Looking to start an expediting career

Wheels9113

Active Expediter
Hello! I am seriously thinking about making a career change to expediting and wondering if you could provide me with some insight into how a person can get started in this type of business? I am currently looking at different types of cargo trucks, which is better a Sprinter or Cargo Van? Any information you can provide me would be great. Thanks for your time.

Pete

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Personally I wouldnt buy anything until you drive for an owner and see if it is for you. To make money you have to stay put and run hard. Going home every week isn't profitable. With fuel prices too you would be better off driving for someone else unless you have a "paid for" cargo van.

Not trying to sound negative just giving you something to think about.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Welcome to the forums.

Spend some time reading the FAQ's and past posts. I would also suggest not buying a truck of any type to start. I would agree that you should start by running for an owner. Once you are on the road you may find you don't enjoy this lifestyle or the business does not suit your needs. I would say you should drive for an owner for a minimum of a year, two would be better.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hello! I am seriously thinking about making a career change to expediting and wondering if you could provide me with some insight into how a person can get started in this type of business? I am currently looking at different types of cargo trucks, which is better a Sprinter or Cargo Van? Any information you can provide me would be great. Thanks for your time.

Before any advice is given, it matters what you have done in the past and how much experience you have in the industry.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
In my signature line, I've included information that I would find useful if this was my question. Hope it helps.

One point on driving for an owner to try out the industry. I agree with that except when it comes to starting out in a van. I say, sell your personal vehicle, buy a used van and go for it. If you can learn to make enough money to upgrade to a new or better van then it means you'll survive. If you decide you don't like the business or can't make ends meet then you'll still have a vehicle that you can use to deliver pizzas and flowers until you find the next thing you want to try. Vans don't make enough money to split between carriers, vehicle owners, and drivers.

eb