Looking to buy FL70 HELP

bushrod

Expert Expediter
I;am new to Expedite not to Driving;looking for FL70. Are they good trucks for expedite freight ie: what kind of miles should I look for on the used Truck and are good overall. I know you guys know. Help? :D

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Are FL70's good trucks for expedited freight? Well, they get the job done, but there are MUCH better trucks out there to use. It was just a very popular truck at one time for its overall class 7 economy, even I had one myself.
Used FL70's can be found cheaply, but are often near the end of their useful life to be used on the highway. Once they have over 500k miles on them they become due for heavy repairs, some to the extent of very costly engine and transmission overhauls.
Dollar for dollar you are best to look for a good low mileage class 7 Pete 330 or KW T300, or one of the many used million mile projected class 8 trucks on the market as opposed to an FL70 or 80. There are plenty of them out there, matter of fact a few weeks ago FlameMerc came across a decent used class 8 Volvo for under $28k. Take the time to shop around, and you will for sure come across something much better than the FL70 that is in your price range.
Always be cautious, and have a mechanic inspect your prospects.

-Weave-

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I agree, you can do better. A class 8 chassis is the way to go if you can afford it. Good luck and spend the extra money on a good inspection it could save you thousands of dollars.

bluegoose94

Expert Expediter
the FL70&80's where built for local work. like most say after 500,000 look for a engine or transmission to go. the class 8 is the way to go a bit more but last longer.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Over the years, the two most frequently asked questions seem to be: 1). How to stay warm in the winter? and 2). What about the Freightliner FL70? It seems that just about everyone agrees that the FL70 is the entry level truck for expeditor want-a-be's on a tight budget. They are cheap, and you get what you pay for. They haul a lot of freight annually. As the owner of a 1998 FL70 with 450,000 miles on the Cat 3126. I can assure you it is not the cadillac of trucks. They are noisy, constantly in need of minor repairs (older trucks), and are prone to serious mechanical failures. Especially those equipped with Cat 3126's and Spicer 7 speed trans. No one that I know of can recommend the Spicer and the Cat 3126 has a large number of unhappy customers, but also has supporters. I have not had any serious mechanical problems with my truck in the nearly 4 years I have owned it. I do keep the weight below 26,000 lbs. and do not push the RPM's. Oil is maintained regularily (9,000 miles) and I keep a close eye and ear on the mechanical side. The truck has no oil leaks and burns little between changes. I have seen 3126's with over 600,000 miles on them.

If you purchase any older truck, you really need to be able to do the minor repairs yourself.

The truck was cheap and served my needs. If I replace it, it will probably be with a better (newer and quieter) truck with more horsepower. But this truck owes me nothing. I have gotten my monies worth out of it.

Drive Safe.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I am amazed at how many FL70's are actually used . I was once a driver for a truck repair company and drove a lot of customers' FL70's . They aren't quality trucks . International makes a much more reliable truck . See the post about the DT466 engine .

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well I don't want to announce my mileage on my FL 70 as you know you will regret it,But My FL 70 has grossed over 1 million dollars with very little down time.Take good care of it and it will take good care of you.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Rich,

Wow! Over 1,000,000 miles on an FL 70? That is awesome, I guess it's all in the PMS.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Lawrence thats a Gross of 1 million dollars,not 1 million miles,still have a way to go to get there but it,s getting close.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Rich,

Note to self - read entire post before responding. LOL!

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yes Lawrence, you may have missed one when you said there are always
two sides to a story on another thread. Actually, there are three sides. Side 1.
Side 2.
Facts/truth

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
OK, now a Full Bird Colonel can go after me,Terry,Davekc,Dreamer but leave our founder of this forum ALONE. LOL

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rich, I'm already pondering what to get you for your FL70 one million mile award; I know you will make it! :7 But at least now we know who that fabled expediting millionare is:7 :7
-Weave-