Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube & Cleaner

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Am I the only person using this? $9.97 at Walmart per quart. I only use about 50% the recommended dosage. I feel my MPG has increased 1.0-1.5 but now wondering, thanks to another EO poster, if its actually due to warmer weather. I may be in the clouds on this and would love other opinions. ImageUploadedByEO Forums1373462008.584364.jpg

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It seems like when put to real world tests additives never give much of a MPG boost especially when cost is figured in. My MPG always jumps a mile or so when summer blend returns.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use it & seen mileage inprovement in march & april before the warmer weather......:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use it & seen mileage inprovement in march & april before the warmer weather......:thumbup:

March and April is when the switch to summer blend happens.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Cost is always a factor. I like this Walmart price of $10. I add about 2 ounces per fill up of about 25 gallons.
Not a strong dose at all.
Add tax, say 7%.
$10.70/16 doses/25 gallons/17.4 MPG.
That's .15 cents per mile. Not 15 CPM. .15 CPM.
So basically, at the dose I add, if I gain ANY fuel efficiency it pays for itself and more. PLUS I get a cleaner engine.
I'm stocked up!!ImageUploadedByEO Forums1373464514.318059.jpg

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
March and April is when the switch to summer blend happens.

I understand your point. ....but not every state or every gas stop has the summer blend in use. ....I m more inclined to say keep your injectors clean and upper cylinders lubed is more benefical than a possible . 3 mpg increase.....

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm of the opinion that gas engines run so clean these days that additives just aren't necessary. The iridium plugs on my van at 200k are proof of that.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I understand your point. ....but not every state or every gas stop has the summer blend in use. ....I m more inclined to say keep your injectors clean and upper cylinders lubed is more benefical than a possible . 3 mpg increase.....

A clean drivetrain is a happy drivetrain?!??ImageUploadedByEO Forums1373466488.169617.jpg

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
About 2 times a year when changing out the trucks water separator/fuel filter I'll fill the filter with the Lucas and install it just before getting on the interstate....this works as a power wash for the injectors and without a doubt I can feel the difference.

running the cleaner through the fuel tanks leads me to think of cleaning the tanks and fuel lines 1st. and then pushing the dirty fuel through the engine...this is only a thought of mine but makes since to me.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Am I the only person using this? $9.97 at Walmart per quart. I only use about 50% the recommended dosage. I feel my MPG has increased 1.0-1.5 but now wondering, thanks to another EO poster, if its actually due to warmer weather. I may be in the clouds on this and would love other opinions. View attachment 7163

I have allways like to use the Lucas in my sprinter and also in my straight truck, I don't use it every tank, but try to put some in every 3rd or 4th tankfull. One day I was at the pilot and saw they had the diesel power clean on sale, said it was meant just for diesel and the jug would treat 250 gallons, so I gave it a shot (in the straight truck). Big mistake, the second time I put it in there, I had a rough idle could tell it was missing at low RPM's. After I went and got some lucas and ran it through there, the roughness was gone and it was back to running as it should.

If you see a store called Rural King they have the gallons of Lucas for 24.99, best deal I have ever seen.

Lucas Complete Fuel Treatment 1 Gallon 10013 by Lucas Oil Products for $24.99 : Rural King

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Been using it for years, having started back when I had a '98 6.6 Duramax. Came highly recommended by the lead fleet mechanic at a diesel place outside Cleveland. Said it is pretty much interchangeable with Stanadyne and recommended using it to compensate for low sulfur fuels. More important in older engines that were built before the low sulfur fuels started. I don't use it to increase mileage, but more for its engine lubrication properties.

There are other threads here about it and other additives you might want to search for.

A lot less expensive, Murray, to buy it by the gallon and then decant it into a pint container as needed. I keep a pint in the driver's door pocket and add two-three ounces each fill-up. There's a truck stop not too far east of Memphis that has always sold it about three bucks cheaper than most. It's the exit that has the guy who runs a CB shop out of a caboose that used to be a BBQ joint.

I have no experience using it in gas engines.

I like the idea of filling the fuel filter/water separator with Lucas when changing filters and am going to start doing that. Makes perfect sense to me.

I knew another good diesel mechanic, who worked primarily on Mercedes, who swore by RedLine products out of Pacheco CA: http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=11 (they make a nice anti-gel product, too). He used to fill filters that way and also added a whole pint to the tank every time a customer brought in their Mercedes diesels.

Last edited:

bill98

Seasoned Expediter
Use fuel gauges and the app for smart phone lets truck from Kevin Rutherford all free then you won't have to guess mileage my 07 sprinter is 20.36 90 day mpg and 0.19 cost per mile

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'll look up that app. I've been using Mileage Keeper but it doesn't break it down to the mile. Just per-tank and average MPG. Thanks!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
check out www.bobistheoilguy.com hit search , type in lucas interesting
Exactly. It's not very well regarded by anyone other than those who use the Lucas marketing materials as their source of information. Turns out Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube and Cleaner doesn't clean much at all, and lubes even less than it cleans.

Just like one-size-fits-all engine coolants, any fuel additive that works for both diesel and gas won't be very good at either one, and certainly not the best.

Here's a detailed analysis of several popular (and unpopular) lubricity products. It doesn't test or analyze cleaning or other properties, only lubricity. You may be surprised at the results.

Diesel fuel additive version 3-1.pdf

Mercedes specifically recommends against Lucas products in Sprinters, BTW.

For purge cleaning, LubroMoly Diesel Purge (NAPA carries it) is good to dump into a new fuel filter, as is Sea Foam (Lucas most definitely is not).

For normal, every-tank cleaning, Red Line RL-2 (best), Liqui Moly Diesel Anti-Knock Plus, or Standyne Diesel Formula or Standyne Performance Formula work extremely well.

For Sprinters, which really and truly need a cetane of 50, probably the best combination is Amalgamated TDR-S for cleaning and cetane boost, and Red Line RL-2 for additional cleaning and lubricity. It's kind of an expensive combination, though.

A very good close second, because it's more readily available and generally cheaper, is a combination of Power Service Diesel Treat with Cetane Boost (the white jug... gives a 6 cetane boost, while the gray jug only gives 4 but is an anti-gel for use in the winter) and Howe's Meaner Power Kleaner (unquestionably the best carbon deposit cleaner and preventer on the market at anywhere near that price point). The combination of the two (about 4 ounces of each for every tank) gives you the correct lubricity, cleaning and cetane boost that Sprinters need. The higher cetane gives you quicker and more complete burns with less carbon residue, and thus better fuel mileage.

If you can find premium diesel that's 50 cetane already (Canada, California CARB diesel, and most "premium" diesels like BP and Chevron branded fuels, or diesels that say "premium" on the pump) and that already has the additives that the above combinations will give you, then you really don't need to add Power Service or Howe's or anything else, although the addition of a little Howe's (couple of ounces to 20 gallons) is not a bad idea.

Bob's the Oil Guy, Sprinter-Source, and especially the TDI Forums cover all this in excruciating detail.

SHARP327 said:
running the cleaner through the fuel tanks leads me to think of cleaning the tanks and fuel lines 1st. and then pushing the dirty fuel through the engine...this is only a thought of mine but makes since to me.
It's not the engine where it gets pushed into, it's the fuel filter, which will then get clogged. The key is to use a cleaner in every tank, or nearly every tank (not just once every 3 or 4 tanks or once or twice a month when you think about it) in order to keep the tank clean and prevent moisture from accumulating.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
If you're talking about the search box in the top right I got "not found" when I search Lucas. I'm looking around for a different place.