Looking to become a Expediter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Regarding your concern about "getting the miles," interview some fleet owners and ask them what kind of miles and revenue their drivers are producing. They will likely give you a range based on how their their best and not-so-best teams perform. Then ask what the best teams are doing to produce the results the not-so-best teams are not. Then ask yourselves if you are up to doing the same.

Smokediver511

Seasoned Expediter
Good Point!..Thanks to you guys and this Site...Things are falling more into place.

SmokeDiver & Company
Stacy & Sheryl Stiltner

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think you got it. Keep in mind that some carriers may not pay deadhead or empty moves. The cost to move in those cases would come out of your pocket if doing a 60/40 split. You would have to be doing very major deadheading to offset the difference.
Again, do you want to make money, or have an expensive convenience provided for you? Of course some fleet owners would disagree, but that is understandable as they think they make less in this situation.
Personally, I think I pick up the difference through better maintained trucks.
I should add as well that .20 cents is just a questimate based on several carriers. We have lately been getting FSC closer to the 30 cent mark. We had a couple this week at 16 and 17 cents, and had a few above .40 cents.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Smokediver511

Seasoned Expediter
Great,
Sometimes im not the Brightest light bulb!. Anyway that sounds great.I was hoping my way of computing the numbers was right.(just got to get the real numbers to work in my favor) We think after talking with several owners we have finalley found the right one, Who we think knows how to run there bussness and trucks and not just running it the seat of there paints. We will be running with PantherII.

SmokeDiver & Company
Stacy & Sheryl

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
I've found carrying a note book and pen helped to jot down what folks were telling me during those encounters at truck stops or where ever. It also seemed to help trim off the BS some folks coat when giving grandiose responses.

Keeping notes helped me better analyze what information I collected and how it could be helpful to narrow the field.

The more drivers and O/O you speak with the better picture you will develop.

Needless to say reading EO archives will also be a great asset.

Good Luck

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Smoke,this is expedite,what is good for one,just wont work for another.some are willing to dead head for no pay, rather than sit,others will sit 'til hell freezes over,in any event,the money is there to be made,you just have to have a positive attitude.If your with a company that pays mileage,they may not let you move til they find a load for you,which will lower your overall pay,if on percentage,a discount load will pay less than you may want,but might be better than sitting around for days.Everyone on here has there own ideas,what might work for them,may not be what your after.Good luck to you

Smokediver511

Seasoned Expediter
Well i/m going to do my best to make it work!,,Take the good and the bad and find that sweet spot that works for me. U guys have a great week!

SmokeDiver & Company
Stacy & Sheryl Stiltner

Smokediver511

Seasoned Expediter
Just letting you know thanks for all the info i have got from you and the post i have read from you. They all helped a lot. We did our research and decided to go with panther, we was in there class this past week, 25-27. anyway, we are still waiting on our owners truck to get out of the shop, its a new truck but it has a sickness, anyway. Hopes to see you guys sometime down the road

Truck 5837

SmokeDiver & Company
Stacy & Sheryl Stiltner