Looking to get started

Vanman44

Active Expediter
My name is Ronald I am looking to get started an I do not know where to begin. My experience is in the tractor trailer part of trucking. I have seen the expediated trucks coming an going at my present job an became interested. So any advise would greatly help.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Judging from your screen name it looks like you are considering a van. I would suggest reading up on some old threads so you have an idea of the good and bad then figure out if $26k a year is worth the long nights, time away from home, and financial risk. In your reading you will see discussions about vehicle choice and companies that should help you a lot.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Vanman44

Active Expediter
Thanks for replaying so the average income is 26k a year I thought it would have been more I make almost 40k a year where I am but it is contract work an every three years it comes up for grabs. Could go good or bad. So what do you suggest what is average getting paid by mile or load how does it work.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I would say $26k is an average to go by after expenses are paid and you get a little experience. Some weeks are $1200 some are $3 so you will want to be good with your money and have a good amount of money saved before you get started.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Here everything is up for grabs everyday.

You basically get paid by the load. And it helps to track that pay against the miles you drive. And it helps to compare the price you are paid per mile against how much it costs you to operate by the mile. It gets deeper and deeper and these things have been discussed in depth. Attending a workshop that ExpeditersOnline organizes really helps.

I would suggest reading as much as you can here first. Most of the questions you can dream up have been discussed in depth. In so much depth many people wouldn't want to repeat the discussions again (the reason for my signature line). Read, read, read... and then base your questions off of what you learned or couldn't find.

eb

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Just remember, it is "expedite", i.e."emergency freight". It isn't dedicated freight. Yohann Yoder at ACME Products has to screw up an order, Wiley Coyote is going to need more bird seed, or something has to break down in order to have cargo. It is anything but consistent. Bank on nothing. You need capital to start plus great budgeting and time management skills to make it work.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
With the right company you will make well over 26k. Closer to 35k + if you drive for someone. Don't go for the larger companies like panther fedex or express one especially in a van if you plan on making the most money.

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
I love when people say what your going to make in this business. If I only made $26,000 a year i wouldn't be here. You have to figure out the business and learn from the people that know the business.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
You can talk to 100 expediters and they will all have different gross pay figures. What type vehicle are they driving? Who do they run for? Do they run for more than one? Are they in customarily good freight areas or do they d/h a lot (eating a chunk of their gross)? There is no way of making consistent freight/pay happen in expedite. You will get a lot of figures thrown at you and it may confuse more than help. That, unfortunately, is the nature of the business. It's a competition-type market. If only there was a base pay to go on, but there isn't.

When posters say "learn the business", they aren't blowing you off. The only way to know is to gain firsthand experience and know going in it's a total gamble.

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
You can talk to 100 expediters and they will all have different gross pay figures. What type vehicle are they driving? Who do they run for? Do they run for more than one? Are they in customarily good freight areas or do they d/h a lot (eating a chunk of their gross)? There is no way of making consistent freight/pay happen in expedite. You will get a lot of figures thrown at you and it may confuse more than help. That, unfortunately, is the nature of the business. It's a competition-type market. If only there was a base pay to go on, but there isn't.

When posters say "learn the business", they aren't blowing you off. The only way to know is to gain firsthand experience and know going in it's a total gamble.

Lisa I couldn't have said it better myself

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Another factor is how often are you planning to go home and for how long? I have talked to a few vanners and some do good and some are terrible but the difference is the ones doing good spend more of the year in the van not on the front porch with an ice cold brew.

This job as with many otr jobs is, It is what you make of it. You decide by what you do how successful you are.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Another factor is how often are you planning to go home and for how long? I have talked to a few vanners and some do good and some are terrible but the difference is the ones doing good spend more of the year in the van not on the front porch with an ice cold brew.

This job as with many otr jobs is, It is what you make of it. You decide by what you do how successful you are.

Yes, very true. Many high grossing vanners are out 4-6 weeks at a stretch then home for 2-3 days, back out for weeks at a time again. Be prepared to miss holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, non-immediate family functions such as weddings, graduation parties, even funerals. 2011 we celebrated his birthday in Kent, OH. I took him to Long John Silver's and we split a piece of red velvet cake from WalMart bakery in the cab of the van in a truckstop parking lot. It was very good for an Expediter Birthday.

jzalesky

Seasoned Expediter
Something that I dont understand about on this forum is all the people saying how you cant make it in the trucking business or your not going to make much. If that is the case then while the hell is everyone on here truckers lol.

I am currently starting my own local cartage company with guaranteed freight through another businesses. I am guaranteed a 1400 a week but will average 2500 to 3000 a week. This is running local frieght and possibly a few hotshots here and there. I could probably get around 2200 a week running a van with them. They even asked if I would add one on since they need it. They even want me to put on a F350 pulling a flat bed and pay pretty darn good. For example the run between DFW to Utah is about 4k.

I think it all depends on who you are running freight for and where you are doing it. Since I see so many numbers thrown around with how much you can make. I would look at your local airfreight companies to see if they need any owner/operators. All of them need trucks to run freight to their customers and to move it from the airport etc. 26k sounds really low for a Van in my opinion...but that would just depend on if you have constant freight to move or not. I would find the freight and get a truck or van based on their needs.

-My 2 Cents

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yes, very true. Many high grossing vanners are out 4-6 weeks at a stretch then home for 2-3 days, back out for weeks at a time again. Be prepared to miss holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, non-immediate family functions such as weddings, graduation parties, even funerals. 2011 we celebrated his birthday in Kent, OH. I took him to Long John Silver's and we split a piece of red velvet cake from WalMart bakery in the cab of the van in a truckstop parking lot. It was very good for an Expediter Birthday.

lol You are very descriptive about how this job can be. At least you guys were together; even if it was in some truck stop out on the road!

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ok, What kind of vehicle, and what kind of job do you really want, You drive a semi now and you saw the EXPEDITERS coming and going, Will you need a Truck, there isnt anywhere you actually rent or lease an expediter, so COST going in is high, Vans are the least expensive, then a Sprinter, the 3500 SERIES Box trucks and on up to a Single axle straight truck, and the Big Fellas the Dual axle 33,000lb and over Guys...There are used vehicles abounding but most have HIGH MILES.

The Business is as said before EMERGENCY, JUST IN TIME DELIVERY, Middle of the Night calls gotta have it be on time better be there or else freight !!!! But before the phone rings you WAIT...hopefully not long but waiting is very much part of Expediting. If you were sitting in a Semi with a condo and waiting for your load you probably get loaded faster then us. BUT ....

Expedited freight pays better due to its nature, HURRY UP, so between HURRY UP and WAIT.
Im not gonna say what you get paid a year, I think thats based on YOU, If your dedicated and can live on the road in parking lots and weird places and dont mind travelling the unbeaten path and can be on time, be dedicated to dispatch and your customers you can do alright. Your not gonna be a rich man, but if your a worker bee its your money, DRIVE and EARN IT....

Find a small carrier and LEARN THE TRICKS OF THE TRADE, read the Book, the Forum, Talk to the drivers, Its not that different from Trucking except your not going home every weekend,or maybe every two weeks or three, your a road ready on call delivery service and to get the IMPORTANT CALLS, Meaning the good paying loads you better answer your phone at 1 am, 5 am, 10 am, while bathing, shopping, whatever...BE READY TO GO.

I think its a great way to earn a living I enjoy the highway, but its after you deliver and then go and sit, and sit, and sit thats drives many regular truckers out of this biz, sometimes days can go by with no loads, somedays you pay to drive a couple hundred miles to put youirself closer to better freight OPPORTUNITY, There are places and areas of the country that are barren of expedited loads, although you might get sent there, youll never find a load back, so you weigh the costs and what the carrier offers you to go there etc.....

YOU ARE YOUR OWN BOSS, thats why I say what you earn is totally up to your efforts Alone ~~~

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
lol You are very descriptive about how this job can be. At least you guys were together; even if it was in some truck stop out on the road!

We know, truly know, how fortunate we are to be able to be together on the road. So long as I don't eat the last of the popcorn, lol.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Something that I dont understand about on this forum is all the people saying how you cant make it in the trucking business or your not going to make much. If that is the case then while the hell is everyone on here truckers lol.

Look close, here is what you will see:

1. People who take on the job for income. Period. A little something is better than a whole lotta nothing

2. People who have wanderlust, and might as well get paid something for it. Most of these people have another source of income

3. People who just have a passion for it

The freight rates are always going to be a sore spot. This is a competitive field. Some months are slam-bammin', others not so much. The biggest thing to remember: it's expedite. There are no guarantees in this type of cargo.