MAF Sensor

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
I stopped at the auto parts store and had them check to see why my check eng light was on Its a 2003 GMC 3500 Van and they said it was my MAF sensor I took it out and cleaned it put it back in (no broken wires) and the light is still on , Then it just occured to me Do I have to disconect the battery and reset the computer?? I froze in before I thought of it , its only about 12 degrees out side. Do I need to reset the computer or is just the sensor bad?? Just thinking of what I need to do tommorrow.
________
How to roll a joint

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you start the engine enough times, the engine light will go out. It's best to just clear the code. The auto parts store should be able to do that. I have a Scanguage II that will do that. Not sure if removing the battery will do that or not, as I've never done that.

Just cleaning the MAF may or may not solve the problem. Those are pretty complicated pieces of electronic equipment, generally semiconductor technology and a resistor, way more than just a couple of sensor wires. The wires may be fine, but one of the semiconductors might be fried, or the resistor is just plain bad. But sometimes they get dirty, oily, and a good cleaning perks them right up.

On many vehicles, if the condition that caused the engine light to come on no longer exists, then it's something like 20 engine starts and the light clears itself. If the condidtion persists, so will the engine light. YMMV. But the auto parts store should be able to clear reset the code and clear the light. If it comes right back, then you know it's just a bad MAF.

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
If you turn the key on and off 50 times it wiil reset the computer, I did that and now the light stayed out. Im happy now thanks.
________
SuperFun

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
taovuf.gif

I love it when things work out that easy.