Looking for a spreadsheet application

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
We have been using a pen and paper accounting system but find the expense of copying and faxing to the accountant to be expensive as wellas time consuming. I would like to convert to a spreadsheet application that can be emailed. What system do you recommend?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Some use quick books but we prefer Microsoft Excel. Can be emailed the whole nine yards. Probably the widest usage for a business application.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ihamner

Expert Expediter
We checked with our accountant and he suggested we use Quicken because it interacts with what he uses. You might want to ask your accountant before you invest in a program.

ih
FedEx CC
Staying alive is nice, but you can't do that forever. It's HOW you live
the life you have while you have it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You'll have to decide for yourself if this idea is worth the effort. CompUSA has a nationwide chain of stores. They offer one-day classes on Microsoft Excel and other computer programs. Their level-one course will benefit you no matter what spreadsheet program you use. A number of self-training options are also sold at CompUSA. Most stores have a training department. It may be worth your time to stop in and visit with a trainer there to see if such a course would meet your needs.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Our accountant wants either Quik Books or Quicken which ever you are most comfortable with. I think you should also check with your accountant.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for all the input. I guess I should have clarified something in the original post. Tod is the record keeper. He prefers the Dome Book method and has impecable handwriting and math skills. He is also having surgery on both hands in a week, so the bookkeeping will be my responsilbility. I prefer Microsoft Excal and am familar with it from previous employment positions. I just thought there might be something better suited for the trucking industry.

I appreciate your help.:)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The pencil and paper method is time-honored and has numerous advantages over computer spreadsheets. Pencil and paper does not need batteries, an expensive machine to use it, and backup and storage is more reliable than anyhing invented since stone tablets.

Since you are familiar with Excel, you might think about developing a spreadsheet that mirrors the Dome system you have been using for years. That puts both you and him on familiar ground.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
In having a spread sheet what are you most intrested in getting out of it?

What do you want it to tell you? I do mine by hand, basically the envelope system and I am trying to figure out what more I should have at hand. Any help would be appriciated.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Beginning Jan 2007 I will use a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet. I am setting it up with the same cateories my accountant will need for tax preparation. I will be able to email my monthly or quarterly reports to the accountant. Also by using the speadsheet as a base applicaion, I can then copy certain categories into a graph or pie chart for easy viewing and conparison. I think it will work out.