Looking for first Straight Truck job

paullud

Veteran Expediter
A lot of the training companies still want you to do unlimited training miles for $250-$400 per week salary.
Bro-in-law stayed out 4 months straight at low money to pay off Stevens last year.
He got lucky and got a home everyday TT gig out of Phoenix.
Kid's neighbor just finished training at Werner. He went to NC to get his truck. There were about 30 drivers waiting so he went home. He scored a local job with a garbage company. He drives a straight 4 days a week, a TT one day a week. Home everyday
There must be jobs out there for those who look. .

I have found it best to try and find a midsize carrier to go with for training. The big boys, you know the ones that make up the ATA still like to abuse and take advantage of drivers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I have a question for Mr. Big Cat.
Nothing to do with the first question. I have had a Class B since 1969. A 24' Goose neck flat bed. I haul hay, logs, move tractors for the locals. I had and sold a 28' fifth wheel travel trailer. Have taken both up to New Hampshire and back more then once. I realize moving up in class to a T\T or a flat bed or step deck is a BIG change.

What I am failing to understand is the emphasis in trucking magazines in the difference in the larger trucks. I. E. Flat bed experience needed.
The only difference I have noticed is when a T\T dry van blows by me going through West Virginia with the fifth wheel rocking like a bottle in the ocean.

Other then proper securement (sp) what's the difference?

The reason companies require the experience is because it proves you have the discipline and patience to do the job at hand correctly. As opposed to someone like me who swings doors and drop and hook all the time.

Someone with experience knows what they are getting into and companies like that. There are a few flatbed training companies that pay really good but the turnover is much higher than say, lone star or daily express. Reason for that is as I said above, only hire experienced drivers and not ones that have pulled van but wants to TRY flatbed.

Fwiw I have done both and enjoyed both but company I am with now has me home every other weekend but we only pull van.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well folks, I took my test today and passed so I'm officially a class a cdl holder. I got a week to set down and figure out what I want to do. This seems to be the hardest part for me, I mean if I go with the company, I'll be making. 25cpm.... I just gotta set down and pick my brain and see what I can come up with.

Thank you all for everything

Congratulations and if you have any questions or concerns about driving TT just ask and there are several of us here that are current and former TT drivers.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The reason companies require the experience is because it proves you have the discipline and patience to do the job at hand correctly. As opposed to someone like me who swings doors and drop and hook all the time.

Someone with experience knows what they are getting into and companies like that. There are a few flatbed training companies that pay really good but the turnover is much higher than say, lone star or daily express. Reason for that is as I said above, only hire experienced drivers and not ones that have pulled van but wants to TRY flatbed.

Fwiw I have done both and enjoyed both but company I am with now has me home every other weekend but we only pull van.

Companies have value for a driver that knows how to properly and safely secure freight to prevent damage, tickets, and accidents.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Well when I started with ozark in march they required experience and treated drivers with respect (the 7 letter word that we don't get) but have since started a training program and that caused our miles to drop and no pay increases. I honestly believe I would be better off with swift. Oh yeah they have a ton of students lining up waiting for their chance to run solo miles at $.14 cpm. I tell all my friends asking about training to stay the hell away. Prime pays $600 a week in training then when you go solo in a lightweight truck you get $.41 cpm plus fuel bonuses.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well when I started with ozark in march they required experience and treated drivers with respect (the 7 letter word that we don't get) but have since started a training program and that caused our miles to drop and no pay increases. I honestly believe I would be better off with swift. Oh yeah they have a ton of students lining up waiting for their chance to run solo miles at $.14 cpm. I tell all my friends asking about training to stay the hell away. Prime pays $600 a week in training then when you go solo in a lightweight truck you get $.41 cpm plus fuel bonuses.

Sounds good, maybe I can talk my wife into going there to get her license.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
They got a good training program Paul. I have considered going back but I think I have a local tanker job lined up.

Jpatt88

Rookie Expediter
Thanks Paullud. I couldn't agree more BigCat, Prime was my first choice but they had a hold at the time and being the newbie I was/am, I just on the first immediate opportunity. It was difficult, I was setup for failure right off the bat but fortunately I managed to pull it out and finish the program. I was 1 out 10 who managed to pass in my state from the school. It's not that I can drive good, it's simply because I managed to learn faster than the other people and was fortunate enough to get an excellent road trainer. I just don't want to work for this company, the people are disrespectful (beyond normal) and the pay is pathetic.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Paullud. I couldn't agree more BigCat, Prime was my first choice but they had a hold at the time and being the newbie I was/am, I just on the first immediate opportunity. It was difficult, I was setup for failure right off the bat but fortunately I managed to pull it out and finish the program. I was 1 out 10 who managed to pass in my state from the school. It's not that I can drive good, it's simply because I managed to learn faster than the other people and was fortunate enough to get an excellent road trainer. I just don't want to work for this company, the people are disrespectful (beyond normal) and the pay is pathetic.

There are only a few companies out there that you will find treat the drivers with respect. It is the reason you will find companies like Load1 and Landstar have very happy drivers that brag about how happy they are. I drive for a smaller company so we have more of a family atmosphere but the training companies that can take on rookies won't typically have that. I worked for Arnold Transportation which is owned by US Xpress and you would walk into the office where you could hear the office personnel openly bad mouthing drivers as a group. I didn't care because I was there for the paycheck and benefits, not respect. Just remember that you will have to put up with some garbage especially being new but this is work so it isn't always going to be enjoyable.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
There are only a few companies out there that you will find treat the drivers with respect. It is the reason you will find companies like Load1 and Landstar have very happy drivers that brag about how happy they are. I drive for a smaller company so we have more of a family atmosphere but the training companies that can take on rookies won't typically have that. I worked for Arnold Transportation which is owned by US Xpress and you would walk into the office where you could hear the office personnel openly bad mouthing drivers as a group. I didn't care because I was there for the paycheck and benefits, not respect. Just remember that you will have to put up with some garbage especially being new but this is work so it isn't always going to be enjoyable.

Same way it is where I'm at Paul. They are having more 10 and 20 year drivers leaving every day. This is the reason they started a training program.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Congrats, Jpatt! I'm going to jump in on the side of those who think it's best to drive T/T for a year, even if you end up switching to a S/T. [Much easier than doing it the other way round, lol] Think of it as a postgrad education, or paying your dues, but when the year is finished, you'll have a lot more options, and the knowledge & experience to know which way to go. Best of luck!

aimeejos

Active Expediter
One thing I haven't seen mentioned in other replies: once you have the license you have to get the experience... Let me try to explain- to drive TT at FedEx CC you need to have your license for more than 1 year and they require Verifiable experience in a TT.. So if you start out in ST at FedEx with the plan to switch to TT after you get the feel for expedite you won't be able to because you won't have the required TT driving time..,make sense? You could have a class A for 20 years but without recent experience its no good at some companies. Hope I explained clearly...(and for those familiar with FedEx this just changed in the new contracts we just got) personally I was able to come to fedex CC with no experience 2 yrs ago but I was considered a trainee and my truck only got solo-driver miles until I had 6 months. Now I own my own truck and we do awesome with FedEx!