Looking to get started

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
After running out on the road for about a month with a buddy in a cargo van, I really feel this job would work out great for me. I have been on here for the past 3 months reading what people have been saying about all the different aspects to this job. I have gone to other forums as well, but like the amount of information on here.
Here is a little insight as to me: I have been working in personal protection after leaving the Sheriff's Agency down in Florida. I was in a Limo accident awhile back and have to get my hip replaced. I will be living near Ocala, Florida once that is done, which should be around July. I am married and my wife has her own transcription business. She is used to me traveling around the world and never being home, so there is no problem on that end. I'm 54 and not ready to get into some kind of work where you have to deal with kids trying to make a name for themselves and not knowing how to talk and deal with people in a nice and professional manner. I have a beautiful motorcycle that I will be selling and turning in one of our cars as a down payment on a van. My driving record is clean and no problems passing any drug tests.

My problem is that I do not want to jump into a large car note when just getting started. I would really like to get that new Dodge, but was thinking I could run a cargo until I get the money needed to have a smaller monthly payment. From what I have read, it seems like the better companies to run for are not looking at taking on vans, just sprinters or straight trucks, but I feel in my position I need to get a 2009 or 2010 van for right now, and put away everyhting for a year or two, and then by the Dodge Pro Max. I learned quite a bit with my buddy, including how different the dispatchers are, how not to talk to your dispatchers, and what kind of difference it makes running with a good company. I want to do this for the next 12-15 years, and after a few years my wife might even joined me out here. I have researched everything involved in equipping my van, and have no probems sleeping on an air mattress with a sleeping bag. I am good with people, have a good sense of humor, and I am old school when it comes to doing the best job you can at all times, and never making the same mistake twice. I could say a lot more, but I look forward to any and all responses from all of you, and then we can chat some more, because I am not having my operation until April 29th, but I do want to get into this career after my rehab is done.

Sorry for being so long winded, Bigdogg

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Most will suggest you drive for an owner or company for six months or a year while you do more research.
Retail the car and scooter. Bank the money.
This is a time of change. Ride around,observe,and learn.
Good Luck to you.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Zorry
I looked at some of the classifieds for drivers and seen some for sprinters that I thought would be good. The only thing that worried me about that was some of the other things I have read about why drive for someone else when you can be making the money. I like the idea of getting into it with someone else mainly to see if there is money to be made if your willing to stay out for a long time, but what I have seen is people saying you should get your own van and make the money. The other variables would be the owners reputation and who he might have his vehicle leased on with. Just some of my concerns, but I know you can't just hit the ground running!!!

Thanks again, Bigdogg

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'd look at it as paid training.
Being in someone else's van while you network will be good. While you learn and position yourself for a purchase.
Make sure you can take the stress of no frt/too much frt/no frt.
You can also research companies and vans.
You won't make much but you get to see income and outgo without risking your money.
If it looks good,start shopping. If not, walk away thinking I'm glad I'm not stuck with a van.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Welcome, BigDogg. Having the extra lead time can be an advantage for you. Many carriers may not be hiring now anyway. Let the recruiters know you are interested, so you can burn through any waiting lists while you are settling your personal business. I've included related topics in the link to my signature line. I've written about a few more topics in the 4-Wheeling blog that is on the expeditersonline homepage. The article titles that start with "Tin Can--" are related to starting out in cargo vans. This link goes directly to cargo van blogs. ExpeditersOnline.com

eb

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks again Zorry, makes sense all the way around. I will also go to the sites you mentioned Ebsprintin. Like you both have said, I have noting but time right now to investigate as much as possible. I talk to my buddy who has been in the business for more than 10 years, but it's good to get other perspectives. I am also going to go to the Expediter's Convention in Ohio come July.

Appreciate it guys, thanks

MissKat

Expert Expediter
We bought a ford E250 2003 on eBay for $3200. Put cherry flooring and e Trac from a wrecked trailer, insulation from camping world. Several for sale on EO

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Syracuse from a wrecked trailer ?

I guess you did enjoy the trip down south. And still are enjoying it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Since MissKat edited her post everyone's saying WHAT's ZORRY SMOKIN ?

Not everyone, Zorry - some were saying it before that....;)

Just kidding!
I like the 'paid training' aspect, kind of like an internship. Only I'd add that one expecting to do it that way needs to ensure that the fleet owner is willing to mentor, because some are more hands-off than others. Just different styles, but the difference could make or break the whole relationship, I think.

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
That new dodge is looking sweet. More payload then those sprinters. That's gonna be dodges payback for Mercedes giving the sprinter contract to freightliner.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
I agree, I cant wait for promaster, front wheel drive is what i am looking foward too, dont know why others are knocking that feature???

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Probably because a fully loaded 18 wheeler would kick the promasters butt in the 1/4 mile lol I have not read any estimated mpg's for the gas or diesel option. Wonder if it wil match the sprinter.

Sorry no real advice for you bigdogg just research as much as possible then research some more. Always makes the jump a little easier.

Good luck

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You guys have not lost or scared me away yet. I am what you call "lurking" right now, but I did just buy my plane ticket from Florida to Toledo for the Expo today. I get what everyone is saying on here about driving straight trucks and partnering up to make the better money. I also get that the vans are a dime a dozen out there. My plans are to get to Florida by the end of June and sell my bike and car first. Then go to the Expo and meet and ask as many questions that I can. Before I go, I plan on getting my CDL C/hazmat. I'm not looking to make the big money, just pay bills, put some away for possible retirement, and see the country. I really don't want to drive teams, just me being honest. I went into business with someone who I thought was a friend, but found out he knew more about the legal side of a document, while I knew more about the running of the business. Once we were up and running and he had seen everything I had done, he showed me what the legal part can do, and I was out on my butt. I really want to be in a Sprinter type of truck, whether a Promaster or the NV, but I would prefer to be by myself, and not to have to count on someone else, or have to deal with different feelings, or personalities on an ongoing basis. The straight truck would be nice if I could run solo, but with the logs, and the carriers wanting teams, which makes sense, I feel the Sprinter is the way to go for me. My buddy drives a van solo and makes good money doing so. I also feel I should be able to run my butt off during the busy season and then possibly do something local around home if things start getting tough during the winter. Whatever my carrier feels would work out the best for both of us, it would be fine for me. I told my wife she would probably not see me over the summer unless I got a run to Miami or Tampa, otherwise I am just going to run as much as I can while it is available.

Again, this is me just being thick-headed, but I have seen in the classifieds owners looking for drivers. The one that caught my eye was the guy with the NV's or the one in Florida with a Sprinter. This is where the thick-headed comes in. On the 60/40 split, does that mean I would still get the 60, or does that go to the carrier and the owner, and then what would I end up getting for the run? Told Ya, not quite grasping that!!! I can go the way Zorry said, or buy the used extended van for now and run for a year or two before buying the sprinter type. This way of running is going to work better for me than with a partner, just looking to run and see the country for the next 12-15 years, and hopefully my wife will come out in another 5-6 years and enjoy the scenery with me.

Hope to meet up with you guys in Wilmington in July, Thanks again, bigdogg

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Bigdogg, a lot depends on how much cash you can gather up. Instead of looking for an extended cargo van, I would suggest one of the 12' cubes that some guys are finding. They give you room for 3 skids and taller freight. I think you could find a used one in the $8-12k range that would get you started. If you can come up with that much cash, I would suggest going that route. Just remember that you'll need some operating and reserve cash also.

For your 60% question...that is a standard pay plan in expedite. It can work either way where either the driver or the owner gets the 60%. The difference comes from who buys the fuel. Whoever gets the 60% buys the fuel...the person buying the fuel (the 60%'er) should also get any and all fuel surcharge associated with the load.

There is nothing wrong with driving for an owner as long as you do your research and make sure the owner is honest and pays his bills. If you are sure that this what you want to do...and can afford it....I would start with my own rig. It sounds as though your friend has enough experience to guide you through the rough spots.

Whatever you do in this business whether you drive for somebody else or drive your own, keeping yourself financially stable is very important. You never know when or what is going to hurt you financially and you have to remain prepared for rough times.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Rocketman. I have not thought about a cube van because I felt that the gas mileage would not be that good. I spent the evening looking at used trucks, but most did not have a walkthrough, so I feel it would be almost impossible to build somewhat of a sleeper. I did see some 16 footers and was wondering about using 3 1/2 feet for a sleeper, and still have the rest for at least 3 skids. Is it over 10,000 lbs or does it go by feet of the truck to have to carry logs. Also talking to my buddy today, he told me that if I drove for someone else for awhile, I would be able to look around the country for my truck, not just in the area that I am living, plus I would get exposure to the industry and meet other people, which would in turn help me out when I buy my own rig. I do have a lot to think about, but it is all good and positive, so that is a great start. The cube vans are pretty nice, just got to figure out not being able to get in from the cab. Maybe I can cut out a section and rig it up that way. Expediting is definately the way I am heading and I know I will keep learning a lot on here until the Expo. My surgery is scheduled for 29th of April, I will be in Florida at the end of June, and the Expo is at the end of July, the pieces are falling in place. Just have to keep on researching. Thanks again for all the input, and if you think of something else, please feel free to share. I will still be here lurking, lmao!!!!!

Stay safe and have a great night

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The GVWR determines whether or not you run logs....10,000 or less = no logs....10,001 or more = logs.

You need a specific type of cube, there are some out there. I would want to have access between the cab and box, although I never use mine for entering/exiting the sleeper area. It's cramped at best to move back and forth that way...at least for me. I've learned to just walk around to the side or rear doors.

If you get a cube without a side door, they can be installed easy enough. I've had my bed setup a couple a ways, but I like the current setup the best. I have my sideways immediately behind the seats. If I need the space, I can fold the bed against the back of the seats. When empty, I have the entire van as personal space instead of being limited to a dedicated sleeper area.

Your friend makes a good point that if you drive for someone else a while, you'll not only have an opportunity to shop around for a vehicle....you'll have an opportunity to visit with other people and see different setups.

Here is a pic of mine:
e4emasab.jpg

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also you want to consider the empty weight under the gvw. Doesn't do much good to buy something that can only haul 1500lbs after fuel and personal items.