Looking to get started

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Here is a cube in the EO classifieds. It has sold already, but the specs are right. These are out there. You have to be very picky about the specs to get the right one. I would suggest studying this one and take some notes on the specs. Most of the chasis will have the 6.0 engine. If you get the 6 speed transmission (2010 or newer) and 3.73 gears with that setup, you'll get decent mpg and have a cheap starter van. I think you can find one cheaper than this one. I also think that most of them will have access between the cab and box. A 12 foot box with 6' door height will get you some freight that the regular vans can't fit.

Expediters Online.com - The Expedited Freight Information Center

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Okay, your set-up looks awesome. I kinda knew that it was 10,000 lb, but was sort of wishful thinking about the 16 feet!!! I already bought a mechanism kit like they use in a Murphy bed system, and you just build your sleeper to your specs, and these pieces allow to fold up nicely, and have a leg bar to support when it is down. Zorry had also told me to run for someone else to start, and I think that with getting the experience, traveling around looking at trucks for sale, and getting to know other drivers, and them getting to know me, all will benefit me in the long run. I have looked at a lot of pics on here of some of the van setups, and there are a lot of great ones, but what did you cover your van up with to make it look so tight and efficient. I liked some of the guys ideas about the great stuff in all the tight areas, with the foam board covering the rest, and then the recteflix stuff on the floor under the wood, and then I was thinking indoor/outdoor carpeting to cover it all tightly.

Again, you guys are very helpful, and thanks Xiggi for the input. You won't hear much from me now until I get to the Expo and then make my jump into your world. Stay safe, bigdogg, but I will still be lurking on here!!!!!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
but what did you cover your van up with to make it look so tight and efficient.
I used "corrugated plastic". It's basicly the same as cardboard except it is made of plastic instead of paper. You can find it at almost any sign shop. It's the same stuff they make real estate signs, etc out of. I really thought that this was going to be too thin, but it worked out great. I'm sure there are other sources. This stuff is very lightweight and tough.

bobonic

Rookie Expediter
Hey biggdogg,keep these posts going,am interested in what u do.I'm 52,live in ocala and am thinking seriously about buying a sprinter and running expedited. Ran semis 19 years,but only doing it part time now (7 on/7off). Not gonna ask for advice here,too many negative posts.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Hey biggdogg,keep these posts going,am interested in what u do.I'm 52,live in ocala and am thinking seriously about buying a sprinter and running expedited. Ran semis 19 years,but only doing it part time now (7 on/7off). Not gonna ask for advice here,too many negative posts.

Interesting! Registered today and has 1 post and already drew the conclusion that everyone here is negative.

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
Interesting! Registered today and has 1 post and already drew the conclusion that everyone here is negative.

And that statement is negative...welcome the club. :rolleyes:

sent using my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

As Xiggi noted, one can form an educated opinion long before becoming a member, and it would be smart of us to pay attention to those opinions. Misquoting them to offer a snide response is precisely the sort of thing that discourages people from asking for advice, ya know?
It's one thing to be snarky to those who just don't get it, or think they already know better, but there's no reason to insult those who don't flatter you. And a lot of reasons not to.
Bobonic: as this thread shows: if you're okay, so are we.
Welcome.
:D

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry folks, been getting last minute workups before the operation on the 29th. I guess you could look at some responses as being negative, but you can also turn anything around to be negative if you choose to do so. With what I have been through the past three years, I am tired of looking at things in a negative way. I like being positive, even if that means it is positively awful to get started in this business in the winter months, that's just the way the business is. I enjoy all the comments and advice, even if something may come across as negative, it usually is still a valid point, or comes from someone's own experience, so that should not be wrong. I would rather hear everything everyone has to say, then get out there and here it when it's too late. Like some of you have said, everyone's situation is different, but I like the sounds of being out on the road, seeing things I could not afford to see before, and just being to myself sometimes. I just read a post on how you like to run, and again everyone is different. From what I have seen on here, I hope to run my butt off when the season comes, go home when I get near there for maybe a day or two, but make the money when it is available. Maybe during the winter months, I can stay home and work on my wood tables and help out my wife typing (not my first choice), and then hit hard when it is time. I am open to anything, I have my wife's support, and I have all the determination to make this succeed, so I can't wait for the Expo, and I hope to meet as many of you guys as possible. Got to get back to lurking now, stay safe everybody!!!!

This is something I have been working on for awhile now, as far as how I try to look at things. It's not what someone does or someone says that causes the argument or problem, it's the response back to what is said or done. I try now to picture myself like the ocean, it might get pretty choppy on the surface some days, it might even be a huge storm, but it is always calm underneath!!!

See Ya's in July, Taz

bobonic

Rookie Expediter
Well I guess I should apologize cuz this thread was ok.I spent all day yesterday a lot of the threads, and a lot of them are like the CB nowadays,people are asking for help and are getting negative feedback.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good morning Bobonic. I have been up all night, but getting ready to try to lay down now. I am not about to tell you how to think or give any advice about this line of work, especially with all the experience you have. I will say I have been on here reading for the last four or so months and have seen some people come on here with questions, and then get very smart or sarcastic with their replies if they don't see what they want to see, so you have to understand where these guys are coming from. They hear all these same questions all the time and still take the time to answer back. My post isonly one of thousands that they take time out and try to help. Take a deep breath and listen to what these people have to say.
I will be down in Florida at the end of June, but in the Port Charlotte area for a few months, and then up in Homasassa or Crystal River area after that. Maybe we can get together after my trip to the Expo?
Have a great day guys, Taz

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well I guess I should apologize cuz this thread was ok.I spent all day yesterday a lot of the threads, and a lot of them are like the CB nowadays,people are asking for help and are getting negative feedback.

Like the CB, this is a public forum, anyone can join in, and some loudmouths do.
Unlike the CB, they don't get to drown out the quieter and/or smarter voices.
Negative feedback serves a purpose too: as one curmudgeon says "You gotta learn to pick the pepper from the flyspecks"
Stick around - the pepper is worth it, IMO.
;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well..Lets all lie through our teeth and give him just the positive stuff and the stuff he only wants to hear.....oh wait we are recruiters then....:rolleyes:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hear the Flowers are Blooming at Load 1 in Taylor, Mi.....put in your app. and wait for the call at home. ........:p

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Well Bacon we had the seller send the VIN and we ran a Carfax on it. Then had him scan a copy of the title. Then we drove a loaded semi from denver to st louis, checked it out, and followed the semi back to Denver. We still have the van after three years.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2