Looking to Become an O/O

Joshua Robichaud

New Recruit
Researching
Morning,

I am looking to start my own company and looking for help. I have been a company driver since 1997 and want to start my own company. I just have no idea where to start. Between the steps of registering my company permits, financing etc..... any help that you can lend would be appreciated

thanks

josh

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Joshua, You ask a very broad question that can't be answered without a novella sized response. Do you want to be a Motor Carrier with a fleet of trucks driven by company drivers. or a Motor Carrier with a gaggle of Fleet Owners , or do you want to buy a fleet of one or more trucks and lease on with an established Motor Carrier, or do you want to buy one truck and lease on with a Motor Carrier as an Independent Contractor.

Whatever you desire, you should consider the Expedite Expo in Lexington in July. All of your questions could be answered in detail by myriad companies and people knowledgeable in the expedite business. See the home page for Expo details

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Well Joshua, that would qualify you as a business owner. You used the proper term, business because, one truck or a hundred, you must treat your involvement as a business before you even buy a truck. Whether you need to share it with a banker or other support, you should consider developing a simple business plan so that you can forecast your business trends and financial requirements. If you don't already have a CDL, you must be thinking cargo van. That's a business but one with a very small profit margin. I'm a firm believer in having a CDL, even if you operate a cargo van. A class C CDL with a Hazmat endorsement demonstrates that the holder has learned the very basic knowledge of a commercial motor vehicle operator and is able to identify Hazmat and the simple rules associated with those commodities. Most, and I mean most, of the drivers I have met do not know how to perform a pre-trip vehicle inspection and very few actually perform a complete inspection, as required by the FMCSA regulations every time before operating a truck. The inspection includes: Brakes, Lights, steering mechanism, reflectors, wheels,tires, rims lugs/nuts, horn, wipers, mirrors and all of the required emergency equipment. You need to be knowledgeable about these things to pass any class of CDL. As a carrier or shipper, I would want to know that you are well versed on these things.
As an Independent Contractor, a motor carrier cannot train you how to perform your job, they do that for employees. The carrier will, or should; however, show you how to complete their paperwork and explain all of their policies for which you are expected to comply.
Back to the biz plan. You'll need to understand your insurance requirements as an owner and your federal, State and local tax obligations. Once again, Plan on going to the expedite expo; it will be well worth your time and expense to attend.

Reactions: RFL Inc

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
By the way, Joshua, what size truck do you have in mind to enter the world of expediting, Cargo Van, Tractor/trailer or something in between.?

DelivRyMan

Active Expediter
Driver
Do a Google search for "TheCrafty Trucker" for their YouTube channel and scroll through their uploaded videos; they have a number of videos discussing finding carriers and getting started in expediting.

Joshua Robichaud

New Recruit
Researching
By the way, Joshua, what size truck do you have in mind to enter the world of expediting, Cargo Van, Tractor/trailer or something in between.?
Looking at straight truck. Would like to have reefer as it opens me up to more opportunities

Truckster1036

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im going down to the Expo in july in lexington im like you joshua im wanting to get into the expediting buisness and need alot of ansers to many of my questions.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
My question is even tho many of us are helpful...why should we tell you how to operate in this business and help you take freight/money out of own pocket. Van/Sprinter segment is over crowded.

Kinda like McDonalds telling you how to compete with them for their business with a fast food restaurant.

Sent from my SM-G965U using EO Forums mobile app

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
We helped the OP for the same reasons we helped you several years ago. It's what this site is all about. There have been continuous complaints of an over saturated van market since the proliferation of expediting and van use during the mid '90's and I suspect those complaints will continue into the '20's. You raised a good analogy with your McDonnalds comment; however, we're all here because of the help of each other, including EO, Expo and the folks of OntimeMedia whose promotion of the expedite industry has, in large part, created opportunity for all of us.

Reactions: C&J

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
My question is even tho many of us are helpful...why should we tell you how to operate in this business and help you take freight/money out of own pocket. Van/Sprinter segment is over crowded.

Kinda like McDonalds telling you how to compete with them for their business with a fast food restaurant.

If Van/sprinter is over crowded, why are You in it? Why don't you move out of it? When you got into it, did you not take away business from other van drivers??????

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Fleet Owner Conversations: Bryan Bishop

This was an article from EO "In The News"

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator

He was asking about Str8 trucks, not Sprinter vans!

Reactions: ucfd608