low moral

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
i had a sudden death in my family last night...
i found out about this morning... there's nothing i can really do right this sec.. trying to get to buffalo .. ny where i live.
so i called in for a homtyme request..
well the woman who answered the phone in the driver relations dept.
was very cold.. and UN compassionate...
saying she has to see if i been working for 14 days and in service.. before i can ask for a hometyme requst..
I told her there was a death in the family.... she said she still had to chk to see ... IF i can go home... excuse me???
she never said im sorry .. for your loss or diddly.. or what ever..
ya know in the yrs i been with panther... i use to havre a hell of a lot of team spirit.. but it has gone down hill.... as i see panther has toward the moral of there drivers
not to mention i have grown to not have much respect for the dispatchers anymore.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Are you sure you didn't ask for a empty move rather than home time? They stop doing those for personal reasons because too many were abusing it.
Day shift usually does the hometime requests, but regardless, I would have just headed for where you needed to be.
Usually they will look for a load for you if one is there. Did they do that?
As for any kind of change, we have been too busy to notice any?
I can't really say we have ever had that same experience.
Hopefully you get there in a timely fashion. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
My condolences, You will probably have better luck calling dispatch and explaining your needs.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Are you sure you didn't ask for a empty move rather than home time? They stop doing those for personal reasons because too many were abusing it.
Day shift usually does the hometime requests, but regardless, I would have just headed for where you needed to be.
Usually they will look for a load for you if one is there. Did they do that?
As for any kind of change, we have been too busy to notice any?
I can't really say we have ever had that same experience.
Hopefully you get there in a timely fashion. Sorry for your loss.

umm ....... yes i did ask for homtyme.... i did not get it confused with a EM..
i am heading to buffalo today.... gonna check with back haul..... in a couple hrs ..
and ty .. eveyone for your warm messages.

i been telling dispatch of my needs and why.... due to a sudden death in the family..
last night they gave me a couple load offers al going in the wrong directions....
oh im in ft wanye..... they tried to tell me on the load offer going to cinncy it would be closer to where im going for homtyme.
ya know ...... i really belive dispatchers are geographicicaly challenged...... hmmm did i spell that right? oOYYy.......

sweetcdngirl

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
US Army
I'm sorry for your loss. I have a father who has brain cancer right now. And god forbid when he goes, I will just go home. I wont wait for Panther to tell me if I could take home time or not. Just put yourself out of service and go. And your right, there is people that answer the phones up there, that really need lessons on phone manners.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
I understand your frustration and your loss.

It unfortunately is not just limited to Panther.

While I was with Swift, my brother died - he had been fighting cancer for several years. Swift was told that I might need to go to deep south texas several times. We were in Montana when the word finally got to me that he had died. The basic response was oh really we have no loads going down there - are you ready for a load?

My mother has schleradema (sorry don't really know the correct spelling) and all of it's side illness. When she was diagnosed she was given up to 3 years more - that was about 2 years ago. She got put into the hospital this weekend with an apparent heart attack.

I know some of the anguish and pain you are feeling. It will be hard to drive those last few miles - keep your focus where it needs to be.

Again our condolences to you and your family.