Loads going cheap lately?

mr_durdan

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reading all these comments from you all has really given me some insight into how other carriers and dispatchers do business. So let me fill you in on how my experience has always been. The carrier I work for now (AA Express), and my previous carrier (KASCO Services) both handle loads the same way. I am rarely part of the negotiation process. In fact, I don't even get an RC sometimes until I'm already 10 miles down the road heading to the pickup. That only happens about 20% of the time, but it's frustrating as hell when the load turns out to be crap. I feel like I don't have an option at that point. Usually she just sends me a RC without even telling me what she's bidding on. I've declined a few of those when I see they aren't worth my time. It's like she only bids the load as if I'm already sitting on the parking lot of the shipper. I understand that she's competing against other companies that could have drivers much closer than me, but come on, use your brain. Yesterday I was sitting in Lincoln NE and she sends me a load picking up in St Joseph MO (145 miles away) and heading to Austin MN (350 miles). She bid 300! Thanks, but no thanks. I ended up getting a lower paying load, but with almost no DH, that had more profit for me.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dont move until you have confirmation that you have indeed been awarded the load.

And at what rate? I thought those kind of tactics went away years ago.

Your carrier: 1. Does not have good business practices. 2. Is not acting on your behalf. They care about themselves only.

I'd move on and find another carrier to work WITH.

Last edited:

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And btw ... NE?? Who goes out there and bids dirt cheap on loads is BEYOND ME?! That has always been a GREAT area for GOOD paying loads.

It's the individual operator's responsibility for being uninformed about the business.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And btw ... NE?? Who goes out there and bids dirt cheap on loads is BEYOND ME?! That has always been a GREAT area for GOOD paying loads.

It's the individual operator's responsibility for being uninformed about the business.
and yet again we have agreement? whats going on???....I've long preached we are "independent" owner operators....
If your carrier is not representing your best interest...time to look around for another and "fire" terminate your association with present carrier....

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Well.....reading Mr_durdan's post, I think he is trying to understand the business and is questioning things to learn. So, I wouldn't be so harsh (as some can be) to find fault with his thinking. I'm glad to hear another voice joining this age old discussion about rates. To me, and I studied at the OVM school, it is each individual's choice how they want run and who they want to run with/for. Also, that that relationship is meeting my needs BOTH monetary and personal. I feel like part of a team where I am. I don't need to know that I'm making the most in every load. I just need to know that I'm being treated fairly, making enough and having fun. That's my version of the 1/3, 1/3 & 1/3 method.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Well.....reading Mr_durdan's post, I think he is trying to understand the business and is questioning things to learn. So, I wouldn't be so harsh (as some can be) to find fault with his thinking. I'm glad to hear another voice joining this age old discussion about rates. To me, and I studied at the OVM school, it is each individual's choice how they want run and who they want to run with/for. Also, that that relationship is meeting my needs BOTH monetary and personal. I feel like part of a team where I am. I don't need to know that I'm making the most in every load. I just need to know that I'm being treated fairly, making enough and having fun. That's my version of the 1/3, 1/3 & 1/3 method.

Make sure you keep a case on that z3 my screen went totally dead the first time i dropped mine. Lesson learned....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

well you always want to maximize your income BUT not to the expense that you are sitting 2-4 days between loads most times...running steady at a rate YOU can live with is more important...then sitting over the difference of a nickle or dime...

Git_Delivery

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Greetings , a newbie but not fresh out the womb. I been jumping post to post to see what people know and don't know and its funny and sad at the same time. As IC'S , owners, you set own rate, it's your dinner plate you have to put food on. Someone who tells you run 130 DH miles and then another assumingly 500 miles for $300 have bumped their head on a bumper or something. Truth be told you have no idea what she bidded unless you see the paperwork. Regardless if you don't you should know your worth.
Ex. I had a medical contract 183 miles one way, $175 a night, problem was I was bring the totes back. So after confronting them on I should be making money on way back, they told me I was. After calculating cost, I was running for roughly 22-27 cent a mile.. GTFOH

Git_Delivery

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
My dispatcher was bidding .70 per mile around Dallas 2 days ago and couldn't win. I don't know about you all, but I didn't get into this business to make a Walmart greeter paycheck. The people taking loads for this cheap must have been dancing a jig for their meals before this. Last year I estimated my costs, for operating my van, to be .40 per mile. That doesn't include my meals or what I pay for anything else. So why would anyone drive all day and all night just to break even? Does math escape them?
[/QUOTE I completely agree, my rates are 1.50 and I divide that by 5, so at 30 cent a mile i'm good AFTER expenses.Some say that's high, my van still moves and the doors are still open and that the main thing to me.

Reactions: brokcanadian

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In fact, I don't even get an RC sometimes until I'm already 10 miles down the road heading to the pickup. Usually she just sends me a RC without even telling me what she's bidding on.
RC? Can someone help me here?