Looking to drive but dont know where to start

Camocatfish

New Recruit
Researching
Hi there. My name is Thomas harrawood and I'm looking to become a expiditor. I have no experience in the field and to be honest I don't know where to start. I'm 19 years old with no cdl, no insurance, nothing. I want to drive a sprinter van around America but I don't know if I'm even eligible for that because of my age. If any of you guys got anything to share with me please do. Anything helps.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You love traveling and decide you want to be a plumber, lab technician, dental hygienist, barber, real estate broker, or maybe paralegal. What is the first thing you do? You go to school and study and learn all you can over many months. Then you finally know enough to be dangerous but capable so you can proceed. So, if you want to be an expediter the first thing you do is go to expediter school.

That's here, on EO. You read back a minimum of 5 years in the General, Newbie and Recruiter forums. You read every single thread title as you studiously work your way back. If the thread title sounds like it is in any way the least bit pertinent to your expediting goals you read every word in that thread. That will take you several weeks minimum. Once you've done that you'll know enough to know how much you don't know but you'll know enough to ask the right questions to learn more of what you need to know.

Expediting is FAR more than opening the door to allow someone to load freight into your vehicle and turning the ignition key. You won't become any of those other career options without major studying and training. This is no different if you want to succeed. The turnover rate for expediting is often greater than 100% because too many people think it's turn the key and go. Good luck.

Camocatfish

New Recruit
Researching
What if I were just just expedite on my own. Instead of working for a fleet I just work by myself, buy a sprinter van, and just take jobs I find online. I don't know if that would work or if insurance would even cover someone under 21. but I'm also not looking for a life long career. I'm just looking to do this for a year or two to make some money to pay for college and then either stop or keep going.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The problem is, no insurance company will touch you under 21 for expediting. To go out on your own to haul freight you still have to have your Operating Authority to legally haul freight and you have to file your insurance with the DOT to do that.

Expediting is not a "have van, make easy money" type of business. That's why most people are out of this business within a year, because they mistakenly think it's just that easy. For quick and easy money you need to be looking at something like Uber Eats, GrubHub or DoorDash. You'll make more money with far fewer expenses doing food delivery than you will in van expedite.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Or get a HIGH efficiency car like a Prius, Ioniq etc. and do Uber/Lyft. Or find one of the fast food places posting signs on FB paying $18 an hour. Way more money than expediting. Heck, you're young and full of vinegar, do both, live at home, pile up the money.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You love traveling and decide you want to be a plumber, lab technician, dental hygienist, barber, real estate broker, or maybe paralegal. What is the first thing you do? You go to school and study and learn all you can over many months. Then you finally know enough to be dangerous but capable so you can proceed. So, if you want to be an expediter the first thing you do is go to expediter school.

That's here, on EO. You read back a minimum of 5 years in the General, Newbie and Recruiter forums. You read every single thread title as you studiously work your way back. If the thread title sounds like it is in any way the least bit pertinent to your expediting goals you read every word in that thread. That will take you several weeks minimum. Once you've done that you'll know enough to know how much you don't know but you'll know enough to ask the right questions to learn more of what you need to know.

Expediting is FAR more than opening the door to allow someone to load freight into your vehicle and turning the ignition key. You won't become any of those other career options without major studying and training. This is no different if you want to succeed. The turnover rate for expediting is often greater than 100% because too many people think it's turn the key and go. Good luck.
LDB, if you dont mind I'd like to post this to a group on fb that Allen Paxton and Ziggy is part of for alot of the so called professional people there.

Always tell all the new ones asking how to get started to come here and read back 10 years then find a good O/O to drive for awhile to learn how this industry works.

Ive always respected what all yall veterans of the industry posted here. And tried to follow advice given here. It worked out great for me. And wished I could have met alot of yall.
Poor ole Turtle, I'd love to pick his little brain about the battery bank setup he's posted many time

Reactions: Turtle

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LDB, if you dont mind I'd like to post this to a group on fb that Allen Paxton and Ziggy is part of for alot of the so called professional people there.

Always tell all the new ones asking how to get started to come here and read back 10 years then find a good O/O to drive for awhile to learn how this industry works.

Ive always respected what all yall veterans of the industry posted here. And tried to follow advice given here. It worked out great for me. And wished I could have met alot of yall.
Poor ole Turtle, I'd love to pick his little brain about the battery bank setup he's posted many time
You're welcome to post it if you wish. Just let me know where it is so I can check it out.

Reactions: Jason2

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
LDB, The group on fb

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211104-161216_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20211104-161216_One UI Home.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 11

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Poor ole Turtle, I'd love to pick his little brain about the battery bank setup he's posted many time"

A battery bank setup is great and all, but the problem is, unless it has solar powered recharge capabilites, you have to run the van or generator to power a recharger to bring the battery bank voltage back up. That's why I always ran a generator instead of a battery bank setup. My replacement van I'm going to have a generator, 2 lithium ion batteries with 2 solar panels and all that goes with it, and a shore power outlet. The thing is, a solar/battery setup really can't run a rooftop a/c unit, or high power draw items. Sure, they came out with a battery powered rooftop a/c unit, but it is only like 7,000 btu's and costs over $2,000...

I'm rambling here. Sorry to steer off course on this thread. Lol

Reactions: 96to22

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
LDB, The group on fb
Just be careful on any form of social media, website, etc, as who to believe. Have discernment. Be cautious, skeptical. I'm not saying everyone is wrong, but many have their own ideas on how to do this business, even those who are newbies and all of a sudden telling others how to do it with little experience on YouTube..... Kinda like those mega carriers putting a 2 month old new cdl holder in a truck, teaching other newbies how to drive an 18 wheeler.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The problem with solar on the roof is, depending on your 24 hour Ah requirements, it won't provide anywhere near the amp hours necessary to fully recharge your battery bank. And once you start charging the battery bank you need to continue the charge until the bank is fully charged, something that's nearly impossible to do on the road, even with a combination of alternator, solar and generator.

But the ideal setup is the battery bank for running house loads when sitting, and an Espar heater in the winter, and generator to run an air conditioner in the summer and to keep the battery bank charged, and maybe solar to get a few more ah back into the battery bank.

Li-on batteries are great, and well worth the expense when you get them early in the van's life, because they recharge rather quickly and you don't have to worry about sulfation if your don't fully recharge them every time you charge. They should last the life of the van.

Last edited: