log book question

Marty

Veteran Expediter
If I buy a cube van with a gvw of 12,000lbs, must I run a log book if I keep the combined weight of truck and load under 10,000lbs?
I don't know if the under 10,000lbs rule for not having to log applies to vehicles rated at under 10,000lbs or to vehicles which actually weigh less than 10,000lbs when scaled.

Thank you,
Marty

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_5_16.gif Marty the GVW applies to the GVW of under 10000lbs. If you register your cube van and tag it as under 10000lbs that I do believe you will not have to run a log. That means if the cube is 9800lbs empty then you can only haul 200lbs, or you will be considered over weight and get find accordingly if cot. If the vans empty weight is 7800lbs you can haul 2199 lbs and be okay. No log needed. If you register and tag the van at 12000 but only weigh 9999lbs you will still have to run a log. Did I make sense? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_135.gif

us_roadrunner

Expert Expediter
Tony is right on. It's your registered GVW that determines whether you are under logbook rules or not. If registered under 10,000 then you are not required to keep a log, if registered at 10,000 or more then you are. As he noted, with the cube van registered at 10,000 you will want to be careful not to exceed the 10,000lb. gross vehicle weight when loaded or you are subject to fines or penalties accordingly.

Brian

aka us_roadrunner

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi,

The other two responses are right on....

My company runs about (35) 12,000 and 14,500 GVWR Isuzu box vans
"rated" at the above weights...however we register them at 9900# so that we don't have to keep drivers logs...
The truck weigh in about 8300# and haul bulky body parts ( not much weight)...We label the trucks: GVW UNDER 10,000#...
These truck run 5 states ...s

Hope this helps......

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East"

Marty

Veteran Expediter
How can you register a vehicle for under 10,000gvw that has a manufacturer's vin tag on the door that states the gvw is 12,000lbs.? I called up the Department of Motor vehicles in Ohio and asked them if this could be done. They told me that they go by what I tell them so that I could register a vehicle at under 10,000gvw that has a 12,000gvw vin tag but if I get stopped buy a trooper I would get fined.
I would appreciate any more input on this matter.

Thanks,
Marty

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
GVW Do you know what that means??????????
That is the MAXIMUM allowed to put in or on that vehicle!!! You are legally allowed to change the Gross Vehicle Weight to the Empty Weight (Do you know what empty weight is?) In other words …You can down size but not up size!!!

I’ll try to make it simple!!! All Vehicles have 2 weights to them. There is the empty weight and the maximum full weight (AKA: GVW)
If you buy a cube its empty weight (the true weight of the vehicle with nothing in it) 9500lbs and you register the GVW as under 10000lbs then you are legally only allowed to haul 499lbs. BUT you will not have to run a log book!!! If you register the cube at 12000lbs GVW as that is the MAXIMUM GVW allowed then you can legally haul 2499lbs. One of the reasons the state will let a person down size is because lots of people will buy a bigger truck and make it into a camper never to haul any goods. I hope you know the answer to why a person can’t up size!!! Remember you can not regsiter the cube van for less than the empty weight is on the cube van.

There is no free lunch in trucking. Most states know all the tricks drivers have tried many years ago. If you want to haul and run with the big guys then you have to pay your dues just like the rest of us.
If you are going to buy a cube then your best to do it the right way and run as a C unit, and run logs. Or stick to a regular vans. It is better to run a log anyway!!! WHY! so you at least know what you did all year long.

You can spin this question anyway you want, till you get the answer your LOOKING for but the bottom line is if you down size you can not haul more and be legal!!!

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
only time you would have to log in a vch under 10,000 is if you carring a hazmat load, and if you have new york state plates on the
vch

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Why would you have to do logs while driving a vehicle with a gvw of 10,000lbs or under just because it has a New York plates?

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think geo is saying NY requires any commercial vehicle to run a log no matter what size it is. That is a state law or may have to do with insurance. Why is it geo???