and circumstances. If only one factor is satisfied, the taxpayer is a transient; the tax home is wherever he works and he cannot deduct travel expenses.

So what does it mean if a taxpayer is transient?
A taxpayer who does not have a regular place of business or post of duty and has no place where he or she regularly lives is considered a transient (or an itinerant) and the taxpayer’s tax home is wherever he or she works. A transient worker cannot claim a travel expense deduction because he or she is never considered to be traveling away from home.

Reactions: RoadTime

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Living in one place but calling another your residence to avoid taxes, is fraud. Imo

Reactions: ntimevan

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 2 cents.

When you live out on the road, you truly don’t have a “home” so to speak,

Still, instead of just putting money in mail forwarding services, and what not, actually buy some property somewhere.

Going to the court house and finding really cheap property on back taxes is one great option. Sometimes you can find places with a structure already on it far cheaper than you’d think. Get your mailbox set up, and you’re a local, legal resident. It doesn’t matter if the place is falling apart, just get the mailbox. Perhaps in the future you’ll start investing in it, fixing it up, which isn’t a bad place to invest money.

Frankly, I wish I had thought of this before I had bought my home. I got it cheap enough, and taxes on the property itself are cheap enough, but sales tax on a vehicle is 8.89%, ugh. Still, it’s all legal eagle, no worries.

Instead of wasting money on services that pretend to be a home, I’d suggest you pay maybe a tiny bit more, buy an actual home, and if you sell it at equal value, you get your money back.

Reactions: JerryK

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
To me there are a lot of liabilities in owning a property you seldom see.
Maintenance. I had a house that was empty briefly and people moved in. People I didn’t know.
Repairs, taxes, insurance.
All this vs $200 per year ?
No thanks.

Reactions: Solar

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is a risk to owning property.

Still, I bought a 100x100 lot at a lake area simply to fish there. The lot on back taxes cost $210. Yearly taxes are less than $20/year.

Not talking about buying a $100k House here.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Lucky to have found such a bargain.
Do you have liability insurance for when some kid gets hurt on your property? ( your present homeowners insurance may or may not cover it. Ask your agent.)

Don’t you have to mow or otherwise maintain it ?

BTW, do you reside on the aforementioned vacant lot ?

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lucky to have found such a bargain.
Do you have liability insurance for when some kid gets hurt on your property? ( your present homeowners insurance may or may not cover it. Ask your agent.)

Don’t you have to mow or otherwise maintain it ?

BTW, do you reside on the aforementioned vacant lot ?

Negative to all.
Many people own lots simply to fish the lake, closed community.

I used to watch the simple solar homesteader on YouTube a lot. I always enjoyed the tiny houses, and way they get off the grid. It’s an out there property like that.

I’m not trying to force people to buy property, just saying even large, multi million dollar corporations have headquarters in places like Delaware, owning a building half the size of a Taco Bell, just to take advantage of the tax breaks. No real reason why expediters can’t do the same. Property near Portland is beyond outrageous, but get away to the eastern side, and you may find a cheap lot in a no tax state.

Reactions: xmudman