M2106 windshield wiper arm

davelees1

Seasoned Expediter
FYI, we were heading north on I 75 in KY last week at midnight and it was raining bad. A semi passed us and threw a sheet water on the windshield and "poof", the driver side wiper assembly was gone :eek:. My wife was driving and pulled over and woke me up. She just passed a T/A so I drove about 5 miles to it hoping to get a wiper arm. Pulled in the fuel isle out of the rain, found the wiper arm hanging by the fluid hose. The end was craked where it went on the shaft:confused:. The parts department was open and they had an arm, $89 with tax:eek:! It was the same as the passenger side and different than the driver side (too short). I took it back and he said all the "real" Freightliner trucks were the same on both sides. I said forget it, put some Rainex in the windshield (great stuff) and drove 150 miles in the dark and in the rain to Columbus with no problem. Got to Fyda at 3 AM. They had the correct arm and it was $30 with no tax:)! T/A buys these parts from Freightliner and they must mark them up 400% (screw you Mr. Trucker!). Anyway, it was an interesting experience I thought I'd share!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thats interesting, but.... don't take this wrong.

What was the big deal on getting it for the $89?

To me and maybe I take safety seriously but I would have not hesitated to pay the $89 to ensure I was limiting any problems, and I am cheap.

Rainx is not a solution, driving in the rain in the dark without a wiper is asking for trouble and if you got into an accident, well let's just say that the insurance company may become your problem.

$89 is far easier to take then thousands in legal fees and the cost of losing a career.

Don't take my comments personal.

Tom911

Seasoned Expediter
I-75 must like those wipers. A couple months ago, my driver's side wiper blade fell off my Sprinter while I was trying to clean it of the snow and ice while I was going down the road.